WBAUnofficial
BBC website favouring Women's Football? - Printable Version

+- WBAUnofficial (https://wbaunofficial.org.uk)
+-- Forum: WBAUnofficial (https://wbaunofficial.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: WBAUnofficial (https://wbaunofficial.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: BBC website favouring Women's Football? (/showthread.php?tid=5024)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

RE: BBC website favouring Women's Football? - Duffers - 06-13-2019

I’m still struggling to see the issue here.

The BBC Sport website is leaning towards women’s sport because there is a major women’s sporting event going on right now. This means more women visiting the site so more stories to appeal to them. Nothing more sinister than that, no conspiracies, no feminist agendas. Why are people struggling with what is a fairly simple concept?

In a couple of weeks there will be lots of articles about tennis. I assume this will be symptomatic of the BBC’s pro-racket sport agenda.

RE: BBC website favouring Women's Football? - Derek Hardballs - 06-13-2019

(06-13-2019, 07:03 PM)fuzzbox Wrote:
(06-13-2019, 06:53 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(06-13-2019, 06:38 PM)fuzzbox Wrote:
(06-13-2019, 06:09 PM)backsidebaggie Wrote: And there we have it, anyone who thinks there's a disproportionate amount of womens sport reported on the BBC get labelled as things like "precious men"....

Nothing precious in the slightest, some of us just think its disproportionate pc nonsense driven by the bbc's agenda. I'm not on about the WC as such, I get why that is being reported heavily, but the amount of feminist slanted articles on there in general above far more popular sports is barmy.

But then anyone who has that view is labelled sexist etc etc. And people wonder why society becomes even more divided on all sorts of issues.

It's an all too predictable response. In fact, I did.

If someone doesn't agree with you, label them as something vulgar with absolutely no evidence. All it does is polarize viewpoint's. The sad thing is that it also legitimizes the extreme viewpoints that people are being accused of.  The real sexists/racists feel they  are not alone and get braver and more vocal.

If you really believe sexism is a serious issue and a serious problem, surely you should be careful before you accuse somebody of it? You wouldn't just accuse somebody of burglary without any evidence, so why sexism? Unless, of course, you really don't think its that serious and you're just virtue signalling.

Eh?

Which part haven't I made clear enough?

"Come off it you’re aren’t female or gay / bisexual etc so how can you speak about what issues have or haven’t been addressed / aren’t a problem?"

I remember you coming out with this when racism was being discussed. Then when I took a different viewpoint to you about racism, despite being black and therefore, according to you, being much more qualified to talk about it than you, you basically told me I was talking bollocks!  You said I couldn't represent every black experience! Although correct, it still strikes me as contradictory! We're all people and hopefully have empathy, so were all qualified at some level.

It does help if you reply to me not someone else Wink I’m not speaking on behalf of anyone else on this subject. You might not like that way of thinking but I cannot be empathetic when as an average middle aged white bloke I don’t feel qualified to say if the issues facing others have been addressed. Some might say that most of the problems facing the disabled have been addressed using the same logic and in that case I can say that’s total bollocks for example as I’m qualified to.

RE: BBC website favouring Women's Football? - Man of Harlech - 06-13-2019

(06-13-2019, 07:10 PM)Pipkins Wrote: I'm all for equality that the feminazi want

Men aren't allowed to wear bra's when playing the beautiful game so women shouldn't

This rule change needs to be brought in immediately for Simona Halep

(06-13-2019, 07:26 PM)Duffers Wrote: I’m still struggling to see the issue here.

The BBC Sport website is leaning towards women’s sport because there is a major women’s sporting event going on right now. This means more women visiting the site so more stories to appeal to them. Nothing more sinister than that, no conspiracies, no feminist agendas. Why are people struggling with what is a fairly simple concept?

In a couple of weeks there will be lots of articles about tennis. I assume this will be symptomatic of the BBC’s pro-racket sport agenda.

Arf exactly.

(06-13-2019, 07:06 PM)Fido Wrote:
(06-13-2019, 07:03 PM)fuzzbox Wrote:
(06-13-2019, 06:53 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(06-13-2019, 06:38 PM)fuzzbox Wrote:
(06-13-2019, 06:09 PM)backsidebaggie Wrote: And there we have it, anyone who thinks there's a disproportionate amount of womens sport reported on the BBC get labelled as things like "precious men"....

Nothing precious in the slightest, some of us just think its disproportionate pc nonsense driven by the bbc's agenda. I'm not on about the WC as such, I get why that is being reported heavily, but the amount of feminist slanted articles on there in general above far more popular sports is barmy.

