WBAUnofficial
Keep Thinking We'll Click Into Place - Printable Version

+- WBAUnofficial (https://wbaunofficial.org.uk)
+-- Forum: WBAUnofficial (https://wbaunofficial.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: WBAUnofficial (https://wbaunofficial.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: Keep Thinking We'll Click Into Place (/showthread.php?tid=2493)

Keep Thinking We'll Click Into Place - EastMidsBaggie - 03-02-2019

We thought that we were on a learning curve at the start of the season as we were so poor away from home with the three at the back just dire and making ordinary opposition look like Man City at times. The home form was good after the opening Bolton no show.
To be fair BD changed the away tactics and we have looked pretty solid after the Wigan debacle in October and the results have been exceptional (though rarely exciting).
But during the 'switch' period something has happened drastically to our home form; the home form that has cost us any chance of automatic. Since the thrashing by Derby, we have managed just TWO WINS in TEN games (drawing six; losing two) and dropping an amazing 18 points. Even then we were very fortunate with the controversial late savers against Vile and Forest after poor performances.  
Most of our exciting fixtures are now over and we have a pretty mundane run in for the remaining 11 matches where we only have the play offs to aim for. Fortunately, we do a bit of a gap but many have games in hand. 
Could still be an incredibly memorable season if got to Wembley and won it there but you just know we would most likely fall in the semi's to the late surging 'form' team of the moment - it's the Albion way.
Still think this squad is incredibly under achieving; certainly should be much better than winning just 17 games out of the first 35 and conceding 47 goals.
We need to stick with BD and see how the season pans out but can't help having that nagging thought about what another manager/coach could achieve with our players ?
I maintain that, with the risk adverse dour way the Club is run with as little investment as possible, this season is our REAL chance of getting back up; imagine the Jenkins cost cutting if we fail !!!

RE: Keep Thinking We'll Click Into Place - albion_pigeon - 03-02-2019

I'm sure an experienced coach could get more out of this squad but that's the problem, we have an inexperienced one who's learning as he goes. Personally, I hope we stick with BD even if we don't go up, he deserves the time to rectify his tactical mistakes.

I do worry about GJ's influence though. He seems pretty inflexible in his approach.

RE: Keep Thinking We'll Click Into Place - EastMidsBaggie - 03-02-2019

(03-02-2019, 10:29 AM)albion_pigeon Wrote: I'm sure an experienced coach could get more out of this squad but that's the problem, we have an inexperienced one who's learning as he goes. Personally, I hope we stick with BD even if we don't go up, he deserves the time to rectify his tactical mistakes.

I do worry about GJ's influence though. He seems pretty inflexible in his approach.

But the GJ situation is even more concerning if that's the case as BD should be the boss and dictate his ideas.

RE: Keep Thinking We'll Click Into Place - Squid - 03-02-2019

(03-02-2019, 10:26 AM)EastMidsBaggie Wrote: We thought that we were on a learning curve at the start of the season as we were so poor away from home with the three at the back just dire and making ordinary opposition look like Man City at times. The home form was good after the opening Bolton no show.
To be fair BD changed the away tactics and we have looked pretty solid after the Wigan debacle in October and the results have been exceptional (though rarely exciting).
But during the 'switch' period something has happened drastically to our home form; the home form that has cost us any chance of automatic. Since the thrashing by Derby, we have managed just TWO WINS in TEN games (drawing six; losing two) and dropping an amazing 18 points. Even then we were very fortunate with the controversial late savers against Vile and Forest after poor performances.  
Most of our exciting fixtures are now over and we have a pretty mundane run in for the remaining 11 matches where we only have the play offs to aim for. Fortunately, we do a bit of a gap but many have games in hand. 
Could still be an incredibly memorable season if got to Wembley and won it there but you just know we would most likely fall in the semi's to the late surging 'form' team of the moment - it's the Albion way.
Still think this squad is incredibly under achieving; certainly should be much better than winning just 17 games out of the first 35 and conceding 47 goals.
We need to stick with BD and see how the season pans out but can't help having that nagging thought about what another manager/coach could achieve with our players ?
I maintain that, with the risk adverse dour way the Club is run with as little investment as possible, this season is our REAL chance of getting back up; imagine the Jenkins cost cutting if we fail !!!

Of the draws we were very unlucky not to beat Blackburn, Brentford and Norwich.

This "best chance to go up" is chafing me. If the owners genuinely want us back up there then there needs to be the impetus for more than one season.

RE: Keep Thinking We'll Click Into Place - TETLEY74 - 03-02-2019

(03-02-2019, 12:31 PM)Squid Wrote:
(03-02-2019, 10:26 AM)EastMidsBaggie Wrote: We thought that we were on a learning curve at the start of the season as we were so poor away from home with the three at the back just dire and making ordinary opposition look like Man City at times. The home form was good after the opening Bolton no show.

This "best chance to go up" is chafing me. If the owners genuinely want us back up there then there needs to be the impetus for more than one season.

If the owners really want us to go back up then they should be backing the manager with serious investment in the squad (not relying on loans) and not cutting everything to the bone which tends to suggest they are resigned to a long spell in the chump.

RE: Keep Thinking We'll Click Into Place - Remi_Moses - 03-02-2019

(03-02-2019, 07:10 PM)TETLEY74 Wrote:

If the owners really want us to go back up then they should be backing the manager with serious investment in the squad (not relying on loans) and not cutting everything to the bone which tends to suggest they are resigned to a long spell in the chump.

I feel conned by Jenkins - When he said we didn't need to sell anyone, we would get our transfer business done early - sells Chadli on the last day. Misses Dack (too late), loans money from Barclays for transfers in Jan (chadli money amiss)  and then we buy no one. Who's fooling who? - I wouldn't trust anything he says. Jenkins has a shelf life and he will fill his pockets while he can, WBA are just a means to an end for that guy.

RE: Keep Thinking We'll Click Into Place - Squid - 03-02-2019

(03-02-2019, 07:20 PM)Remi_Moses Wrote:

I feel conned by Jenkins - When he said we didn't need to sell anyone, we would get our transfer business done early - sells Chadli on the last day. Misses Dack (too late), loans money from Barclays for transfers in Jan (chadli money amiss)  and then we buy no one. Who's fooling who? - I wouldn't trust anything he says. Jenkins has a shelf life and he will fill his pockets while he can, WBA are just a means to an end for that guy.

"Misses Dack".

Things I believe but cannot prove:

1) Tony Pulis wanted the sack as soon as he lost the Palace court case.

2) We never had any intention of buying Dack.

RE: Keep Thinking We'll Click Into Place - Babel - 03-03-2019

For those feeling conned by Jenkins, ponder over the players and the Ten Milllion.

Every year, one team clicks into gear--like Fulham last(?)--and takes the league by storm. We could still do that, and could still make automatical.

Yes, this post, like our season, is blowing east and west.

RE: Keep Thinking We'll Click Into Place - albion_pigeon - 03-03-2019

(03-02-2019, 09:10 PM)Squid Wrote:
(03-02-2019, 07:20 PM)Remi_Moses Wrote:

"Misses Dack".

Things I believe but cannot prove:

1) Tony Pulis wanted the sack as soon as he lost the Palace court case.

2) We never had any intention of buying Dack.

+1