Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chadli
(10-12-2017, 09:33 AM)Strawman Wrote:
(10-12-2017, 09:25 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: Is there anyway we can make this Pulis's fault? I think it is grossly unfair that he can get away with this and surely some of the experts on here could crowbar some criticism towards him under the guise of a balanced opinion.

Presumably, in the interests of what you call balance, you will be slagging Evans off for not attending the year before or Pulis for not being even-handed in the treatment of players. After all you wouldn't want people to think you had an agenda and lack of balance 

'But Pulis insists his relationship with Chadli hasn't suffered since then, and maintains that the decision for him to stay was a mutual one. "I don't think it was a refusal (to go)," he said. "Jonny Evans did it the year before, it was the fact they finished a lot later than everyone else and needed a break.
"Chadli is a very good professional, he looks after himself extremely well.
"Along with a lot of players today, especially the foreign players, he has his own fitness advisors and coaches.
"Chadders's argument was a fair argument. As a manager, in the modern game, you have to sit down and talk to these players.
"They're a lot more upstanding in their knowledge about what they need and want in respect of fitness. That was fine from Chads."

My agenda is simple do I think TP is the best man for the job at WBA at present yes. Do I think that may change in the coming years yes because every manager has their time. Will I care that much when he leaves? Not really. Will I try not to knee jerk my way through an entire season when his replacement is employed like many do? Yes.

If Chadli can steer clear of injury for the majority of the season from now until May then it might have been the right decision to stay away from Austria. At present he's had quite a few weeks off through injury so it's hard to judge. What I do know is our Sports Science team are extremely good at keeping players fit so I question the point of the player having his own fitness team. 

We undoubtedly need his creativity and focus for the season but whether we get it is the question. That will come down firstly to the player and secondly to Pulis.
(10-12-2017, 09:59 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(10-12-2017, 09:25 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: Is there anyway we can make this Pulis's fault? I think it is grossly unfair that he can get away with this and surely some of the experts on here could crowbar some criticism towards him under the guise of a balanced opinion.

Presumably, in the interests of what you call balance, you will be slagging Evans off for not attending the year before or Pulis for not being even-handed in the treatment of players. After all you wouldn't want people to think you had an agenda and lack of balance 

'But Pulis insists his relationship with Chadli hasn't suffered since then, and maintains that the decision for him to stay was a mutual one. "I don't think it was a refusal (to go)," he said. "Jonny Evans did it the year before, it was the fact they finished a lot later than everyone else and needed a break.
"Along with a lot of players today, especially the foreign players, he has his own fitness advisors and coaches.
"Chadders's argument was a fair argument. As a manager, in the modern game, you have to sit down and talk to these players.
"They're a lot more upstanding in their knowledge about what they need and want in respect of fitness. That was fine from Chads."

My agenda is simple do I think TP is the best man for the job at WBA at present yes. Do I think that may change in the coming years yes because every manager has their time. Will I care that much when he leaves? Not really. Will I try not to knee jerk my way through an entire season when his replacement is employed like many do? Yes.

If Chadli can steer clear of injury for the majority of the season from now until May then it might have been the right decision to stay away from Austria. At present he's had quite a few weeks off through injury so it's hard to judge. What I do know is our Sports Science team are extremely good at keeping players fit so I question the point of the player having his own fitness team. 

We undoubtedly need his creativity and focus for the season but whether we get it is the question. That will come down firstly to the player and secondly to Pulis.

Strangely for me, I wasn't particularly having a go at Pulis this time. His quote about Evans and Chadli seemed very balanced. It's just that some on here seem to pick out particular players for having a go at while ignoring others.

There seem to be quite a few possible doubts at the moment including Morrison and HRK. Players get injured whether they have been to Austria or not and TBH for all the riding up hills we often look unfit compared to other teams.  Chadli does seem a bit of a sick-note at the moment though, not sure if he has always been injury prone.
(10-12-2017, 10:15 AM)Strawman Wrote:
(10-12-2017, 09:59 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:

Strangely for me, I wasn't particularly having a go at Pulis this time. His quote about Evans and Chadli seemed very balanced. It's just that some on here seem to pick out particular players for having a go at while ignoring others.

There seem to be quite a few possible doubts at the moment including Morrison and HRK. Players get injured whether they have been to Austria or not and TBH for all the riding up hills we often look unfit compared to other teams.  Chadli does seem a bit of a sick-note at the moment though, not sure if he has always been injury prone.

