Lockdown Food
We generally cook from scratch anyway so nothing too different. More time for optional extras like nibbles/starters/desserts though so we've out own hummus, made scones a few days ago and today made an absolutely delicious carrot cake (hummingbird bakery book is a winner). Having not thought it through,we now have an entire cake to get through between two of us. There are worse fates...

Stir fry tonight to get through some odds and ends of veg.
(03-25-2020, 02:11 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(03-25-2020, 02:00 PM)SausEggBaton Wrote: I love a good stew in the slow cooker!

That must be a fucking big cooker!

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
Not wanting to make light of the situation as it really is a terrible thing that’s led to this, but the way pollution has cleared up and how so many people are spending more time than ever with families is a lovely side effect.

Realise there are many people out there who are going through very difficult periods supporting those in need, but I do hope big companies take a look at productivity, commitment and employee happiness and realise there may well be some long term learnings to take from this spell.
(03-25-2020, 03:44 PM)fbaggy Wrote: Beef Chilli in the slow cooker today, should be enough for at least 2 days

Good stuff!

My top tip ingredient for beef chilli in a slow cooker is a can of beer!
(03-25-2020, 06:51 PM)SausEggBaton Wrote:
(03-25-2020, 03:44 PM)fbaggy Wrote: Beef Chilli in the slow cooker today, should be enough for at least 2 days

Good stuff!

I like to cook in a Potjie (South African Cauldron) so will definitely try this!!

Good stuff!

Hopefully minus the can.
Wife put together onion soup with cheesed croutons. Looked awful. But the best dish I’ve had in awhile
(03-25-2020, 09:06 PM)baggpuss Wrote:

Good stuff!

I like to cook in a Potjie (South African Cauldron) so will definitely try this!!

Do you cook with it over fire / coals?
(03-25-2020, 11:41 PM)Pickle Rick Wrote: just eating too much in general - I may not get out of the door post lockdown
fried eggs and fried bread simply today - but a more ambitious prawn curry yesterday - plenty of seafood in fridge and cold box still

That's hardly going to help the former comment! Wink
(03-25-2020, 02:49 PM)Baggiejacko Wrote: I'm eating food by sell by date order. A bit Russian Roulette. Forgot how nice a cheese sandwich could be

Only one to worry about is Use By - the rest are quality assurances only. Best Before (End) simply means after that date the food may not be as great as it was, but there's no harm in eating it. Use by you really shouldn't go past, but I do from time to time.

I used to work at a place that tested food, there's not that much that will do you any major harm.