WBAUnofficial
Fitness help - Printable Version

+- WBAUnofficial (https://wbaunofficial.org.uk)
+-- Forum: WBAUnofficial (https://wbaunofficial.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: WBAUnofficial (https://wbaunofficial.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: Fitness help (/showthread.php?tid=14965)

Pages: 1 2 3

Fitness help - Solihull Throstle - 01-13-2021

I've shed over 20kg in the last couple of years, since type 2 diabetes diagnosis, which is now in remission.
I used to go to the gym but am now just walking the dog a couple of miles most days and doing about an hour on the exercise bike.
I reckon I need to do some upper body work. I've never liked lifting weights but used to use the various weight machine things at the gym.
Any ideas for something cheap, relatively low effort and easily stored in the garage to use.
I have about £40 in Amazon vouchers burning a hole.
Thanks in advance.

RE: Fitness help - Lurker#3 - 01-13-2021

Do want something fixed? If so. I would try and pick up a TRX system. It was all the rave years back when I had my personal training company.

You can do most upper body muscle groups easily, and its simple to adapt to your needs.

RE: Fitness help - GunsOfNavarone - 01-13-2021

Without knowing your height/weight/body fat composition/motivation/general determination it's hard to tell but I'd suggest a few brisk walks to start with if you haven't already done so.

If you're going low cost get a chin/pull up bar for the garage. Do plenty of burpees with jumping jacks, work through a variety of press ups, body weight squats and Bulgarian split squats.

Throw in some mountain climber stretches, mountain climbers and static holds for your thighs and core and you'll be fine. All of these exercises and more are free to access via tinternet thingy.

Oh and remember, NEVER do static stretches prior to a workout. Dynamic only, statics (if used) are better employed at the end.

Ed: As your fitness builds go for lighting weight dumbbells and kettlebells, I'd suggest somewhere in the 10K region. Use empty containers filled with water to begin with to break yourself in with weighted cardio to get a feel for it if unfamiliar.

RE: Fitness help - HugeHons - 01-13-2021

Try basic Calisthenics. It works and can get you fit.
Basically means using your body weight for exercise: Press ups,pull ups,dips,squats,crunches etc.
Take a look on YouTube to get you started. I used to use weights but it wasn’t good for my joints so I switched to calisthenics.
I do that and cycling.
For £40 you could buy a frame for pull ups and dips.

Lol just read Guns post above! Basically the same

RE: Fitness help - coxy134 - 01-13-2021

(01-13-2021, 09:49 PM)HugeHons Wrote: Try basic Calisthenics. It works and can get you fit.
Basically means using your body weight for exercise: Press ups,pull ups,dips,squats,crunches etc.
Take a look on YouTube to get you started. I used to use weights but it wasn’t good for my joints so I switched to calisthenics.
I do that and cycling.
For £40 you could buy a frame for pull ups and dips.

Lol just read Guns post above! Basically the same

Second that. Press ups can be great if done properly.

RE: Fitness help - sickParrot - 01-13-2021

For most men, you can’t beat weights, but that will cost way more than £40, more like £400. There are a lot of hiit videos on YouTube, costs fuck all, this channel is a good source https://www.youtube.com/user/FitnessBlender

The best advice is to find something that suits you, it could be jogging, biking or whatever, but form a habit.  I lost 25kg in 3 months from hiit, weights and slow carb diet.

RE: Fitness help - Borin' Baggie - 01-14-2021

Couch to 5k? You just need some running trainers and you can build up your cardio in about 9 weeks.

RE: Fitness help - ChamonixBaggie - 01-14-2021

upper body work specifically (which a few posters seem to have missed?) is difficult without weights tbh. Pressups are great but boring to do regularly and difficult to progress. Pullups are also great but most people can't do one strict pullup as a beginner. This can lead to morale issues when you have to start with eccentric for quite a while before being able to do even 1.

If you've got some willpower I'd get a couple of kettlebells between 10-15kg. Pressups, pullups (or variations thereof), kettlebell presses and rows will work your upper body all over. Dips are also a fantastic shoulder/tricep builder if you can get some sort of of pullup/dip station on the cheap as well.

If you don;t like the gym and want to work your upper body and core in a post-covid world I'd suggest taking up bouldering/climbing. The Flash Climbing Centre in Solihull is very good. This also has the benefit of being fun as well as good exercise.

RE: Fitness help - Fulham Fallout - 01-14-2021

(01-13-2021, 09:32 PM)Solihull Throstle Wrote: I've shed over 20kg in the last couple of years, since type 2 diabetes diagnosis, which is now in remission.
I used to go to the gym but am now just walking the dog a couple of miles most days and doing about an hour on the exercise bike.
I reckon I need to do some upper body work. I've never liked lifting weights but used to use the various weight machine things at the gym.
Any ideas for something cheap, relatively low effort and easily stored in the garage to use.
I have about £40 in Amazon vouchers burning a hole.
Thanks in advance.

Next time we meet we’ll both have to wear a carnation to recognise each other Big Grin

RE: Fitness help - baggy1 - 01-14-2021

Depends on two things Sol, how much space do you have in your garage and how much are you willing to spend.

I've always done weights and find that they have managed to help keep me in half decent nick, running just bores me if I go over half an hour and the seated position on a bike makes my lower back ache. At the start of lockdown last year I started getting together some equipment in my garage and found that Argos had the best prices but stock was very hit and miss. That meant I basically had to be on it each day and sometimes refreshing a few times each day to get hold of stuff.

Some good and basic equipment -
Mens health power tower, this will allow you pull up / chins, dips and some abs work - as Chammy says pull ups can be a nightmare but there is a way round that with some additional cheap equipment that allows you to do lat pull downs and pulley rows. They seem to have stopped doing this but a bit more expensive is the power rig (https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8479523). If I was starting over again I would get this because it allows additional equip to be added.
Mens Health bench (https://www.argos.co.uk/product/3156700), comes with weights and gives you many options for all over workouts
Add to that some dumbbells and barbells and you will be god to go.

As the year has gone on I've added equipment more to do with preference, I like the cast Iron weights and I've picked up a olympic bar and weights along the way.

One word of caution, be careful with weights, it really isn't about the weight you are pushing / pulling, its about the technique and protecting your body from pulls / strains. My lower back is dodgy because I was showing off in the gym nearly 30 years ago on squats.

I would be looking at aiming for grouping your training into 3 days a week for upper body (chest/tricep, back/bicep and shoulders) and a day for legs (a day that always seems difficult to fit in for some reason) and look to do 2 to 3 exercises per body part with 3 sets of 6-10 reps in that. And the most important part start with light weights and only move up when you can manage 3 sets of 10 on each exercise.

A lot of info there and if you need more specific details let me know, but there are lots of bits of info out there. And there are ways of helping with the cardio side as well if you need some info around that - Apple fitness is £30 a month (plus apple TV box plus apple watch so it's not cheap) but there are loads of training options within that that include strength training and yoga (which I have just started, get me!)