Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Universal Basic Services
https://www.ucl.ac.uk/bartlett/igp/news/...c-services

Worth a read.
(10-11-2017, 06:54 AM)Heath Wrote: https://www.ucl.ac.uk/bartlett/igp/news/...c-services

Worth a read.
I haven't got time to read it properly so I've read the headlines and am going to have a guess at what the rest says.  It's the internet and it's allowed (if not mandatory).

Some of the brighter amongst us have long realised that all you actually need in life is shelter, food, health, community and time.  The very brightest have realised that a complete lack of ambition or drive is nirvana.  Having a UBI or access to UBS without having to work could disincentivise people from working.  Especially if the UBS were of sufficient standard to maintain a decent lifestyle (per above). 

Fortunately, for the sake of conventional society at least, most people remain oblivious to this fact.

Serious thought however needs to be given to how we, as a country/society/planet transition to automation.  You and I have both read das kapital - it doesn't bode well for the workers.  Any UBS would be kept artificially sub standard to maintain the need to work and to make other people richer.  Unless we collectively seize the means of production of course.

We're entering the automation revolution which, I rationally and without any hint of nervousness, predict will be as impactful as the industrial revolution.  Copywrite piracy and 3d printers will be king if the people are going to come out well from it.  Exciting times indeed.
God help us all if these ideas get any currency.
Unless we collectively seize the means of production of course.

Ah philosophers have only interpreted the world, the point, however, is to change it

You might be onto something.....of course that's what they fear the most and why they hate Corbyn so. They have the whole wealth of the capitalist Arsenal at their disposal and yet they still can't kill ideas
"UBS, like basic income, has the potential to improve work incentives, especially for lower paid workers. It reduces the cash income required, through the benefit system or from savings, for individuals or families to survive at an acceptable standard of living if they have little or no income from labour; and if services are provided to all regardless of work status, then there is no disincentive effect from the loss of access as people move into work or increase their earnings.”

So if people get free housing, internet, food and transport and get taxed at anything over £4300 a year it will increase work incentives? Jesus wept.
(10-11-2017, 10:07 PM)Donegal Wrote: You might be onto something.....of course that's what they fear the most and why they hate Corbyn so

Yep
(10-11-2017, 06:08 PM)Protheroe Wrote: God help us all if these ideas get any currency.

We're going to print out all of your posts to make kindling for the burning stake. Smile
(10-12-2017, 07:18 AM)SophieX Wrote:
(10-11-2017, 06:08 PM)Protheroe Wrote: God help us all if these ideas get any currency.

We're going to print out all of your posts to make kindling for the burning stake. Smile

My name is already on the list, I know that. Yours is on there too, you just haven't realised yet.