Can I just say a massive thank you!
Tbh I don't think they need to be honoured, It would just be nice if my wife came home not in tears from the abuse she receives in the supermarket that she works in from members of the public, same for my son who is a duty manager in the same supermarket.
I am manager of a treatment plant on a landfill site that eradicates all the toxins from the fluid that landfill produces so it is discharged into a stream as pure clean water, therefore I have to continue working to avoid any serious pollution, every morning this week I have had pointless conversations as I arrived with queues of people at the adjacent HWRC site demanding to know why they can't dump the grass cuttings and have also been abused.
Now as far as I am aware non of these people were politicians, I could be wrong, so it would just be nice if people didn't worry about what happens after this is finished, just don't make it any harder than it is at the moment.
As much as I wouldn't refuse it, I don't know anyone in the NHS who is expecting a bonus for doing this - we knew what we signed up for. I would be delighted if the respect levels escalated - not just amongst the public who abuse the system and, sometimes, the staff but also the politicians who like to kick the NHS around like a political football insisting that it's a 'waste'.
(03-26-2020, 02:01 PM)Birdman1811 Wrote:
(03-26-2020, 01:55 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: I think we can have a separate thread for the moral free businesses and their bosses! The list is getting longer by the day.

Really is, a lot of boycotting by my family after this I tell you.

To go back to the OP though, yes big praise to all mentioned.

See Asda gave their staff a weeks pay as a bonus for these times. Good to see.

Fair play to Asda, but the Supermarkets are one of the few sectors making money out of this.
(03-26-2020, 01:47 PM)Ciro Wrote: We need long memories after this to remember this and not go back to old ways. Also interestingly on a slightly different tack gp surgeries and hospital emergency departments have been markedly quieter as people aren’t going with menial things. An a and e physio reported to me yesterday that the walking wounded with low grade injuries aren’t going in and by all accounts. This is how a & e should be in normal life.

+1.

Fines for those who don't show up for appointments (unless they have a bloody good excuse) is long overdue as well.
(03-26-2020, 01:15 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: To those that work in the NHS, those that work in public transport, in science and medicine, supermarkets, carers and those that have volunteered to help in this crisis. 

Hopefully when all this settles down those people are honoured / thanked in some tangible way like tax cuts, discounts in shops etc. Now warning a political point some of those I’ve mentioned are classed as low skilled jobs but when the shit hits the fan who were the people who held this country together?! So when they complain about their wages, or working conditions in better times support them rather than suggest they aren’t important or just moaning.

Well said and agreed.

We owe these brave and dedicated people so much.
Remember and reward the good people and never forgive or forget the bad actors once this awful period is finally over.
A big massive thank you from me and all my family. Just heard from my sister in law who is a nurse at the QE Birmingham and she states it’s been the hardest day yet medic’s are working there socks off doing at least 12hr shifts. But keeping there spirits up.
Well said Derek. The NHS staff deserve full credit for their efforts. I'd also like to thank shop workers for being at work through this time, right in the front line too. I'm not a regular in shops, the missus does that, bless her. I did have to go shopping for a sick relative though. It took 3 separate shops as there wasn't much around last Monday. In all those shops there were people working away facing the general public, (dunno how they manage that!). Heroes, each one of 'em.
Big thanks to all and everyone that's keeping this country ticking over during these difficult times, whatever it is they're doing. Ultimately it's just their jobs (as I'm sure the majority of them would say), but without their efforts, we'd be screwed.
And those dealing with your waste and water!
(03-26-2020, 06:34 PM)coxy134 Wrote: And those dealing with your waste and water!

+1!

I'm still at it, keeping sewage treatment plants maintained, sewage and septic tank pumps working. But alas I did have to cancel a customer today, as I deemed his Koi Carp pond pump a non emergency!