The oft discussed financial help
On here, with everyone demands that the Government helps them out, has thrown up a paradox in one sector that I know of. Supermarkets are desperate to take on temporary staff for the duration of the crisis. In the one my Wife and Son works in, they have had six that's SIX applicants so far turn down the job when they realize they won't get paid by the supermarket AND their 80% from their current employer and in the same vein, I see a lot of people praising the supermarkets for organizing social distancing in their queue's, guess what ? someone tells me there is a pandemic of a virus that could very well kill me, but there is a fair to good chance I will be ok if I take certain precautions ................. Nobody will need to tell me twice.
One thing Is very apparent to me since this started, is that a great deal of the population expect everything to be done for them, which perpetuates another mystery, if you expect the state to wipe your arse for you, why buy all the fucking bog rolls.
You know what, if as a consequence it brings down the cost of living to levels where you could conceivably have couples who can bring up a family on one salary and maybe the other doing part-time at most it may not be a bad thing. Funnily enough people out and about (and still keeping distance) seem to have made the world a more sociable place all of a sudden as well. Mass change never really happens through a collective effort unless "inspired" by something out of the ordinary.

(03-28-2020, 07:20 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(03-28-2020, 05:39 PM)cornishbaggie Wrote: On here, with everyone demands that the Government helps them out, has thrown up a paradox in one sector that I know of. Supermarkets are desperate to take on temporary staff for the duration of the crisis. In the one my Wife and Son works in, they have had six that's SIX applicants so far turn down the job when they realize they won't get paid by the supermarket AND their 80% from their current employer and in the same vein, I see a lot of people praising the supermarkets for organizing social distancing in their queue's, guess what ? someone tells me there is a pandemic of a virus that could very well kill me, but there is a fair to good chance I will be ok if I take certain precautions ................. Nobody will need to tell me twice.
One thing Is very apparent to me since this started, is that a great deal of the population expect everything to be done for them, which perpetuates another mystery, if you expect the state to wipe your arse for you, why buy all the fucking bog rolls.

And if the state didn’t step in? What do you think would of happened then?

That's not what he means, FFS sake.
Must be something wrong with how my brain works, I never even considered that you could claim the 80% and then get paid from a Supermarket too. Just shows that there are some skanky mo fos out there.
You can go on furlough and your employer can pay you 80% of your salary via PAYE rebate.

There appears to be nowt in the rules to stop anyone going on to get a temporary job at Tesco.

Whether the PAYE system will catch up with you in the future, remains to be seen.