WBAUnofficial
Assessing risk of the rona as life tries to get normal - Printable Version

+- WBAUnofficial (https://wbaunofficial.org.uk)
+-- Forum: WBAUnofficial (https://wbaunofficial.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: WBAUnofficial (https://wbaunofficial.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: Assessing risk of the rona as life tries to get normal (/showthread.php?tid=11080)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Assessing risk of the rona as life tries to get normal - Spandaubaggie - 07-02-2020

Just wondering attitudes to risk in light of the new 1m plus guidance and pubs reopening, based on the past few months?
Me, although in my 50s, I am not overly concerned about the risk. I’m normal weight with no health conditions so measuring it up expect to be supping in a hostelry at some point in July. 
I base it on the current transmission rate and chances of getting it bad if I got it. Just thinking of the virus as much as a threat as a terrorist attack or crash on the road. Giving it extra significance, in my mind, when you look at the stats seems like living life in chains. 
However, one of my best mates is diabetic and terrified. I do kind of get it. We all look at risk differently.

RE: Assessing risk of the rona as life tries to get normal - Duffers - 07-02-2020

I plan to be sensible - just because the go ahead has been given to reopen doesn’t mean the virus has gone anywhere. Won’t be taking any unnecessary risks, travelling anywhere I don’t need to etc. That said, my daughter has gone back to nursery this week so the risk factor in our house has gone up exponentially anyway.

Still won’t be going the pub any time soon, not because of the virus, it just sounds shit with all these restrictions in place.

RE: Assessing risk of the rona as life tries to get normal - Fulham Fallout - 07-03-2020

I’m 95% certain I’ve had it so non too fussed about being in close proximity to other people. I won’t be rushing back to a bar because
1. They will be busy (as space allows)
2. Staff and customers are going to take a while to become accustomed to the new process and I can envisage people becoming frustrated sat waiting for their drinks to arrive.
3. I’d rather have mates round for a BBQ party

Re the virus it does make me laugh when people say “I was ill last <insert month from last year> and so I think I’ve had it”. Yeah, right.

RE: Assessing risk of the rona as life tries to get normal - Dumbo - 07-03-2020

(07-03-2020, 04:27 AM)Fulham Fallout Wrote: I’m 95% certain I’ve had it so non too fussed about being in close proximity to other people.  I won’t be rushing back to a bar because
2. Staff and customers are going to take a while to become accustomed to the new process and I can envisage people becoming frustrated sat waiting for their drinks to arrive.

Re the virus it does make me laugh when people say “I was ill last <insert month from last year> and so I think I’ve had it”.  Yeah, right.

Okay.

RE: Assessing risk of the rona as life tries to get normal - Fido - 07-03-2020

(07-03-2020, 05:41 AM)Dumbo Wrote:
(07-03-2020, 04:27 AM)Fulham Fallout Wrote: I’m 95% certain I’ve had it so non too fussed about being in close proximity to other people.  I won’t be rushing back to a bar because

Re the virus it does make me laugh when people say “I was ill last <insert month from last year> and so I think I’ve had it”.  Yeah, right.

Okay.

I know the colleges are closed but there must be online self-awareness courses available somewhere. I think they might be of benefit to some people on here.

RE: Assessing risk of the rona as life tries to get normal - Fulham Fallout - 07-03-2020

(07-03-2020, 05:57 AM)Fido Wrote:

Okay.

I know the colleges are closed but there must be online self-awareness courses available somewhere. I think they might be of benefit to some people on here.

My son’s friend was coming round our house every day from when the gyms closed until lockdown to use our gym with my son for over an hour each day in close proximity to my son and using the same equipment they sweated on. On the last day he was here he felt light headed and then became ill as did all of his family.  Myself and my son became ill soon afterwards and I had a fever and lack of sense of smell.  My son’s friends parents have both since tested positive with the anti body test.

No self-awareness required here thank you.

RE: Assessing risk of the rona as life tries to get normal - Fido - 07-03-2020

(07-03-2020, 06:23 AM)Fulham Fallout Wrote:

Okay.

My son’s friend was coming round our house every day from when the gyms closed until lockdown to use our gym with my son for over an hour each day in close proximity to my son and using the same equipment they sweated on. On the last day he was here he felt light headed and then became ill as did all of his family.  Myself and my son became ill soon afterwards and I had a fever and lack of sense of smell.  My son’s friends parents have both since tested positive with the anti body test.

Probably beg to differ on the point above. It's does sound extremely likely that you've had it given the above but it's more the "I'm right and every other fugger is wrong" comment at the bottom that clinches it. But I guess that's the "self-awareness" element I couldn't resist pointing out*

*along with probably another hundred or so examples over the years.

RE: Assessing risk of the rona as life tries to get normal - Tom Joad - 07-03-2020

Maybe it does, but over 60 years experience has informed me of the difference between a few sniffles and the unholy motherfucker of an illness me and Mrs Joad had earlier this year.
I'm fairly sure we had it but I'll still be wary.

RE: Assessing risk of the rona as life tries to get normal - billybassett - 07-03-2020

A number of my friends who are usually bomb proof over the years were very ill between Dec and Mar with flu like symptoms. One a window cleaner who's never had a day off in god knows how many years. He was laid up for 2 weeks with a chest infection.

So the "it does make me laugh when people say “I was ill last <insert month from last year> and so I think I’ve had it”" comment is a bit facile really because like me - who was in close contact with people with a respiratory illness earlier in the year - could well have had it and most probably have.

It's not a case of acquiring a badge it's a case of looking back and realising actually this virus entered the country last autumn and many people suffered with "winter flu" that could well have been that virus.

(07-03-2020, 06:53 AM)Fido Wrote:
(07-03-2020, 06:23 AM)Fulham Fallout Wrote:

Okay.

Probably beg to differ on the point above. It's does sound extremely likely that you've had it given the above but it's more the "I'm right and every other fugger is wrong" comment at the bottom that clinches it. But I guess that's the "self-awareness" element I couldn't resist pointing out*

*along with probably another hundred or so examples over the years.

So people who claim they had it here from last year are more experienced than the scientists who have pinpointed the first cases? 

#Obsessed