WBAUnofficial
FAO: Running Biffs - Printable Version

+- WBAUnofficial (https://wbaunofficial.org.uk)
+-- Forum: WBAUnofficial (https://wbaunofficial.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: WBAUnofficial (https://wbaunofficial.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: FAO: Running Biffs (/showthread.php?tid=16199)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

FAO: Running Biffs - UCEbaggie - 03-19-2021

Anyone been using lockdown to up their mileage? Anyone training for anything? Any spectacular achievements PBs etc?

RE: FAO: Running Biffs - Duffers - 03-19-2021

I had two half marathons booked for the first few months of this year - Brighton and London but both have been cancelled so nothing in the diary right now. Have plateaued at around 5-6 miles which I try to do three times a week. Gonna start thinking about upping my mileage soon though, when I worked in central London I used to love doing the 10 mile run from Westminster all the way along the river back to Greenwich, would try and do it a couple of times a week. Feel like I want another crack at the London Marathon and try and go under four and half hours this time so going to go in to the ballot for next year.

If anything I’ve found maintaining an even basic level of fitness tough over the last year. I’ve lost about 10k steps a day just by not going into work and being on my feet.

RE: FAO: Running Biffs - UCEbaggie - 03-19-2021

I've been doing an average of 35k a week since the beginning of this year. Managed to get the 5k PB down to 20:34, 10k to 43:57 & half to 1:39:30. I'm ridiculously tall so really feel I should be quicker than that with my stride length. Strava has been a godsend so been doing some challenges with friends which has been decent motivation, but in non-lockdown times (and despite being a bit shit) I play 6 a side 3 or 4 times a week so as soon as we can play again will drop down the mileage. Will have an assault on a sub 20m 5k before then though and maybe do some park runs when they are back on

RE: FAO: Running Biffs - Midget In A Pinstripe Suit - 03-19-2021

After the twins were born I pretty much stopped playing football, and apart from long walks with the buggy I've done nothing for nearly 2 years so recently started couch to 5k, can do 2.5 miles pretty comfortably now but am only 2/3s of the way through it. I'd like to be able to do 5/10k but would prefer to be playing football when the rules allow. There's a local over 35's league I just qualify for so will hopefully be joining that, will keep up a bit of running though I reckon.

(03-19-2021, 09:38 AM)Midget In A Pinstripe Suit Wrote: After the twins were born I pretty much stopped playing football, and apart from long walks with the buggy I've done nothing for nearly 2 years so recently started couch to 5k, can do 2.5 miles pretty comfortably now but am only 2/3s of the way through it. I'd like to be able to do 5/10k but would prefer to be playing football when the rules allow. There's a local over 35's league I just qualify for so will hopefully be joining that, will keep up a bit of running though I reckon.

I play vets on a Sunday night in usual times. It’s 9 a side. Play a lot of teams from Bedford and Luton who are usually decent so we end up getting smashed! One of the sides has some lad who played for Stevenage in the football league so. He just runs the show and makes everyone look like the fat old men we are!

RE: FAO: Running Biffs - Midget In A Pinstripe Suit - 03-19-2021

(03-19-2021, 09:51 AM)UCEbaggie Wrote:
(03-19-2021, 09:38 AM)Midget In A Pinstripe Suit Wrote: After the twins were born I pretty much stopped playing football, and apart from long walks with the buggy I've done nothing for nearly 2 years so recently started couch to 5k, can do 2.5 miles pretty comfortably now but am only 2/3s of the way through it. I'd like to be able to do 5/10k but would prefer to be playing football when the rules allow. There's a local over 35's league I just qualify for so will hopefully be joining that, will keep up a bit of running though I reckon.

I play vets on a Sunday night in usual times. It’s 9 a side. Play a lot of teams from Bedford and Luton who are usually decent so we end up getting smashed! One of the sides has some lad who played for Stevenage in the football league so. He just runs the show and makes everyone look like the fat old men we are!

Big Grin

I played vets back in Notts for a bit, it was 50/50 over and under 40 11 a side. Played against a former Notts County player (forget his name) and as you say they just run the show, their touch and passing is just so much better even at 40. Well, until my mate took him out with a sliding tackle at 100mph!

RE: FAO: Running Biffs - ElbowGrease1973 - 03-19-2021

(03-19-2021, 09:26 AM)UCEbaggie Wrote: I've been doing an average of 35k a week since the beginning of this year. Managed to get the 5k PB down to 20:34, 10k to 43:57 & half to 1:39:30. I'm ridiculously tall so really feel I should be quicker than that with my stride length. Strava has been a godsend so been doing some challenges with friends which has been decent motivation, but in non-lockdown times (and despite being a bit shit) I play 6 a side 3 or 4 times a week so as soon as we can play again will drop down the mileage. Will have an assault on a sub 20m 5k before then though and maybe do some park runs when they are back on

Some impressive timings there! How tall are you, 7 foot or something  Smile

I'm a mere novice in comparison. I'm doing 3 x 6k runs a week. I'm managing 24 minutes for 5k, which I was pleased with, but you're knocking me out of the park! When I was younger I could do the times you're managing, but not now I'm pushing 48. I use Strava too, and like you say it really helps motivate you to do more.

RE: FAO: Running Biffs - Lightnin - 03-19-2021

I've got Manchester Half Marathon in October and London Marathon in April next year. I also did the Virtual London Marathon last October which to be honest, I quite enjoyed it.

However, I haven't done much since November. I'm kind of taking a rest and trying to strengthen my ankles as I have lost all power from them and it's taken a bit of time off my running plus I couldn't be bothered when the rain and snow came. I'll get back out there soon.

(03-19-2021, 09:59 AM)ElbowGrease1973 Wrote:
(03-19-2021, 09:26 AM)UCEbaggie Wrote: I've been doing an average of 35k a week since the beginning of this year. Managed to get the 5k PB down to 20:34, 10k to 43:57 & half to 1:39:30. I'm ridiculously tall so really feel I should be quicker than that with my stride length. Strava has been a godsend so been doing some challenges with friends which has been decent motivation, but in non-lockdown times (and despite being a bit shit) I play 6 a side 3 or 4 times a week so as soon as we can play again will drop down the mileage. Will have an assault on a sub 20m 5k before then though and maybe do some park runs when they are back on

Some impressive timings there! How tall are you, 7 foot or something  Smile

I'm a mere novice in comparison. I'm doing 3 x 6k runs a week. I'm managing 24 minutes for 5k, which I was pleased with, but you're knocking me out of the park! When I was younger I could do the times you're managing, but not now I'm pushing 48. I use Strava too, and like you say it really helps motivate you to do more.

I'm 6,5" so not a million miles away from 7 foot!  Big Grin I've been really concentrating on keeping my form, strong through the core, relaxed through the shoulders and stretching my stride out a bit more and it's really helped. Also upping distance makes a big difference. I really think without strava I'd not have been motivated to go out anywhere near as much.

RE: FAO: Running Biffs - mpad_mark - 03-19-2021

I was due to run a half, a marathon and 2 x 32 mile coast path ultras last year.

They've been moved several times already, and I'm really unsure if they will actually go ahead. I am feeling slightly uncertain about my training and ramping up the miles as the goal posts keep moving.

I've been ticking along at about 20-25 miles a week (although got a slight injury at the moment, so have focused on other exercise over the last couple of weeks - yoga, core, HIIT, cycling).

I've dropped 2 stone in the last year (down to 11st 5lbs) and it's really improved my timings as I used to struggle with achy hips.

Managed to get unofficial PBs in both 10k and half marathon in January.

Not bad for 46!