WBAUnofficial
whose on the bench... back in the ode days - Printable Version

+- WBAUnofficial (https://wbaunofficial.org.uk)
+-- Forum: WBAUnofficial (https://wbaunofficial.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: WBAUnofficial (https://wbaunofficial.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: whose on the bench... back in the ode days (/showthread.php?tid=9797)

Pages: 1 2

whose on the bench... back in the ode days - ferencpuskas - 04-05-2020

that's just what it was, a bench, somewhere near the halfway line. Normally the manager, the "Trainer",and the reserve, sat there, not sub, the reserve was the 12th player, who once the team went out, that was it for him! The Trainer resplendant in an old tracksuit, bottoms tucked into his socks, a big cap, with a white enamel bucketful of cold water and a sponge, a towel over his shoulder, a first aid kit, with a few bandages, jar of vaseline/vick, and some smelling salts, all ready for use under the bench, oh and another ball just in case, the match ball was lamped out of the ground.    10 mins before half-time, the dressing room the big brown tea pot/kettle was filled with 1/2 lb of tea, 2lb of sugar, bottle of steralized milk, and put the on gas to boil. When we came in there was a steaming hot cup tea, looking like oxtail soup, and most of the lads lit up a fake ,10 mins later the Ref blew his whistle, and shouted " C'mon lads lets have ya," and out we went, the managers detailed  

instructions," Get stuck in lads, work 'kin hard an mek 'em hav it!  "ringing in our ears.  After the game, when we got dressed, there was always a ten-bob note in me shoe! Cool

RE: whose on the bench... back in the ode days - Tom Joad - 04-05-2020

The trainers bucket of water. I never stayed on the floor long enough to risk that. I reckon that'd see this bloody virus off!

RE: whose on the bench... back in the ode days - Remi_Moses - 04-05-2020

(04-05-2020, 10:00 AM)Tom Joad Wrote: The trainers bucket of water. I never stayed on the floor long enough to risk that. I reckon that'd see this bloody virus off!

What was magic about his sponge I never worked that one out?  Confused

RE: whose on the bench... back in the ode days - Tom Joad - 04-05-2020

(04-05-2020, 11:13 AM)Remi_Moses Wrote:
(04-05-2020, 10:00 AM)Tom Joad Wrote: The trainers bucket of water. I never stayed on the floor long enough to risk that. I reckon that'd see this bloody virus off!

What was magic about his sponge I never worked that one out?  Confused

The second anyone saw the trainer running on with his bucket and sponge, they were back on their feet. magic!

RE: whose on the bench... back in the ode days - ferencpuskas - 04-05-2020

Absolutely right Tom, the trainer probably did more damage than the injury  Big Grin !

RE: whose on the bench... back in the ode days - Remi_Moses - 04-05-2020

For those of us of the right age, what was that bloody awful stinky liniment oil/cream they used to rub on to your leg muscles.

RE: whose on the bench... back in the ode days - Fido - 04-05-2020

If you’re talking about Deep Heat you knew about it if you were fool enough to scratch your bollocks after application.

RE: whose on the bench... back in the ode days - Old Stroller - 04-05-2020

(04-05-2020, 04:39 PM)Remi_Moses Wrote: For those of us of the right age, what was that bloody awful stinky liniment oil/cream they used to rub on to your leg muscles.

Embrocation. One of the most evocative scents in my memory bank.

RE: whose on the bench... back in the ode days - JOK - 04-05-2020

(04-05-2020, 04:39 PM)Remi_Moses Wrote: For those of us of the right age, what was that bloody awful stinky liniment oil/cream they used to rub on to your leg muscles.

‘Oss lineament, we called it.

RE: whose on the bench... back in the ode days - yeoman lai - 04-05-2020

Ahh back in the day. It's coming to the fag end of my sunday league career, I turn up at West Smk park, hungover and it's freezing cold.. Manager says "you're sub today"... "wanna bet mate..tarra".. never played competitive football again.