British Justice at its best or......
Just seen this on the news. I just find this sort of sentence for such serious crime baffling. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-le...e-57384393

Just thinking about the girls friends now only being 48 years old or so and he is coming out to be in society alongside them and their families, so appalling.
Here's a radical suggestion. Decriminalise the use of drugs and legalise drugs like cannabis and psilocybin so there's less capacity for profit in gangs so fewer people go to prison for drugs related offences, coupled with more lenient and rehabilitating sentencing for minor, nonviolent crimes, so prisons are less full and therefore we can give stricter and more appropriate sentences for things like this?
(06-07-2021, 05:10 PM)Borin' Baggie Wrote: Here's a radical suggestion. Decriminalise the use of drugs and legalise drugs like cannabis and psilocybin so there's less capacity for profit in gangs so fewer people go to prison for drugs related offences, coupled with more lenient and rehabilitating sentencing for minor, nonviolent crimes, so prisons are less full and therefore we can give stricter and more appropriate sentences for things like this?

I'm with you on that. I'm all for de-criminalising most drug use and taxing sales of cannabis and similar drugs providing they are restricted as much as possible to those under 18 or maybe slightly older. We need tougher sentencing more akin to USA. effectively he got 8 years for violent rape of a 15 year old girl and 8 years for murdering a 15 year old girl. Make it full sentences for each offence so he would need to serve at least 60 years. 

Imagine if you're the parent and a murderer and rapist has got 8 years for each of his crimes against your 15 year old - this is appalling by anyone's standards.
He's been in jail for 33 years. Are you suggesting that he's beyond rehabilitation? Or is it just vengeance?

On other matters I completely agree with BB.
(06-08-2021, 08:14 AM)Protheroe Wrote: He's been in jail for 33 years. Are you suggesting that he's beyond rehabilitation? Or is it just vengeance?

On other matters I completely agree with BB.

You should be able to see that I am saying the way we sentence in this country isn't tough enough  - are you suggesting that 33 years is enough for 2 rapes of 2 teenage girls and then 2 murders of teenage girls? 

I feel it would be much more appropriate for our law to be that each offence is sentenced separately so for example a life sentence for each murder and then the years added onto that for each rape or other offence committed. Tally them up and that's the sentence for him. So more like a 60 year minimum term but sentence at court would be around 90 years.

Our prison system also needs reforming for minor offenders with a better system involving open prisons so there isn't so much of a cliff edge when they come out which merely creates them going out into a desperate situation, commit another crime and return. I know several people who literally 'live' this lifestyle and have done for the past 10 years or more. It ends with drug use, mental health issues and continued cost to the taxpayer.

There's also many young people who merely as victims of circumstance, through the many issues they face end up in the youth justice system. There needs to be a point where services can intervene with tougher measures, earlier to achieve better outcomes for these young people nearing adulthood so they become productive members of society and not a cost for the taxpayer.
(06-09-2021, 10:10 AM)FenlandBoing Wrote: are you suggesting that 33 years is enough for 2 rapes of 2 teenage girls and then 2 murders of teenage girls?

Given the details of this individual's apparent rehabilitation, then yes.