WBAUnofficial
BBC website favouring Women's Football? - Printable Version

+- WBAUnofficial (https://wbaunofficial.org.uk)
+-- Forum: WBAUnofficial (https://wbaunofficial.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: WBAUnofficial (https://wbaunofficial.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: BBC website favouring Women's Football? (/showthread.php?tid=5024)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

RE: BBC website favouring Women's Football? - Big Daddy Cool - 06-13-2019

Still seems to be a lot of caveman attitude towards women's football from some.

RE: BBC website favouring Women's Football? - The Real PK - 06-13-2019

(06-13-2019, 09:26 AM)Big Daddy Cool Wrote: Still seems to be a lot of caveman attitude towards women's football from some.

Agreed. It's fucking shite though

RE: BBC website favouring Women's Football? - Big Daddy Cool - 06-13-2019

(06-13-2019, 09:32 AM)The Real PK Wrote:
(06-13-2019, 09:26 AM)Big Daddy Cool Wrote: Still seems to be a lot of caveman attitude towards women's football from some.

Agreed. It's fucking shite though

To be fair we all used to watch a Tony Pulis team every week. In comparison the England women's team aren't too bad.

RE: BBC website favouring Women's Football? - The Real PK - 06-13-2019

But at least we weren't in denial about it by claiming it was entertaining! Big Grin

RE: BBC website favouring Women's Football? - fuzzbox - 06-13-2019

(06-13-2019, 09:08 AM)Lillwall\s left foot Wrote: https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2019/jun/12/womens-world-cup-shoved-down-mens-throats

Enjoyed the article, but like all the media, it nicely avoids the point that they're just not very good.

For me, this is the problem. If you want to watch it as a sporting spectacle and for the passion that goes with it - fine. We support West Brom, we get it. But waxing lyrically about the great skills just comes across as disingenuous at best, manipulative at worst.

The 'croyff turn' the BBC was orgasming about sums it up. Yes it was better than something I could have done in my prime, but only marginally and I'm a nobody. What it really showed was the absolutely appalling defending and the weak cross that could barely reach the first post. Again, I don't have a problem with the poor play (Again - West Brom?), but don't dress it up as some stroke of genius complete with a Johann Croyff montage.

Everytime I watch womens football or read about it, I feel like I'm being lied to by over-enthusiastic commentators avoiding the most obvious errors - something they wouldn't do in the mens game. No one likes to feel manipulated. Worse still, there's an unpleasant threat of being labelled as 'sexist' if you don't tow the line. Which is exactly what this article, amongst others, does. (Although personally a remainer, I imagine that's how some Brexiteers feel about being labelled as a racist if they don't agree)

All I'm saying is if they were a bit more honest and avoided the clickbait, I think they would probably get a more positive response. They haven't got to be mean, or take the piss. Be positive, but truthful. 'Sell it' if they must, but sell it as a passionate competition, not as some sort of Clash of the titans. Because nobody likes being lied to.

RE: BBC website favouring Women's Football? - Shabby Russian - 06-13-2019

(06-13-2019, 08:41 AM)FenlandBoing Wrote: I noticed on the Beeb yesterday that when you go to the football page and have to click on 'leagues and cups' to access the Championship and other league pages  - they have decided in their wisdom to now position 'Women's Football' directly below the Premier League and above 'The Championship' and all other leagues. Have we fallen this low lol 

A mistake or more political correctness going mad!!!?

It's an absolute disgrace. They will be wanting the vote next.

I wouldn't be surprised if it won't soon be illegal to beat your wife and dog with equal vigour.

The empire's lost.

On Sophie Jones I remember reading a prominent article on her in the Guardian.

RE: BBC website favouring Women's Football? - fuzzbox - 06-13-2019

(06-13-2019, 10:47 AM)Shabby Russian Wrote: On Sophie Jones I remember reading a prominent article on her in the Guardian.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/mar/20/sophie-jones-sheffield-united-tottenham-renee-hector

Not exactly on the same level though, is it? If women's football is as important as the other quoted article from the guardian says it is, why is that?

RE: BBC website favouring Women's Football? - Derek Hardballs - 06-13-2019

(06-13-2019, 10:38 AM)fuzzbox Wrote:
(06-13-2019, 09:08 AM)Lillwall\s left foot Wrote: https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2019/jun/12/womens-world-cup-shoved-down-mens-throats

Enjoyed the article, but like all the media, it nicely avoids the point that they're just not very good.

For me, this is the problem. If you want to watch it as a sporting spectacle and for the passion that goes with it - fine. We support West Brom, we get it. But waxing lyrically about the great skills just comes across as disingenuous at best, manipulative at worst.

The 'croyff turn' the BBC was orgasming about sums it up. Yes it was better than something I could have done in my prime, but only marginally and I'm a nobody. What it really showed was the absolutely appalling defending and the weak cross that could barely reach the first post. Again, I don't have a problem with the poor play (Again - West Brom?), but don't dress it up as some stroke of genius complete with a Johann Croyff montage.

Everytime I watch womens football or read about it, I feel like I'm being lied to by over-enthusiastic commentators avoiding the most obvious errors - something they wouldn't do in the mens game. No one likes to feel manipulated. Worse still, there's an unpleasant threat of being labelled as 'sexist' if you don't tow the line. (Although personally a remainer, I imagine that's how some Brexiteers feel about being labelled as a racist if they don't agree)

All I'm saying is if they were a bit more honest and avoided the clickbait, I think they would probably get a more positive response. They haven't got to be mean, or take the piss. Be positive, but truthful. 'Sell it' if they must, but sell it as a passionate competition, not as some sort of Clash of the titans. Because nobody likes being lied to.

But like most games where women play the same sport the difference in physicality will mean the standard of play will be different. Plus they are playing catch-up to mens game througg ni fault of their own. Those playing in the women’s game at the World Cup are the best standard the women’s game has, so that’s are the clash of the Titans. 

You wouldn’t have a commentator in athletics saying that was pretty fast but not as fast as a man can run whilst commentating on the women’s 100m sprint. Unless you treat the games with equality of opportunity / coverage you are never going to progress the women’s game. 

Likewise disabled sport should be given parity of opportunity on a public broadcasting channel. If it was a commercial channel chasing financial sponsorship then perhaps men’s sport should be given greater coverage.

(06-13-2019, 10:47 AM)Shabby Russian Wrote:
(06-13-2019, 08:41 AM)FenlandBoing Wrote: I noticed on the Beeb yesterday that when you go to the football page and have to click on 'leagues and cups' to access the Championship and other league pages  - they have decided in their wisdom to now position 'Women's Football' directly below the Premier League and above 'The Championship' and all other leagues. Have we fallen this low lol 

A mistake or more political correctness going mad!!!?

It's an absolute disgrace. They will be wanting the vote next.

I wouldn't be surprised if it won't soon be illegal to beat your wife and dog with equal vigour.

The empire's lost.

On Sophie Jones I remember reading a prominent article on her in the Guardian.

You’re new to Fenlands straight from the Conservative back benches posts then Wink

RE: BBC website favouring Women's Football? - The liquidator - 06-13-2019

when they start swapping shirts at full time thats when i will bother to watch the end of the match .

RE: BBC website favouring Women's Football? - WWHO - 06-13-2019

(06-13-2019, 11:03 AM)The liquidator Wrote: when they start swapping shirts at full time thats when i will bother to watch the end of the match .

Afternoon Jim Davidson ...