Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Universal Credit
In 7 years of Govt, this seems to be the pinnacle of Tory achievement.

Arrears of rent running at an average of 80% in areas where it is already up and running. Total cost of project will mean it would need to run for 80 years to recoup the savings it was trying to make.

Probably be handed to G4S to sort out next.
No. We mustn't trust the people to budget must we?
I assume you are talking about the people who have constructed the program, which, ironically, is 4 x over budget.
No I'm not. But you knew that.

The principle of Universal Credit is correct. The Tories have implemented it in the usual ham-fisted way government and the civil service does. It doesn't stop it being the right thing to do.
The uneducated poor (not meant in any pejorative sense by the way) often lack either the literacy or numeracy skills to budget, even if they were adequately resourced to make a budget viable. That's leaving aside that they may also be dysfunctional in other ways.

Not everything can be reduced to a one-liner, no matter how much the glibertarians might want it to be so.
(10-06-2017, 07:06 PM)Protheroe Wrote: No I'm not. But you knew that.

The principle of Universal Credit is correct. The Tories have implemented it in the usual ham-fisted way government and the civil service does. It doesn't stop it being the right thing to do.

'The right thing to do'.

Wow.

A moral stance that discounts the fact that it is destroying lives and hasnt achieved any of its original aims.

The 'right' thing to do would be to check you have the capacity to make it work before you bungle it for 7 years.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RJO0gLgg3sI
(10-06-2017, 07:00 PM)Protheroe Wrote: No. We mustn't trust the people to budget must we?

Aye a cabinet full of multi millionaires lecturing their dispossessed subjects that they should budget
It's kind of easy to budget when you've not got to think about income and expenditure. A lot  tougher on 70 quid a week

Charm personified in that post Proth

I am noticing that since you've stopped winning, you are sliding into Daily Mail mode fairly regularly
(10-06-2017, 07:16 PM)Ossian Wrote: The uneducated poor (not meant in any pejorative sense by the way) often lack either the literacy or numeracy skills to budget, even if they were adequately resourced to make a budget viable. That's leaving aside that they may also be dysfunctional in other ways.

Not everything can be reduced to a one-liner, no matter how much the glibertarians might want it to be so.

How will the "uneducated poor" (your term) learn to budget if they're not given the opportunity?

The alternative is the client state.

(10-06-2017, 08:01 PM)Heath Wrote: The 'right' thing to do would be to check you have the capacity to make it work before you bungle it for 7 years.

Which is why I qualified my comment Heath. The state is pretty shit at implementing anything of this scale. One wonders therefore why people suddenly appear to want 'more state'.

(10-09-2017, 06:55 AM)Donegal Wrote:
(10-06-2017, 07:00 PM)Protheroe Wrote: No. We mustn't trust the people to budget must we?

Aye a cabinet full of multi millionaires lecturing their dispossessed subjects that they should budget
It's kind of easy to budget when you've not got to think about income and expenditure. A lot  tougher on 70 quid a week

Charm personified in that post Proth

I am noticing that since you've stopped winning, you are sliding into Daily Mail mode fairly regularly

What a fucking ridiculous post. Budgeting is precisely what you ought to be doing on £70.00 a week. I worked as a volunteer debt counsellor many moons ago, half the problems were down to poor budgeting.
(10-09-2017, 08:15 AM)Protheroe Wrote:
(10-06-2017, 07:16 PM)Ossian Wrote: The uneducated poor (not meant in any pejorative sense by the way) often lack either the literacy or numeracy skills to budget, even if they were adequately resourced to make a budget viable. That's leaving aside that they may also be dysfunctional in other ways.

How will the "uneducated poor" (your term) learn to budget if they're not given the opportunity?

The alternative is the client state.

(10-06-2017, 08:01 PM)Heath Wrote: The 'right' thing to do would be to check you have the capacity to make it work before you bungle it for 7 years.

Which is why I qualified my comment Heath. The state is pretty shit at implementing anything of this scale. One wonders therefore why people suddenly appear to want 'more state'.

Private Sector good, Public Sector bad.
(10-09-2017, 08:23 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: Private Sector good, Public Sector bad.

Seeing things in black & white again Dekka. At least you're consistent.