WBAUnofficial
How did you decide on your "Board names"... - Printable Version

+- WBAUnofficial (https://wbaunofficial.org.uk)
+-- Forum: WBAUnofficial (https://wbaunofficial.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: WBAUnofficial (https://wbaunofficial.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: How did you decide on your "Board names"... (/showthread.php?tid=23499)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

RE: How did you decide on your "Board names"... - Llandudno Baggie - 01-13-2022

(01-13-2022, 04:34 PM)ericlegrisly Wrote:
(01-13-2022, 04:29 PM)Llandudno Baggie Wrote:
(01-13-2022, 11:29 AM)Fulham Fallout Wrote: An album from a punk band called “The Lurkers”

I genuinely thought your user name was based on The Battle of Putney Bridge ...

I'd always assumed the same - is this a whoosh?

I checked. He ain't lying. Ironic it's by The Lurkers !

RE: How did you decide on your "Board names"... - Bromley Baggie 2 - 01-13-2022

(01-13-2022, 10:19 AM)ferencpuskas Wrote: It was November 1953, England had never been beaten at home and they faced Hungary at Wembley in front of 100,000 fans, Billy Wright I think, captained England, and also the Wolves at that time, Ferenc Puscas the Army Officer, captained Hungary, the "Magyars"  I remember this incident distinctly. Puscas playing inside left, and wearing number 10, me dad's old number, was running with the ball towards the goal, Wright, playing centre-half ran across to tackle him, Puscas dropped his shoulder, feinted to go right, Wright slid in, Puscas rolled the ball back under his foot, went left, Wright went sliding past on his arse, and Puscas drilled it home!     Hungary won the game 6-3 !                          In 1956 there was a Revolution in Hungary, and many of their players left the Country, Puscas and others,went to Spain and played I believe for Real Madrid, me as a 15 year old kid, hoped and prayed he would come to the Baggies, sadly he never did. We wouldn't pay the £150 transfer fee probably Wink   After that I was always Ferenc !  Saft really, but there you are!

I think it was The Daily Mirror described that as Wright being like "a fire engine going to the wrong fire".

I'm a Baggie and I live in Bromley. When I registered for the latest incarnation of the board, for some reason it wouldn't accept my old name, so I had to stick a "2" on the end.

RE: How did you decide on your "Board names"... - Tom Joad - 01-13-2022

ferencpuskas Wrote:I think I know where Tom Joad got his from, Thank John Steinbeck ??  Cool

Hole in one, Ferenc! I used to be Swordfish after the Tom Waits album Swordfishtrombones, but after the board crashed it wouldn't let me back in with that. At that instant I was listening to Springsteen singing The Ghost of Tom Joad. 
  Love the Magyars story. Me dad used to go on about that  Hungary game, and the Red Army under floodlights era. A great time for West Midlands football.
 So much revelation here! I can't believe these names went straight over my head; Bob Fossil, I've watched Boosh a million times and it never dawned on me. Duffers, I know Duff beer but can't think of a Simpsons character. FF, convinced it was due to the Putney Bridge incident (and I saw the Lurkers). Geralous, can't believe I didn't spot that. I was also convinced Elbow Grease was a mechanic/Fitter type. TR675, I missed that one too. Next time I need a name I must be more imaginative.

RE: How did you decide on your "Board names"... - Swagbaggie - 01-13-2022

(01-13-2022, 10:20 AM)Midget In A Pinstripe Suit Wrote: I'd tell you but it's not suitable for the junior baggies.

My daughter knows nothing about this bored but when I tell her about some of the posts and discussions she always says is MIPS still on there!
This stems from a post about 12 or so years ago when we were on holiday in Weymouth (I think). You were there also - camping I think? - and you suggested that anyone wanting to meet up should  shout 'C'mon you Stripey demons' into the camp sites.

I told her this and she spent the entire holiday shouting this at every opportunity. 

She has never forgotten it! Big Grin Big Grin

RE: How did you decide on your "Board names"... - Pfister - 01-13-2022

After the legendary manager Otto Pfister. Nothing to do with fisting…

RE: How did you decide on your "Board names"... - Midget In A Pinstripe Suit - 01-13-2022

(01-13-2022, 06:54 PM)Swagbaggie Wrote:
(01-13-2022, 10:20 AM)Midget In A Pinstripe Suit Wrote: I'd tell you but it's not suitable for the junior baggies.

My daughter knows nothing about this bored but when I tell her about some of the posts and discussions she always says is MIPS still on there!
This stems from a post about 12 or so years ago when we were on holiday in Weymouth (I think). You were there also - camping I think? - and you suggested that anyone wanting to meet up should  shout 'C'mon you Stripey demons' into the camp sites.

I told her this and she spent the entire holiday shouting this at every opportunity. 

She has never forgotten it! Big Grin Big Grin

Arf! I remember that, never heard anybody shouting it though!

RE: How did you decide on your "Board names"... - DemonicBaggie - 01-13-2022

(01-13-2022, 06:39 PM)Tom Joad Wrote: I used to be Swordfish after the Tom Waits album Swordfishtrombones

Bought that album on its release and have been listening to it this week.

RE: How did you decide on your "Board names"... - Swagbaggie - 01-13-2022

A bit like Banbury - a lack of imagination really.
I had numerous other names initially and had a rule of changing my name when I got to 999 posts.
I was Dubyabeeay for longest because we changed boards frequently at one time and I didn't reach that number.
Doubleyoubeay was also used by somebody - I think it was FF? I was on holiday in Crete at the time and I was with a bunch of people, the young ones of which were using the 'latest' words.
They called me the 'SwaggieBaggie' and I thought there ya go!
I changed it slightly but have stuck with it since.

RE: How did you decide on your "Board names"... - baggiebloke - 01-13-2022

I've got stretched sagging skin from when I hit 26 stone and am a Baggie (BUT LOWERCASE)

Hence...

RE: How did you decide on your "Board names"... - Mickyfudge - 01-13-2022

I saw micky fudge get his hat trick against Everton a long long time ago,didn’t realise he was still associated with the club until recently