WBAUnofficial
Leko - Have we stunted his development? - Printable Version

+- WBAUnofficial (https://wbaunofficial.org.uk)
+-- Forum: WBAUnofficial (https://wbaunofficial.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: WBAUnofficial (https://wbaunofficial.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: Leko - Have we stunted his development? (/showthread.php?tid=4441)

Pages: 1 2

Leko - Have we stunted his development? - Albion - 05-16-2019

I believe we have considering he made his breakthrough 4 years ago. I still remember his Home debut against West Ham and then his performance against Liverpool. It was that summer he needed a loan move. He has stagnated and we are to blame for this as a club. We’ve chopped and changed too many times. There’s no universal philosophy throughout the club

RE: Leko - Have we stunted his development? - Lightnin - 05-16-2019

We seem to think that he'll make a very good centre forward as he doesn't tackle or seem to know how to do the defensive side of being a winger. Apparently, he was under some kind of strict centre forward coaching regime to try to convert him. I believe we've tried the same with Burke and it was at least good to Celtic playing Oli there despite how shit he may have been.

RE: Leko - Have we stunted his development? - Albion - 05-16-2019

(05-16-2019, 11:58 AM)Lightnin Wrote: We seem to think that he'll make a very good centre forward as he doesn't tackle or seem to know how to do the defensive side of being a winger. Apparently, he was under some kind of strict centre forward coaching regime to try to convert him. I believe we've tried the same with Burke and it was at least good to Celtic playing Oli there despite how shit he may have been.

Really? Apart from against Villa. In the cup games Leko has played as a No 10. Which for me is his beat position.

RE: Leko - Have we stunted his development? - Atomic - 05-16-2019

He's just not that good it's that simple. Any new player a fan sees, unless he has an obvious shocker, will always be seen in the positive because that's what fans look for. Harper is the latest example. After his first few games fans wouldn't say a bad word about him, after a run of games it's a different scenario. Has he actually deteriorated? No he hasn't. Fans forgive "mistakes" early on but after a run of games players start to get criticised for doing exactly what they were doing to start with because reality dawns (usually) that they are not THAT good.

Leko just isn't good enough for the top half of the Championship or the Premier League, never will be.

RE: Leko - Have we stunted his development? - Kit Kat Chunky - 05-16-2019

Bristol soon dropped him and sent him back.

RE: Leko - Have we stunted his development? - Ministry Of Silly Signings - 05-16-2019

Are our youth coaches as good as we maybe think? We seem to always have loads of great prospects, but few make it, admittedly it may help if the first team coach gave them a run.

RE: Leko - Have we stunted his development? - Statto - 05-16-2019

Academy football is lower intensity you play/I play football with little contact or attention to results. U23s the same.

First team football is results driven and physical, particularly in the championship.

They require different attributes.

RE: Leko - Have we stunted his development? - Ed Hopper - 05-16-2019

Very few youth players make it, possibly because they aren’t good enough rather than anything our coaches are doing

RE: Leko - Have we stunted his development? - Sotv - 05-16-2019

(05-16-2019, 12:03 PM)Kit Kat Chunky Wrote: Bristol soon dropped him and sent him back.

I think that’s the most telling story of his career so far. Did well when he initially went, faded quickly and couldn’t get back into the side

RE: Leko - Have we stunted his development? - ElbowGrease1973 - 05-16-2019

(05-16-2019, 12:03 PM)Kit Kat Chunky Wrote: Bristol soon dropped him and sent him back.

Was going to post the same KKC.

I remember reading their forums, and initially they thought he was going to set the division alight, winning a penalty against Derby with Ronaldo like skill. He then started a game against Norwich, offered absolutely nothing, and barely played after that.

He has talent, that he's showed in glimpses (think it was against Liverpool at home that he first showed his potential), but he doesn't apply himself in the right manner, and just doesn't impose himself on games or look like he's good enough at this level. He needs game time, and that means he probably needs to go out on loan next season to a first division team. It's going to be a make or break season for him.