Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Us 78-81 v Villa 80-82
(10-16-2017, 01:32 PM)Gewonenzow Wrote:
(10-16-2017, 01:15 PM)tiptontown Wrote:
(10-16-2017, 12:56 PM)Gewonenzow Wrote:
(10-16-2017, 11:57 AM)tiptontown Wrote: Can relate to the poor attendances. I lost interest in football in general. Went nearly 5 years without going to a match.
Saw us lose to Liverpool on boxing day 1983 and didn't go to a game again until early part of 1988, a draw against Leicester. When I got the taste for it again.

I missed a similar period although mine had more to do with my dad's interest waning and then being dragged around the country in my early teens. By the time I moved back to Brum it was 1989, and I started to go as and when I could. I must have been a masochist because the year it really got under my skin was that fateful season under Barmy, but it didn't feel like purgatory at the time. Back then I think I just appreciated the opportunity to go.
To be fair around that time i did get married and took a mortgage on, so going up the Albion while they were on a downward spiral was well down my list of priorities.

Strangely enough that season under Gould I went to shed loads of away games. Just enjoyed the days rather than the football on view.

Well that's it, isn't it. Lifestage has a huge part to play in fans' decisions to go, irrespective of how well or shit the team are playing. That and finances. 

Supporters who did brave the eighties in their entirety must have fond memories in spite of the shite football, declining attendances and assorted aggro. It must have been a good laff.

Scary at times too. Not many grounds I felt comfortable wearing colours (unlike today).
I loved it in the 80's not a care in the world just pay the old lady my "keep" money then go on the lash with the albion best days ever whatever state we was in the football came second always now today and older it's different
(10-16-2017, 02:09 PM)Big Cyrille Wrote: I loved it in the 80's not a care in the world just pay the old lady my "keep" money then go on the lash with the albion best days ever whatever state we was in the football came second always now today and older it's different
A lot of things I loved in the 80s, being the era of my teens and early adulthood, but I don't miss the shite we had at the Albion in those later days of that decade.
Happy days are those early 80s such as visiting Villa Park in the summer sun of 83 and despite losing a thriller 4-3 being with my first girlfriend who also became a Baggie, whilst also seeing us beat Man U 2-0 when they were odds on to win the title under BFR.
Then we had the Saunders era etc. By the end of the decade it was awful, bar a little purple patch for a few months under Talbot.
In those days I'd often turn up on the day in my Maestro and meet mates in the Woodman for a Highgate Mild, before standing on the Brummie with a couple of workmates. 
Some music of the 80s, fashion, cars, all bring back a golden period for me, but thinking of Stewart Evans falling over like a giraffe on ice isn't going to make me feel a warm fuzziness for those times.
We've had some carp. But Stewart Evans is without doubt the worst Albion player I've ever seen. For a tall bloke he wasn't even that good in the air. Does make me laugh when people say we are carp now when you compare some of the players from that era to the likes of Evans, Chadli, Krychowiak etc.
It's chalk and cheese and about 200 million quid difference never understand why people try to make out we should be grateful what we have now
(10-16-2017, 02:52 PM)Big Cyrille Wrote: It's chalk and cheese and about 200 million quid difference never understand why people try to make out we should  be grateful what we have now
It's not chalk and cheese though- it's football. We could be like Coventry, so on the whole we should be grateful for how things are. No one has a divine right and 86-01 should have enough lowlights to keep us humble.
That's exactly the problem with our fan Base been brainwashed thinking we are lucky to be here well no we are not we deserve to be here on merit this little old albion has to stop no wonder peace and our manager love damping down our expectations we are not stupid we know our place but don't need it ramming down our throats to keep us in check .
(10-16-2017, 03:47 PM)Big Cyrille Wrote: That's exactly the problem with our fan Base been brainwashed thinking we are lucky to be here well no we are not we deserve to be here on merit this little old albion has to stop no wonder peace and our manager love damping down our expectations we are not stupid we know our place but don't need it ramming down our throats to keep us in check .
It's not brainwashing from anyone, but a mature perspective based on witnessing 42 years of good and bad. Perspective gained by ironic laughing with my friend through the pain of Woking- shaking hands with their fans. Awful defeats in front of 8,000 crowds v the likes of Millwall when Saunders was in charge.
Perspective at the other end of seeing us crush Man U 4-0 two years in a row in the late 70s and rip seven past a good Coventry team.
I've seen most of the highs and lows and being mid table Prem with a dull style of football isn't really that bad compared to what I've seen.
Incidentally, there's been more good days than bad in this decade too. Wins v all the big clubs, and Villa for the first time in 25 plus years, when seeing Liverpool come to town in the League Cup for a routine win was the highlight of the decade in the 90s.
It doesn't mean we don't want to see better either, we know the football's crap at the minute, but we've seen crap football from the bottom of the Championship rather than the middle of the Prem.
It's been a lot lot worse chap.
With a lot less money that's the difference mate that's why I only expect better football played saying that I would have a turgid 1-0 tonight it's needs must