WBAUnofficial
Any comment anyone? - Printable Version

+- WBAUnofficial (https://wbaunofficial.org.uk)
+-- Forum: WBAUnofficial (https://wbaunofficial.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Politics (https://wbaunofficial.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Any comment anyone? (/showthread.php?tid=32524)

Pages: 1 2

Any comment anyone? - baggy1 - 01-29-2024

https://iea.org.uk/why-brexit-was-a-mistake-from-a-libertarian-perspective/

RE: Any comment anyone? - Borin' Baggie - 01-29-2024

It's almost like Brexit had fuck all to do with liberal trade which is why the vast majority of liberals and liberal institutes backed remaining, and putting your trust into mercantile populists who to their core dislike the concept of free trade to deliver a "liberal Brexit" was never going to happen with the inherent contradictions of it with everything else. Those mercantile populists want a centralised state more than the EU does, they were never going to give it up. It was never about the individual, it was always about making a bigger and more centralised state.

The IEA can piss off, they could have pivoted to a pro-Single Market position but didn't.

I'm shocked a libertarian opposes Horizon though given a lot of private institutions use it for funding either independently or working in conjunction with public institutions in-turn leveraging the results of research for profit. I'm guessing they're also the sort of libertarian that opposes anti-trust legislation because the state shouldn't have the power to block monopolies.

RE: Any comment anyone? - Ossian - 01-29-2024

(01-29-2024, 09:41 PM)baggy1 Wrote: https://iea.org.uk/why-brexit-was-a-mistake-from-a-libertarian-perspective/

Yes, loads B1; comments that is, but none of them new.

There does seem to be a growing delusion - a conviction even in certain quarters - that we can just pick our moment and 'go back in', without any apparent understanding of how that process might actually work. Even the idea that the twenty seven, in dealing with the one, might just hold most of the cards seems to escape plenty who should know better.

RE: Any comment anyone? - Protheroe - 01-29-2024

It's an opinion piece from a guy who doesn't appear to have either lived or worked in Britain.

RE: Any comment anyone? - Derek Hardballs - 01-30-2024

I’m just waiting for the cheaper high quality food, and tariff free goods we can all enjoy in this brave new Brexity world. Im sure this will also mean higher environmental standards, and safe guarded human rights.

I mean if you can’t trust Libertarian who can you trust?

RE: Any comment anyone? - Protheroe - 01-30-2024

(01-30-2024, 11:43 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: I’m just waiting for the cheaper high quality food, and tariff free goods we can all enjoy in this brave new Brexity world. Im sure this will also mean higher environmental standards, and safe guarded human rights.

Which of these things don't you have now?

And which, specifically, have got worse since we left the EU?

You do post some daft things sometimes.

(01-30-2024, 12:53 PM)Protheroe Wrote:
(01-30-2024, 11:43 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: I’m just waiting for the cheaper high quality food, and tariff free goods we can all enjoy in this brave new Brexity world. Im sure this will also mean higher environmental standards, and safe guarded human rights.

Which of these things don't you have now?

And which, specifically, have got worse since we left the EU?

You do post some daft things sometimes.

Well food isn’t cheaper 
We pay more for good from the EU
Environmental laws are being eroded / weakened 
Half your party wants us to leave the ECHR 
We have lost freedom of movement 

But apart from that it’s all the same…

RE: Any comment anyone? - Protheroe - 01-30-2024

So nothing specific on the points you initially raised then? SOD - Same Old Derek, finding stuff to moan about even when there's no stuff to moan about.

Interestingly food inflation tracks below the EU for most of the timeline in this chart (i.e - since Brexit) and slightly above in the last few months. Also worthy of note is that food in the UK has been historically cheaper than most developed countries in the EU for a long time - due to our supermarkets excellent supply chain management. It wouldn't appear that Brexit has had any impact whatsoever.

[Image: GEDAS3AWEAA1lQC.png]

(01-30-2024, 03:05 PM)Protheroe Wrote: So nothing specific on the points you initially raised then? SOD - Same Old Derek, finding stuff to moan about even when there's no stuff to moan about.

Interestingly food inflation tracks below the EU for most of the timeline in this chart (i.e - since Brexit) and slightly above in the last few months. Also worthy of note is that food in the UK has been historically cheaper than most developed countries in the EU for a long time - due to our supermarkets excellent supply chain management. It wouldn't appear that Brexit has had any impact whatsoever.

So for the last year our food prices are going up and the new rules coming in will push up prices further. I’m glad we sorted that out. Jeeze that’s the best you’ve got? You used to be so good with graphs as well.

Even if it were true and it’s not that leaving the EU has had no negative effects on the UK the argument the lying Libertarian’s you supported put forward said things would be better, cheaper and fairer and that is palpably not true. Brexiteers have cost us billions and yet you try and make out you are fiscally responsible. You campaigned on a lie and continue to pretend otherwise.

RE: Any comment anyone? - Borin' Baggie - 01-30-2024

(01-30-2024, 03:05 PM)Protheroe Wrote: So nothing specific on the points you initially raised then? SOD - Same Old Derek, finding stuff to moan about even when there's no stuff to moan about.

So the trend is that pre-January 2021 when left the single market and customs union we were tracking below the EU and Euro Area and post leaving the single market and customs union we started tracking with them and are now tracking above them?

And that's while also doing no checks on imports from the EU.