WBAUnofficial
The game. - Printable Version

+- WBAUnofficial (https://wbaunofficial.org.uk)
+-- Forum: WBAUnofficial (https://wbaunofficial.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: WBAUnofficial (https://wbaunofficial.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: The game. (/showthread.php?tid=32522)

Pages: 1 2

The game. - Tom Joad - 01-29-2024

As no one has given any ratings. Here goes;

Griffiths 7 Steady, much improved distribution and a really good save at the end.
Furlong 7 Up against a tricky opponent but still managed to contribute to the attack.
Townsend 6  Good energy and as above, Netto is a handful. 
Bartley 6. Caught out of position at least 3 times but gave all.
Kipre 7.5 Solid as ever.
Yokuslu 8 Looked more of a Premier League player than any of theirs.
Chalobah 6 Some good, some bad.
Mowatt. 7  Steady Eddie. Wished he had taken a shot late on when he took an extra touch and passed.
Wallace 7 A constant threat.
BTA 7.5 Great running, really gave Dawson a headache but loses a point as he really should have made more of those chances.
Swift 7. Often infuriating but nonetheless managed 3 or 4 shots and almost put a sublime pass through 1st half.
Subs. All looked good but Fellows was exceptional. I can't think of another player that puts so many chances on a plate in so little time.
Carlos. 8. For making us compete well against a multi million pound outfit.
Ref. 7.5. Let it flow and didn't get overly fussy. Got most things right. Should have booked Dawson after giving him that early lecture then allowing him to make numerous further fouls. 

For all the "it was comfortable for wolves" talk, better finishing decided this game. If Wallace and BTA put away those chances, if the ball had gone for us in that scramble or we had a little luck with those balls across goal, it would have been very embarrassing for the dings. As it was, a mistake from a corner,  then a ball that caught Barts out enabled their better finishers. I really thought wolves were a bit crap TBH. Their keeper was excellent with his positioning,  the left CB with the dyed head looked decent and as said, they put away better than us. Otherwise they were a dour long ball outfit. I really thought they would be better.

RE: The game. - Lurker#3 - 01-29-2024

Griffith's - 6 - Poor for their second, slow to make decisions. Plenty of improving to do.

Furlong - 8 - Played really well both offensively and defensively.
Bartley - 7 - Struggled with their pace on the break, extra mark for that professional foul.
Kipre - 7 - Solid and passed the ball well through the lines.
Townsend - 7 - Solid and did well to keep a lid on Metro. No blame for their first as he showed him into traffic, but Swifty's tackling was as ferocious as ever.

Wallace - 7 - Never stopped and got into some really promising areas. Some poor finishing and final balls though.
Okay - 8 - Looks better when we play the better teams. One of only a few in our squad capable of regular premier league football.
Mowatt - 8 - With a bit more cutting edge to his passing he could have been MoTM. Constantly involved but didn't achieve too much.
Chalobah - 6 - Did okay, but gave the ball away a few times and didn't really impact the game at either end.
Swift - 7 - Was always likely to be the one that created something. Some nice touches and got into really dangerous areas. Should have threatened the goal more.

BTA - 7 - Put a reet shift in. But just never seems to back himself to score strikers goals. Hard to score him higher than a 7 with those missed chances.

With Grady & Dike I would have backed us.

RE: The game. - Mullers - 01-29-2024

(01-29-2024, 08:16 PM)Tom Joad Wrote: As no one has given any ratings. Here goes;

Griffiths 7 Steady, much improved distribution and a really good save at the end.
Furlong 7 Up against a tricky opponent but still managed to contribute to the attack.
Townsend 6  Good energy and as above, Netto is a handful. 
Bartley 6. Caught out of position at least 3 times but gave all.
Kipre 7.5 Solid as ever.
Yokuslu 8 Looked more of a Premier League player than any of theirs.
Chalobah 6 Some good, some bad.
Mowatt. 7  Steady Eddie. Wished he had taken a shot late on when he took an extra touch and passed.
Wallace 7 A constant threat.
BTA 7.5 Great running, really gave Dawson a headache but loses a point as he really should have made more of those chances.
Swift 7. Often infuriating but nonetheless managed 3 or 4 shots and almost put a sublime pass through 1st half.
Subs. All looked good but Fellows was exceptional. I can't think of another player that puts so many chances on a plate in so little time.
Carlos. 8. For making us compete well against a multi million pound outfit.
Ref. 7.5. Let it flow and didn't get overly fussy. Got most things right. Should have booked Dawson after giving him that early lecture then allowing him to make numerous further fouls. 

