FAQ StevieDM
Think it was you that made a comment about the position of examiners a while back. This may be relevant to other education professionals. Had an email today which in a nutshell says all the exam boards are looking at how or whether schemes such as furlough or the other 80% pay schemes apply to those with contracts in place for May/June/July. Dont want to get to hopeful but id say there is a reasonable case and chance.
I mark A Level scripts for AQA. Interesting what you have just stated above. I've yet to hear anything from the exam board.
(03-31-2020, 08:44 PM)TR 675 Wrote: I mark  A Level scripts for AQA. Interesting what you have just stated above. I've yet to hear anything from the exam board.

I also do AQA and have done for years. The email was from Cambridge but states they are being represented as one entity by the JQC.

Id written it off but when I actually considered it after the email id say there is a strong case. Im contracted to 3 lots this summer and have an annual record (to determine an average) going back about 8 years.
(03-31-2020, 08:10 PM)HeathAyIt Wrote: Think it was you that made a comment about the position of examiners a while back. This may be relevant to other education professionals. Had an email today which in a nutshell says all the exam boards are looking at how or whether schemes such as furlough or the other 80% pay schemes apply to those with contracts in place for May/June/July. Dont want to get to hopeful but id say there is a reasonable case and chance.

Yes, it was me. I work for OCR and had an email along similar lines. Some people's entire income comes from the exam season when they have multiple contracts so it's something that needs to be looked at. OCR pay via PAYE so arguably there's a bona fide case. I moderate one unit and examine another so if there was a chance of 80% of whatever my initial allocation of marking would have been, that's better than nothing!
(03-31-2020, 09:01 PM)HeathAyIt Wrote:
(03-31-2020, 08:44 PM)TR 675 Wrote: I mark  A Level scripts for AQA. Interesting what you have just stated above. I've yet to hear anything from the exam board.

I also do AQA and have done for years. The email was from Cambridge but states they are being represented as one entity by the JQC.

Id written it off but when I actually considered it after the email id say there is a strong case. Im contracted to 3 lots this summer and have an annual record (to determine an average) going back about 8 years.

Wow thats an impressive number of miles you've done with AQA Heath. Despite teaching since 1995 I've only being marking exams since 2018 so this would have been my third year working for AQA so I'm not expecting anything from them.  Even so despite after only a couple of years under my belt they asked me to be team leader for this series of exams. Fuck me they must be desperate.
(04-01-2020, 08:33 AM)TR 675 Wrote:
(03-31-2020, 09:01 PM)HeathAyIt Wrote:

Wow thats an impressive number of miles you've done with AQA Heath. Despite teaching since 1995 I've only being marking exams since 2018 so this would have been my third year working for AQA so I'm not expecting anything from them.  Even so despite after only a couple of years under my belt they asked me to be team leader for this series of exams. Fuck me they must be desperate.

Good effort mate. Glasto usually gets in the way of me taking up the TL role but I know people that do it and its a decent reward as long as you get a good team underneath you. You may well still receive something regardless of years as theretically it sits more under Sunaks first scheme than his second, so length of service may be irrelevant.
(04-01-2020, 08:00 AM)steviedm Wrote:
(03-31-2020, 08:10 PM)HeathAyIt Wrote: Think it was you that made a comment about the position of examiners a while back. This may be relevant to other education professionals. Had an email today which in a nutshell says all the exam boards are looking at how or whether schemes such as furlough or the other 80% pay schemes apply to those with contracts in place for May/June/July. Dont want to get to hopeful but id say there is a reasonable case and chance.

Yes, it was me. I work for OCR and had an email along similar lines. Some people's entire income comes from the exam season when they have multiple contracts so it's something that needs to be looked at. OCR pay via PAYE so arguably there's a bona fide case. I moderate one unit and examine another so if there was a chance of 80% of whatever my initial allocation of marking would have been, that's better than nothing!

Yeah, when i stopped to think about it more broadly i can see why there is a strong case. Not like the money isnt already sat there either. I suspect they will pay at the agreed minumum number of papers at 80%.