I think Chadli is used by both pro and anti Pulis posters. As a high profile flair player he seems to get far too much sympathy / understanding from those that believe football should be played the "right way". Those that use such crass terms as Tippy Tappy Wink may on the other hand see Chadli as an example of a player that is unfairly put on a pedestal due to his ability and in turn a stick to beat the manager with ignoring or playing down the players own responsibility to perform.
Mind you if Pulis was the one who bought him, surely he must have had some sort of plan to use him to his strengths. If he didn't, then perhaps he could have gotten a much cheaper journeyman/grafter instead?
If Chadli is the Lord Lucan of the Premiership, as sometimes mentioned by Spurs fans, then it surely was a risk to pay so much for him in the first place. IMHO both Manager who bought him and player himself have something to prove.
Chadli is emblematic of the fact that we do actually have an interesting squad. It would/will be interesting to see what a fresh pair of eyes, pencil, and teamsheet will do with it.
It's becoming a stranger and stranger story. None of us understand what's going on here so pointless laying blame anywhere.
Agreed.

For the sake of balance however I strongly suspect that he's fine
(10-12-2017, 10:52 AM)richbaggie Wrote: It's becoming a stranger and stranger story. None of us understand what's going on here so pointless laying blame anywhere.

One person on this dump knows the reason and sensibly hasn't hasn't divulged the reason
(10-12-2017, 11:12 AM)Foo Fighters Wrote:
(10-12-2017, 10:52 AM)richbaggie Wrote: It's becoming a stranger and stranger story. None of us understand what's going on here so pointless laying blame anywhere.

One person on this dump knows the reason and sensibly hasn't hasn't divulged the reason

Nor alluded to either.  You don't reveal your sauce.

(10-12-2017, 11:08 AM)ASOGF Wrote: Agreed.

For the sake of balance however I strongly suspect that he's fine

I suspect you're right. 

Which poses an entirely different question.

Is Chadli being a twat and feigning injury to wait out a move in January, or is TP deliberately freezing him out the match day squad to make him leave?

I don't know what Chadli's attitude is like with past employers, but I'm sure DK will provide some evidence (anecdotal maybe) of TP having form for this type of treatment when dealing with "flair" players in particular. 

Maybe the real truth lies somewhere in between - Chadli is keen to go and TP has therefore discarded him from his plans.
My opinion matters
(10-12-2017, 11:21 AM)CA Baggie Wrote: Is Chadli being a twat and feigning injury to wait out a move in January, or is TP deliberately freezing him out of the match day squad to make him leave?

I don't know what Chadli's attitude is like with past employers, but I'm sure DK will provide some evidence (anecdotal maybe) of TP having form for this type of treatment when dealing with "flair" players in particular. 

Maybe the real truth lies somewhere in between - Chadli is keen to go and TP has therefore discarded him from his plans.

To be honest, I've not really followed the Chadli story, so I wasn't sure if he was injured or being frozen out. From the recent posts on here it looks like you're in the same boat. 

There are plenty of instances at Stoke where Pulis bought players in, usually attack minded players, then didn't seem to know what to do with them - Eidur Gudjohnsen, Patrick Berger, Tom Soares, Tuncay, Michael Owen, Dave Kitson. But probably the best comparison to the apparent Chadli situation would be Jermaine Pennant. 

Pennant rarely had a bad game for us under Pulis, but there were a few off the field misdemeanours, late night booze-ups, breaking curfews, and being a bit flash with the women and the cars which seemed to get him into trouble with Pulis. He got left out after one late night incident too many, and then barely had a look in after that. 

The parallel with Chadli was in what was said. Pennant claimed to be desperate to get back in the team. Pulis continually claimed that there was no problem between the two of them, and once Pennant's fitness levels were back up, then he'd be back in the team. The fitness levels never got back up, and in the meantime we tried every ill-conceived square peg in the right wing hole when it was blatantly obvious that the team were suffering without Pennant there. 

Once it had been established that Pennant was fit and was being left out, it was up to Dave 'lively and inventive' Kemp to deliver the news that he was being left out because we were 'too open' playing with two wingers. This was utter shit because our best performances AND results had been with the two wingers running at defences and chucking the crosses in for Kenwyne. And in any case, by then Etherington on the other wing had become somewhat injury-prone so it made no sense for Pennant to be the one to give way. He never got back in the team under Pulis.

There was a similar situation over Liam Lawrence who apparently fell over his own dog and was rarely seen again. But that, as they say, is another story.