Night car cruising in the Black Country - WTF??
Best fred on this dump for years. Cheers, Gents. Thoroughly enjoyed it.
(04-01-2020, 04:48 PM)Arti Wrote: Best fred on this dump for years.  Cheers, Gents. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Amazing what you pick up in the latest legal decisions on BAILI
(04-01-2020, 04:31 PM)fuzzbox Wrote:
(04-01-2020, 03:41 PM)WWHO Wrote:
(04-01-2020, 03:24 PM)fuzzbox Wrote:
(04-01-2020, 02:55 PM)WWHO Wrote: Yeah, it's a curious place that attracts peculiar people.  I must admit I loved living in Tuscon and Nogales.

Well, all advocacy/social movements require a multi-dimensional, horses for courses approach.  As you well know, political lobbying in the corridors of power works in some circumstances, other times direct action is required.  One isn't more effective than the other, per se.

As for me, I studied for a MA in Area Studies at Uni of Liverpool, which had a significant focus on the Americas.  I originally moved to Oaxaca in Mexico to research the leaders of t......

I do miss America.  Everyone had a story, especially the nut jobs.

I'd like to think that's why I chose that approach, but I know that it was because I didn't have the balls for other.

You joined the minutemen?? Is that the way you were originally leaning or was it 'undercover'? I'm amazed they let you in. I would have thought they would be careful. Weren't they wary with your background (If my assumptions are correct about your 'background') 

One thing that's always intrigued me about the direct approach is how do you give it up? I would have thought you have to buy into it heart and soul and your social circle becomes entrenched, so leaving must be a wrench.

My research methodology centred on participatory observation, planting oneself in a 'community' or 'movement' in order to study from within. Moreover, I was open about my background but, at the same time, adopted a fervently a-political approach to my research, seeking to empathise with volunteers in an attempt to investigate their backgrounds and motivations. I made that clear to the leaders when i met them in Tombstone and, despite some reservations, they let me join a patrol group in the Naco sector of Nogales.

I'm lucky that i moved into the field of labour history, which has a tradition of activism amongst its disciples, think Hobsbawm, E.P. Thompson etc.  In saying that, age, responsibilities, disillusionment get the better of you.  I'm not sure i can now justify chaining myself to a fence in the middle of the desert or volunteering with armed vigilantes to the missus.

Fascinating. Did you publish your thesis?

Nah, i was too busy supplanting myself in coal cracker country to study Mayor Lou Barletta's war on 'illegal immigration'.  I ended up leading a community project that explored how hyphenated Americans (mainly the grandchildren of Irish and Italian coal miners) used their own historical ancestry and consciousness to construct a (mainly) negative view of Hispanic migrants.  

I eventually got the hell out of dodge after receiving some unwanted attention from local militia groups.  To be honest, the coal crackers scared me way more than anyone I met in the borderlands.
What’s any of this got to do with Hugg’s 1.3SRi Nova?
(04-01-2020, 05:07 PM)HawkingsHalfpint Wrote: What’s any of this got to do with Hugg’s 1.3SRi Nova?

Arf!

Well my tyres got slashed and I almost crashed but the Lord had mercy
my machine's a dud and I'm stuck in the mud, out in the swamps of Jersey
(04-01-2020, 05:07 PM)HawkingsHalfpint Wrote: What’s any of this got to do with Hugg’s 1.3SRi Nova?

You'll bear witness to some amazing feats 
Bravery in the face of defeat 
All line up and grab yer seat 
'Cause Tony's got a new motor 
SR Nova driving like a joyrider 
Speeding to the corner 
Yer mother warned yer to sound system banger
Without going through the complete thread I reckon it mentions Chavs, crap cars, and their seats right back.

Oh, and their hands down their sweat pants when they get out the shitty vehicle.
(04-01-2020, 03:43 PM)Kit Kat Chunky Wrote: Is Caffeine & Machine any good? I've heard a bit about it.

Like so many places it was good to start with. Last couple of times I went it seeemed to matter more if your face fitted with the gaffer and his mates.
(04-01-2020, 06:36 PM)Protheroe Wrote:
(04-01-2020, 03:43 PM)Kit Kat Chunky Wrote: Is Caffeine & Machine any good? I've heard a bit about it.

Like so many places it was good to start with. Last couple of times I went it seeemed to matter more if your face fitted with the gaffer and his mates.

Bit of a shame when that happens.
(04-01-2020, 06:36 PM)Protheroe Wrote:

Did you turn up in a chav spec nova?