But then anyone who has that view is labelled sexist etc etc. And people wonder why society becomes even more divided on all sorts of issues.

It's an all too predictable response. In fact, I did.

If someone doesn't agree with you, label them as something vulgar with absolutely no evidence. All it does is polarize viewpoint's. The sad thing is that it also legitimizes the extreme viewpoints that people are being accused of.  The real sexists/racists feel they  are not alone and get braver and more vocal.

If you really believe sexism is a serious issue and a serious problem, surely you should be careful before you accuse somebody of it? You wouldn't just accuse somebody of burglary without any evidence, so why sexism? Unless, of course, you really don't think its that serious and you're just virtue signalling.

Eh?

Which part haven't I made clear enough?

"Come off it you’re aren’t female or gay / bisexual etc so how can you speak about what issues have or haven’t been addressed / aren’t a problem?"

I remember you coming out with this when racism was being discussed. Then when I took a different viewpoint to you about racism, despite being black and therefore, according to you, being much more qualified to talk about it than you, you basically told me I was talking bollocks!  You said I couldn't represent every black experience! Although correct, it still strikes me as contradictory! We're all people and hopefully have empathy, so were all qualified at some level.

Surely even Dekka can’t have the last word after that put down Big Grin

On the contrary Wink

RE: BBC website favouring Women's Football? - Duffers - 06-13-2019

The other basic concept that people have missed is of course the BBC are plugging the WWC... they’re broadcasting it!

RE: BBC website favouring Women's Football? - fuzzbox - 06-13-2019

(06-13-2019, 07:27 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: It does help if you reply to me not someone else Wink I’m not speaking on behalf of anyone else on this subject. You might not like that way of thinking but I cannot be empathetic when as an average middle aged white bloke I don’t feel qualified to say if the issues facing others have been addressed. Some might say that most of the problems facing the disabled have been addressed using the same logic and in that case I can say that’s total bollocks for example as I’m qualified to.

...and if I was you, I would say you're talking bollocks and you can't speak for every disabled person!  
...and don't worry, some of my best friends are middle aged white men...I've even got one for a neighbour! He's alright, he keeps himself to himself.

A very big Wink

In all seriousness, it does make it clearer why you think what you do.

RE: BBC website favouring Women's Football? - backsidebaggie - 06-13-2019

(06-13-2019, 06:37 PM)Baggie Rick Wrote:

There isn't a disproportionate amount of womens sport reported on the BBC website as the original post (and you suggest).

BBC SPORT HOME PAGE LIVE

Football-women
Golf-men
Cycling-men
Cricket-women
Football-men
Football-women
Football-women
Netball-women
Cycling-men
F1-men
Cricket-men
Rugby-men

How is that disproportionate to showing more womens sport??

Yes, you are precious. 

Bet you don't, cook, clean, wash or iron as you're a big strong bread winning man!

Given many of the women’s sports stories have a very small readership due to lack of interest from the public, it is disproportionate. As I’ve said the present time is the WC so I understand the coverage of that.

I think you’ve got to be blind not to see the feminist agenda on there to be honest. It’s not so much the coverage of the sport itself, it’s the number of feminist slanted articles that’s so disproportionate.

Thanks for proving my point about the assumptions of my life though due to my view on this. Incidentally I don’t live with my Mrs so I cook, clean, wash etc all the time. And I’m not big and strong, But I got to laugh at the stereotypes.

RE: BBC website favouring Women's Football? - Baggie Rick - 06-13-2019

(06-13-2019, 08:04 PM)backsidebaggie Wrote:

There isn't a disproportionate amount of womens sport reported on the BBC website as the original post (and you suggest).

BBC SPORT HOME PAGE LIVE

Football-women
Golf-men
Cycling-men
Cricket-women
Football-men
Football-women
Football-women
Netball-women
Cycling-men
F1-men
Cricket-men
Rugby-men

Yes, you are precious. 

Bet you don't, cook, clean, wash or iron as you're a big strong bread winning man!

Given many of the women’s sports stories have a very small readership due to lack of interest from the public, it is disproportionate. As I’ve said the present time is the WC so I understand the coverage of that.

I think you’ve got to be blind not to see the feminist agenda on there to be honest. It’s not so much the coverage of the sport itself, it’s the number of feminist slanted articles that’s so disproportionate.

