WBAUnofficial
"We've been too open" and the stats... - Printable Version

+- WBAUnofficial (https://wbaunofficial.org.uk)
+-- Forum: WBAUnofficial (https://wbaunofficial.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: WBAUnofficial (https://wbaunofficial.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: "We've been too open" and the stats... (/showthread.php?tid=26729)

Pages: 1 2

"We've been too open" and the stats... - Lurker#3 - 09-21-2022

Attacking:

xG: 2.04 (1st)

Goals scored/match: 1.5 (6th)
*Away: 1.2 (9th)
*Home: 1.8 (=5th)

Failed to Score: 1 (=2nd)

Defending:

Goal conceded: 1.4 (=18th) (=Away/Home)

Clean Sheets: 1 (23rd)

Result at HT: 

W: 20% (=18th)
D: 40% (=12th)
L: 40% (=15th)

The stats clearly show we need to be tougher to beat and work our way into games better. So I understand what Bruce is saying. But our goals scored is still only 6th in the league, and that whilst we've apparently been "too open". I think there is more than one way to be "hard to beat" and defensively secure, but just putting more solid pros into a deeper, less ambitious line up rarely works unless you are trying to clog your way to survival in a league. 

I thought many of our defensive problems came from the massive gaps between the lines and our lack of pressure on the ball meaning the opposition always had too much space and time, and huge areas to exploit. This can be rectified by squeezing the game between your forward line and back line regardless of how deep or high you press, without the need to play more "defensive" players.  Which points at a lack of tactical coaching.

I have consistently harped on about the numbers of players we commit on the turnover and to attacks, and I now fear that will get even worse and the pendulum will just swing and we will be even less of a threat offensively. 

I really hope Bruce gets the balance right, but I just have so little faith in his ability to resolve our issues in a progressive, sustainable way. Here's hoping.

RE: "We've been too open" and the stats... - Ted Maul - 09-21-2022

Proves what I've been saying this season, despite missing Dike we're scoring enough goals to win matches. We cannot defend for shit. With even the tiniest amount of coaching and basic organisation we can fly up this league. Do you trust Bruce to do it? I don't.

RE: "We've been too open" and the stats... - Sliced - 09-21-2022

As I said before; of course we have higher XG stats if we're chasing the game. Lets look at the times at which we've gone behind:

Boro - 10th minute
Watford - 12th minute
Huddersfield - 11th minute
Wigan - 6th minute
Birmingham - 14th minute

That's 5 games where we've been down with about 80 minutes to go on average. Burnley and Blackburn were slightly later goals but still in the first half.

RE: "We've been too open" and the stats... - MrFizz - 09-21-2022

(09-21-2022, 09:25 AM)Sliced Wrote: As I said before; of course we have higher XG stats if we're chasing the game. Lets look at the times at which we've gone behind:

Boro - 10th minute
Watford - 12th minute
Wigan - 6th minute
Birmingham - 14th minute

That's 5 games where we've been down with about 80 minutes to go on average. Burnley and Blackburn were slightly later goals but still in the first half.

I think we should play the first 15mins with 8 defenders, then make a few subs meself.

RE: "We've been too open" and the stats... - Lurker#3 - 09-21-2022

(09-21-2022, 09:25 AM)Sliced Wrote: As I said before; of course we have higher XG stats if we're chasing the game. Lets look at the times at which we've gone behind:

Boro - 10th minute
Watford - 12th minute
Wigan - 6th minute
Birmingham - 14th minute

Not sure this is the case Sliced. You may have more shots and crosses. But if your chasing a game and desperate and teh opposition are defending deep your quality of chance tends to reduce. 

I think think the issue is we do not have enough players attacking the box to allow more simple finishes. instead it is normally a player tired after having to run 40 yards to get to the goal scoring opportunity.

RE: "We've been too open" and the stats... - Sliced - 09-21-2022

(09-21-2022, 09:53 AM)Lurker#3 Wrote:

Boro - 10th minute
Watford - 12th minute
Wigan - 6th minute
Birmingham - 14th minute

Not sure this is the case Sliced. You may have more shots and crosses. But if your chasing a game and desperate and teh opposition are defending deep your quality of chance tends to reduce. 

I think think the issue is we do not have enough players attacking the box to allow more simple finishes. instead it is normally a player tired after having to run 40 yards to get to the goal scoring opportunity.

It's probably a bit of both, we have also the highest number of shots in the league which plays into XG; 5 of the top 6 with the highest number of shots also are in the top 6 with the highest XG. Chasing a game will definitely have an impact on the amount of attacking we do, and therefore the number of shots, and therefore XG.

But I agree it's not exclusively this.

RE: "We've been too open" and the stats... - KRO - 09-21-2022

Merge with the Anal Beads thread

RE: "We've been too open" and the stats... - Bob Fossil - 09-21-2022

If being "too open" meant we were starting games in a massively offensive manner and getting caught on the break, that would be understandable, and also relatively easy to fix. We aren't though, we are starting in disarray. Sluggish, poor on the ball and with no discernible shape, which is proving almost impossible to fix, it seems, and that leads straight back to the training ground and backs up the theory that Bruce is a poor coach.

There are no grounds for keeping him, other than the financial penalty of having to pay him off, which leads straight to fat Ron's door. For both those reasons, I reckon we are stuck with him unless the run continues as is for a long period, or, inconceivably, gets worse. Provided he keeps getting the odd result, Gourlay will see it as good enough to save both their skins.

RE: "We've been too open" and the stats... - SausEggBaton - 09-21-2022

(09-21-2022, 11:08 AM)KRO Wrote: Merge with the Anal Beads thread

I'd happily shove anal beads up our players arses if I thought it would make them play any better, however, one, I don't know whether we'd be breaking any rules - but given some of the players plod around looking as though they have a foreign body inserted into their rectum, and two, not that it would make much difference because Bruce won't train them on how to insert said anal beads anyway.

RE: "We've been too open" and the stats... - Bob Fossil - 09-21-2022

(09-21-2022, 11:22 AM)SausEggBaton Wrote:
(09-21-2022, 11:08 AM)KRO Wrote: Merge with the Anal Beads thread

I'd happily shove anal beads up our players arses if I thought it would make them play any better, however, one, I don't know whether we'd be breaking any rules - but given some of the players plod around looking as though they have a foreign body inserted into their rectum, and two, not that it would make much difference because Bruce won't train them on how to insert said anal beads anyway.
The only way the anal beads could work is if it was used as some sort of intricate, covert signalling system regarding tactics. As we don't have any, tactics that is, I'm sure there are anal beads knocking about, it is pretty much a non starter.