WBAUnofficial
Here we go again - Printable Version

+- WBAUnofficial (https://wbaunofficial.org.uk)
+-- Forum: WBAUnofficial (https://wbaunofficial.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Politics (https://wbaunofficial.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Here we go again (/showthread.php?tid=33159)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

RE: Here we go again - Derek Hardballs - 04-21-2024

• Simplify tax, close all loopholes and diddums to the industry that has been built around circumventing it.
  • Any party political campaign is bound legally to telling the truth. Those who do not adhere to this face criminal prosecution not fines. The industrial scale misdirection shall we say by the Tories at the last election has set the tone for the parties behaviour in government. Which let’s face it has been has been appalling.
  • Pay a larger salary for MPs but no outside jobs allowed, expenses cut to the bare bone, no donations allowed and if found to have received one instant by-election
  • Election campaign funds restricted and paid for from public money not by donors, lobbying, business, media companies.
  • Less holidays as they have silly amounts of time off.
  • Nationalise / non profit public transport or insist that routes are chosen on need not just profitability
  • Nationalise / non-profit water there is no excuse for failing monopolies creaming millions of pounds off the general public in profit.
  • Energy companies profits capped and any excess is taxed or subsidises the most vulnerable.
  • Legislate that local companies are prioritised as suppliers to local government and NHS rather than contracts given to Serco and other large dubiously connected businesses who have a history of poor service but continue to procure large contracts.

Politics and politicians should be separated as much as possible from having vested/financial interests because ultimately money corrupts and decisions are made not in the interests of those they seek to govern but those they or their party wish to profit from. Also morally politicians should be held to a much higher standard than others because they have decided they want to make the rules we all have to adhere to. Sanctions if they fail to live up to those standards should be a zero tolerance rule book and mean a by-election and expulsion from political life.

RE: Here we go again - Borin' Baggie - 04-21-2024

(04-21-2024, 10:19 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
  • Simplify tax, close all loopholes and diddums to the industry that has been built around circumventing it.
  • Any party political campaign is bound legally to telling the truth. Those who do not adhere to this face criminal prosecution not fines. The industrial scale misdirection shall we say by the Tories at the last election has set the tone for the parties behaviour in government. Which let’s face it has been has been appalling.
  • Pay a larger salary for MPs but no outside jobs allowed, expenses cut to the bare bone, no donations allowed and if found to have received one instant by-election
  • Election campaign funds restricted and paid for from public money not by donors, lobbying, business, media companies.
  • Privatise public transport or insist that routes are chosen on need not just profitability
  • Privatise water there is no excuse for failing monopolies creaming millions of pounds off the general public in profit.
  • Energy companies profits capped and any excess is taxed or subsidises the most vulnerable.
  • Legislate that local companies are prioritised as suppliers to local government and NHS rather than contracts given to Serco and other large dubiously connected businesses who have a history of poor service but continue to procure large contracts.

Hi Maggie

(04-21-2024, 10:25 AM)Borin' Baggie Wrote:
  • Privatise public transport or insist that routes are chosen on need not just profitability
  • Privatise water there is no excuse for failing monopolies creaming millions of pounds off the general public in profit.

Hi Maggie

Well spotted  Big Grin

RE: Here we go again - Tom Joad - 04-21-2024

• Nationalise / non profit public transport or insist that routes are chosen on need not just profitability
  • Nationalise / non-profit water there is no excuse for failing monopolies creaming millions of pounds off the general public in profit.

Politics and politicians should be separated as much as possible from having vested/financial interests because ultimately money corrupts and decisions are made not in the interests of those they seek to govern but those they or their party wish to profit from. Also morally politicians should be held to a much higher standard than others because they have decided they want to make the rules we all have to adhere to. Sanctions if they fail to live up to those standards should be a zero tolerance rule book and mean a by-election and expulsion from political life.

Where do I place my X Derek? Although you missed the bit about putting them up against the wall.

RE: Here we go again - Protheroe - 04-21-2024

• Any party political campaign is bound legally to telling the truth.
Also morally politicians should be held to a much higher standard than others because they have decided they want to make the rules we all have to adhere to. Sanctions if they fail to live up to those standards should be a zero tolerance rule book and mean a by-election and expulsion from political life.

Who on Earth would be a politician in an era where people like you, particularly exceptionally sanctimonious people like you, can't handle the truth?

(04-21-2024, 01:24 PM)Protheroe Wrote:
Also morally politicians should be held to a much higher standard than others because they have decided they want to make the rules we all have to adhere to. Sanctions if they fail to live up to those standards should be a zero tolerance rule book and mean a by-election and expulsion from political life.

Who on Earth would be a politician in an era where people like you, particularly exceptionally sanctimonious people like you, can't handle the truth?

Hit a nerve with this I see. If you seek public office then the standards you should adhere to should be above those of others who know they haven’t or couldn’t live up to them. Btw you aren’t Jack Nicholson dear.

RE: Here we go again - CaptainFantastico - 04-21-2024

The likes of Sunak and BoJo don’t do that job for the love of public service and the 150k salary do they

RE: Here we go again - CarlosCorbewrong - 04-21-2024

I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for the disabled and you curse the Tories. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know: that their death, while tragic, probably saved lives. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves money!

We use words like "small boats", "economically inactive", "scroungers". We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punchline! I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then QUESTIONS the manner in which I provide it! I would rather you just said "thank you", and went on your way.

(04-21-2024, 02:32 PM)CarlosCorbewrong Wrote: I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for the disabled and you curse the Tories. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know: that their death, while tragic, probably saved lives. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves money!

We use words like "small boats", "economically inactive", "scroungers". We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punchline! I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then QUESTIONS the manner in which I provide it! I would rather you just said "thank you", and went on your way.

You forgot this bit…

You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me knocking on those doors -- you need me on doorsteps.

RE: Here we go again - Protheroe - 04-21-2024

(04-21-2024, 02:19 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(04-21-2024, 01:24 PM)Protheroe Wrote:

Hit a nerve with this I see. If you seek public office then the standards you should adhere to should be above those of others who know they haven’t or couldn’t live up to them. Btw you aren’t Jack Nicholson dear.

You might like them to tell you the truth, but you couldn't handle the truth they'd be compelled tell you. You'd never vote for them. Nor would anyone else.

The truth of the matter is that both main parties have already committed to either exceptionally deep cuts in public expenditure after the next election, or even more borrowing or even more taxation (most likely a combination of all three). Neither of them are telling you this. Instead we're having pointless arguments about VAT on school fees, putting non-doms off staying here, tax "cuts" which are nothing of the sort and employing a few more folks at the HMRC to chase down evasion. 

None of this touches the sides of problem actually measured in the high tens of £billions each year.

Neither party will tell you the truth about the unwinding of QE. Neither will tell you that inflation target is likely to be increased to 3% to help inflate away debt (and so your money halves in value every 20 years or so). Neither will tell you that we're back in an era where long term interest rates have reverted to the historic mean rather than the zero interest rates prevalent during the most destructive monetary experiment in history over the last 16 years.

Jeremy Hunt is lying to you. Rachel Reeves is lying to you. They both know they're doing it and you're queueing on the left.

[Image: EVigSd1X0AIW4BD.jpg]