Thanks for proving my point about the assumptions of my life though due to my view on this. Incidentally I don’t live with my Mrs so I cook, clean, wash etc all the time. And I’m not big and strong, But I got to laugh at the stereotypes.

There you go, “I think” that’s your opinion, like arseholes, everyone has 1. 
You just don’t need to get so bothered about everything.

(06-13-2019, 07:47 PM)fuzzbox Wrote:
(06-13-2019, 07:27 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: It does help if you reply to me not someone else Wink I’m not speaking on behalf of anyone else on this subject. You might not like that way of thinking but I cannot be empathetic when as an average middle aged white bloke I don’t feel qualified to say if the issues facing others have been addressed. Some might say that most of the problems facing the disabled have been addressed using the same logic and in that case I can say that’s total bollocks for example as I’m qualified to.

...and if I was you, I would say you're talking bollocks and you can't speak for every disabled person!  
...and don't worry,  some of my best friends are middle aged white men...I've even got one for a neighbour! He's alright, he keeps himself to himself.

A  very big    Wink

In all seriousness, it does make it clearer why you think what you do.

I agree I can’t speak for everyone else, I do know the disabled community a lot better recently as I meet members of a disability group and there are broad themes /issues we all share that aren’t been dealt with but I still wouldn’t go into specifics on others behalf. 

In regards to the football I don’t think it’s much of an issue and I can understand the BBC’s position on it.

(06-13-2019, 08:04 PM)backsidebaggie Wrote:

BBC SPORT HOME PAGE LIVE

Football-women
Golf-men
Cycling-men
Cricket-women
Football-men
Football-women
Football-women
Netball-women
Cycling-men
F1-men
Cricket-men
Rugby-men

Yes, you are precious. 

Ffs Spandau, you’re missing the point the BBC are trying to redress the balance between the coverage of men’s and women’s sport. They shouldn’t be pandering to viewing / reader numbers as they do not have the same remit as commercial broadcasters. The higher profile you give the female game the more people will watch, engage and play the game. Heck they must be doing something right considering England’s first match was watched by 6m people which I think is 2m more than ever before.

RE: BBC website favouring Women's Football? - Spandaubaggie - 06-13-2019

(06-13-2019, 06:32 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(06-13-2019, 03:36 PM)Spandaubaggie Wrote:
(06-13-2019, 02:29 PM)backsidebaggie Wrote: The bbc’s Feminist agenda is embarrassing. I like some women’s sport but the number of articles about sexism, equal pay, how hard it is being a woman making a breakthrough etc is laughable. Only a couple of weeks ago I was laughing with mates about 3 of the top 8 articles being about the menstrual cycle and how it affects sport. This kind of thing is massively disproportionate reporting, but that’s the bbc for you. Even bbc4 is now riddled with pc nonsense.

Sometimes their website resembles a dumbed down lifestyle magazine for 16 year old girls rather than a quality sports website which it used to be.

It’s not just because the World Cup is on either. Stuff like netball is now regularly up the top of the sports stories ahead of far more popular sports. They’ve had to take the comments sections off pretty much all these stories as they get slated on them for their agenda.
Nailed on. Don't even get me talking about LGBT stories and the BBC. The focus on some issues are so driven by the fact they clearly have a bias towards certain minorities, who want to keep on harping on about their problem of being a minority, even though the issues they've fought for have been, by and large, achieved in this country.
It reminds me of an argument I had with a feminist about gays some 30 years ago. She brought up the topic of homophobia and I said: "I've got nothing against them. Her reply was: "So it's them and us!"
You can't argue with that way of thinking when you're a 6ft plus white heterosexual bloke who likes beer and football.

Come off it you’re aren’t female or gay / bisexual etc so how can you speak about what issues have or haven’t been addressed / aren’t a problem?

You seem to be missing the point that equal opportunities, that the BBC has to adhere to is about recognising that there isn’t a level playing field and trying to address that. This is exactly what the BBC is doing with their coverage of women’s football. I have found it annoying at times when they tell you Arsenal ladies results and ignore the Championship results given the disparity in audience but sadly you can’t please everyone.
Sorry Derek but I disagree, especially as a former news editor on a daily paper. News is news because it is deemed worthy to the readers. I sat in many a news conference where we discussed the merits before placing stories. Of course, all publications have a certain readership, but the BBC are a law unto themselves. 
I’m sure they have a very strong feminist and LGBT workforce who push their agendas.
I’m very liberal, welcome diversity, and hate the tide of intolerance happening at the moment, but the BBCs choice of news in recent years is getting more like the Pink News.