At what point?
(03-22-2020, 06:18 PM)Bromley Baggie 2 Wrote: Use the Army to enforce the lockdown. There were pics of a squad of soldiers on Croydon High Street last week, so the option is there.

Talking to a friend who is an ex squaddie, the Army can't enforce any form of lockdown, they would have to declare martial law for the Army to be involved

The Army would be used as extra security at supermarkets  especially at or during  delivery times
Currently at work at the JLR plant in Wolverhampton where the management have, in their wisdom, decided that finishing the build of all engines we had orders for is so important at the current time that they were left with no choice other than to stay operating until at least Wednesday and to roll both shifts into one to ensure as many people as possible are together in the building at the same time. There are too many staff here though so a bunch of us are sat down at the tables we use for our breaks doing nothing. Been here just over an hour so far and have another 7 and a half to go exposing myself to contagion risk for absolutely no reason at all.
Yesterday I went on a walk through the countryside as I have been doing most days for the last 4 years and I was shocked at the amount of people out walking yesterday that I’d never seen before and by far the largest amount I’d seen in 4 years. Lines of cars parked down country lanes or on empty pub car parks. I cut my walk short and went home.

I also noticed a lot of cyclist are still riding in groups. Hardly social distancing is it?
With the couldn't give a fk attitude displayed by so many yesterday and it being shown all over the media. We will almost certainly be isolated from the rest of the world. Boris needs to get proactive, he needs to get the big stick out. Talk time is over. HE IS TO BLAME FOR PEOPLES STUPIDITY. LOCKDOWN AND LOCKDOWN HARD NOW.
(03-23-2020, 08:37 AM)Remi_Moses Wrote: With the couldn't give a fk attitude displayed by so many yesterday and it being shown all over the media. We will almost certainly be isolated from the rest of the world. Boris needs to get proactive, he needs to get the big stick out. Talk time is over. HE IS TO BLAME FOR PEOPLES STUPIDITY. LOCKDOWN AND LOCKDOWN HARD NOW.

I disagree. People are to blame for their stupidity. I'm sick and tired of hearing that it is someone else's fault all the time, a lot of people are fucking idiots and don't deserve to be treated as well as they are in this country. It is their fault and no-one else's.
(03-23-2020, 08:37 AM)Remi_Moses Wrote: With the couldn't give a fk attitude displayed by so many yesterday and it being shown all over the media. We will almost certainly be isolated from the rest of the world. Boris needs to get proactive, he needs to get the big stick out. Talk time is over. HE IS TO BLAME FOR PEOPLES STUPIDITY. LOCKDOWN AND LOCKDOWN HARD NOW.

People have had more than enough time to comply with the advice etc but still large swathes of the populace choose to ignore it or are just to stupid to understand it, so I don't think Boris has any other choice. All other countries have gone into lock down of some  degree or other, USA california in total lock down, New York in lock down, now new Zealand are  the latest country to enforce it, just WTF are the government waiting for a huge surge in fatalities like Italy did then its to late, DO IT NOW BORIS FOR ALL OUR SAKES.
(03-23-2020, 09:20 AM)TETLEY74 Wrote:

People have had more than enough time to comply with the advice etc but still large swathes of the populace choose to ignore it or are just to stupid to understand it, so I don't think Boris has any other choice. All other countries have gone into lock down of some  degree or other, USA california in total lock down, New York in lock down, now new Zealand are  the latest country to enforce it, just WTF are the government waiting for a huge surge in fatalities like Italy did then its to late, DO IT NOW BORIS FOR ALL OUR SAKES.
Britain's response has frankly been amateur, led by a what-me-worry- tyke who inspires his minions. While I applaud the liberal instincts of many towards authority, acknowledging that fact and acting in congress with it would have been more appropriate than to wait-and-see what's left of the herd.

Draconian measures in troubled times don't get retracted in normal times. The ludicrous suggestion of the army and shooting people is as much of an ignorance as waiting too long to employ reasonable measures to stop social mixing.
One of the reasons China, Taiwan and South Korea (once countries that may have been thought of as "Third World" or "Communist Nightmares") have done so well to get on top of this virus is because of vigorous testing and eary intervention and here we are a country which once "ruled the world" with one of the slowest and most carefree responses possible.

If we are still in "lock down" three months from now, right at the time of the year when people most like to be out and about, it will be all our faults. Especially the Government's softly softly catch monkey approach.

NB: Maybe China less so, certainly questionable, but Wuhan was completely shut down and has stopped seeing new cases.
(03-23-2020, 02:39 PM)HomersBelly Wrote: One of the reasons China, Taiwan and South Korea (once countries that may have been thought of as "Third World" or "Communist Nightmares") have done so well to get on top of this virus is because of vigorous testing and eary intervention and here we are a country which once "ruled the world" with one of the slowest and most carefree responses possible.

If we are still in "lock down" three months from now, right at the time of the year when people most like to be out and about, it will be all our faults. Especially the Government's softly softly catch monkey approach.

NB: Maybe China less so, certainly questionable, but Wuhan was completely shut down and has stopped seeing new cases.

Do you trust China in its figures. There are still new cases

The British Government are being advised by their Scientists & Health Experts. They arent doing this for political reasons.

South Korea isnt what you mentioned and at a push Taiwan
China blatantly lied about it's figures, lied to the WHO and was warned years ago that wet markets were likely to be vectors of infection.

China also threatened any doctors who whistleblew with imprisonment. They also welded infected people into their flats.

They are not a country to envy, on any level.