For all the "it was comfortable for wolves" talk, better finishing decided this game. If Wallace and BTA put away those chances, if the ball had gone for us in that scramble or we had a little luck with those balls across goal, it would have been very embarrassing for the dings. As it was, a mistake from a corner,  then a ball that caught Barts out enabled their better finishers. I really thought wolves were a bit crap TBH. Their keeper was excellent with his positioning,  the left CB with the dyed head looked decent and as said, they put away better than us. Otherwise they were a dour long ball outfit. I really thought they would be better.

Tend to agree with most of this, including the comments on the referee who I thought had a good game, especially considering the occasion and what went on off the pitch.

For me, Mowatt and Griffiths have to be marked down for their completely avoidable failings for the first and second goals respectively. 

Wolves’ quality upfront (compared to ours) showed. They had two big chances which they finished. We had two: Wallace’s free header which went straight at Sa and BTA’s chance which he opted to kick rather than head.

In any case, the whole team can hold their heads high. I’m gutted it didn’t go our way this time, but every Albion player gave it their all and there was very little between the two sides on the day.

RE: The game. - rsbaggy2 - 01-29-2024

Mowatt less a mark for that crap corner that led to their first.

RE: The game. - Mr vertical - 01-29-2024

Very much agree with the posts above. I really expected the Dings to be much better and give us a right mauling. They were no better than Leicester the other week. Carlos did a top job of setting us up.. with Grady, a fit Darrell and even Palmer we'd have been more competitive.

RE: The game. - baggiebloke - 01-30-2024

Yep. Good ratings.

We were held back with the lack of options upfront.

A fit Phillips, a fit Dike and/or Maja, and Grady as options and I think it could have been different.

But fair play to BTA, he gives his all.

RE: The game. - Jamin03 why change it? - 01-30-2024

thought we more than matched them except in the goalscoring dept.  

Bta kicking their defenders legs, missing a free header and a free shot from 18 yards on the pull back, Wallace's free header and swift's chance towards the end.  5 really good chances and a few decent half chances too.

i really like BTA but we need a no.9 up top with him, somehow.  250k ffs, great bloke.

if we keep playing like that and maybe get Dike fit we really should be in with a chance of promotion, albeit via the lottery of the play offs.

C'mon you Baggies!!!!!!

RE: The game. - Hudds1 - 01-30-2024

Griffiths had nothing to do except pick the ball out of the net twice.  Oh I forgot a save after the re-start.  I don't think he dropped clangers for those goals and he should never have been in that position to have a finger pointed.  Their keeper should have been picking the ball out of the net twice an' all.  That was the difference - he was worked harder but not beaten.

RE: The game. - Ted Maul - 01-30-2024

They did everything they had to in order to win the game. They'll play better against better teams and lose. Reminded me a lot of how we dispatched them time after time before they had all the money pumped in. They've got real quality in every position and to go along with the big money signings have made some shrewd additions, I thought Kilman was excellent and Tommy Doyle for a young lad looks like he'll continue to grow into a top player - at £5m in the summer he's a bargain. The likes of Neto and Cunha may have cost £100m between them and it showed, if they can find themselves a proper #9 to play through the middle they've got a reasonable chance of troubling the Euro Conference qualifiers or having a decent cup run.

I said throughout the build up to the game that so long as we gave it a good go then I'd not be too downbeat if we were to lose. Oddly, I think this was born out in the general mood in town after the game. Speaking to a few of my mates who were back in the Sportsman and then later on in the evening it seemed relatively jovial. It certainly wasn't the humiliation the Wolves were hoping for.

RE: The game. - Midget In A Pinstripe Suit - 01-30-2024

(01-30-2024, 10:32 AM)Ted Maul Wrote: They did everything they had to in order to win the game. They'll play better against better teams and lose. Reminded me a lot of how we dispatched them time after time before they had all the money pumped in. They've got real quality in every position and to go along with the big money signings have made some shrewd additions, I thought Kilman was excellent and Tommy Doyle for a young lad looks like he'll continue to grow into a top player - at £5m in the summer he's a bargain. The likes of Neto and Cunha may have cost £100m between them and it showed, if they can find themselves a proper #9 to play through the middle they've got a reasonable chance of troubling the Euro Conference qualifiers or having a decent cup run.

I said throughout the build up to the game that so long as we gave it a good go then I'd not be too downbeat if we were to lose. Oddly, I think this was born out in the general mood in town after the game. Speaking to a few of my mates who were back in the Sportsman and then later on in the evening it seemed relatively jovial. It certainly wasn't the humiliation the Wolves were hoping for.

Agree. I think Brighton will do them next round though.