WBAUnofficial
How did you decide on your "Board names"... - Printable Version

+- WBAUnofficial (https://wbaunofficial.org.uk)
+-- Forum: WBAUnofficial (https://wbaunofficial.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: WBAUnofficial (https://wbaunofficial.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: How did you decide on your "Board names"... (/showthread.php?tid=23499)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

How did you decide on your "Board names"... - ferencpuskas - 01-13-2022

It was November 1953, England had never been beaten at home and they faced Hungary at Wembley in front of 100,000 fans, Billy Wright I think, captained England, and also the Wolves at that time, Ferenc Puscas the Army Officer, captained Hungary, the "Magyars"  I remember this incident distinctly. Puscas playing inside left, and wearing number 10, me dad's old number, was running with the ball towards the goal, Wright, playing centre-half ran across to tackle him, Puscas dropped his shoulder, feinted to go right, Wright slid in, Puscas rolled the ball back under his foot, went left, Wright went sliding past on his arse, and Puscas drilled it home!     Hungary won the game 6-3 !                          In 1956 there was a Revolution in Hungary, and many of their players left the Country, Puscas and others,went to Spain and played I believe for Real Madrid, me as a 15 year old kid, hoped and prayed he would come to the Baggies, sadly he never did. We wouldn't pay the £150 transfer fee probably Wink   After that I was always Ferenc !  Saft really, but there you are!

RE: How did you decide on your "Board names"... - baggy1 - 01-13-2022

I was the first ever baggy

RE: How did you decide on your "Board names"... - Midget In A Pinstripe Suit - 01-13-2022

I'd tell you but it's not suitable for the junior baggies.

RE: How did you decide on your "Board names"... - Sliced - 01-13-2022

Initially it was a tribute to the massively underrated Marc Antoine Fortune, as my sn was ASliceOfGoodFortune. When the bored went down and everyone had to sign up again that got abbreviated to Sliced.

RE: How did you decide on your "Board names"... - Duffers - 01-13-2022

(01-13-2022, 10:20 AM)Midget In A Pinstripe Suit Wrote: I'd tell you but it's not suitable for the junior baggies.

Actually… shouldn’t you have been cancelled by now?

RE: How did you decide on your "Board names"... - Birdman1811 - 01-13-2022

Birdman is my nickname to pretty much everyone.

1811 is my birthday and what I usually have to add to the end of any username to have it accepted.

RE: How did you decide on your "Board names"... - MrFizz - 01-13-2022

Because i'm effervescent.

RE: How did you decide on your "Board names"... - Babel - 01-13-2022

(01-13-2022, 10:19 AM)ferencpuskas Wrote: It was November 1953, England had never been beaten at home and they faced Hungary at Wembley in front of 100,000 fans, Billy Wright I think, captained England, and also the Wolves at that time, Ferenc Puscas the Army Officer, captained Hungary, the "Magyars"  I remember this incident distinctly. Puscas playing inside left, and wearing number 10, me dad's old number, was running with the ball towards the goal, Wright, playing centre-half ran across to tackle him, Puscas dropped his shoulder, feinted to go right, Wright slid in, Puscas rolled the ball back under his foot, went left, Wright went sliding past on his arse, and Puscas drilled it home!     Hungary won the game 6-3 !                          In 1956 there was a Revolution in Hungary, and many of their players left the Country, Puscas and others,went to Spain and played I believe for Real Madrid, me as a 15 year old kid, hoped and prayed he would come to the Baggies, sadly he never did. We wouldn't pay the £150 transfer fee probably Wink   After that I was always Ferenc !  Saft really, but there you are!

Great Genesis, Ferenc!

RE: How did you decide on your "Board names"... - Peachy - 01-13-2022

Before the board had its meltdown years ago and disappeared for months I was always Peachofacross. On logging back in it wouldn't except that username so I shortened it to Peachy and I've been that ever since.

I took the name Peachofacross from the commentary of the Everton home cup game in 89 when Dingle Don dazzled his way past the Everton fullback and crossed for Colin Anderson to blast in from 6 yards.

The commentator, Barry Davies IIRC, said "Thats a peach of a cross from Goodman, and thats a lovely goal"

There endeth the story.....

RE: How did you decide on your "Board names"... - ferencpuskas - 01-13-2022

I think I know where Tom Joad got his from, Thank John Steinbeck ??  Cool