Drastic times drastic measures
This aged well.

[Image: ET95PTpX0AAzb4Q?format=jpg&name=900x900]
(03-26-2020, 01:49 PM)bradesbaggie Wrote: This aged well.

[Image: ET95PTpX0AAzb4Q?format=jpg&name=900x900]

A paper made by... and read by...
I'm no fan of Boris but I actually think he's done ok over this crisis. He's followd the advice given to him, he's not made stupid statements, look over the pond for that.
I would have preferred to see Boris be more open and show us the team he has assembled for advice and guidance - I'm sure he has more the just the few we have seen to date. This would give the public a boost to see he is actually using all the resource at his disposal. I also applaud Gordon Brown who has called for a "world team to be set up" - the third world countries will be absolutely devastated when this virus hits them, with little running water, poor sanitation and many sharing shacks they have no chance .
I for one can't see how we can physically help them atm. It's vital we help ourselves first on this occasion.
But we can set an example that hopefully they at least can learn from.
(03-21-2020, 01:01 PM)Protheroe Wrote:
(03-21-2020, 07:46 AM)Remi_Moses Wrote: My opinions "Assemble a task force now", Boris removed from office - it's plain to see he is out of his depth. The task force should be made up of senior MPs from parliament and the house of Lords. I would nominate David Cameron to be the voice. This is not a time for political differences.

So "plain to see he is out of his depth" that the Tories are at 52% in the polls and every poll is in favour of the government's response.

If your task force is MPs and peers that excludes David Cameron as he's neither.

Other than that...

Latest polling is 54% and 72% agree with the Government's response.

Another lesson for the online Left that their reality is not actual reality.
Of course the government is popular in a time of crisis - we are all pulling together to get through this. The government response is popular because it is using the state to cover over its privatisation mistakes (labour policies). Time will tell on the popularity of this government when everything washes out - lack of preparation, lack of prior funding, nepotism in issuing government contracts for supplies, and the inevitable increase in taxation at the end of all this. Add to that the usual suspects (EU and NHS) won't be available to take the blame any more and lets see where we stand and how far 3 word slogans will get them.
Even if labour had got in still coudnt trust them with the money ....a front bench of Corbyn, Abbott and McDonnell sorry they would be unelectable .
I agree entirely - possibly the least effective opposition and scary option we ever had. Hopefully we can move away from the reliance on private companies approach going forward, and realise that it takes a mix of properly funded public services and good solid private industry to make a good economy. This is showing that lack of funding of public services will bite you eventually and cost lives.
(03-30-2020, 02:05 PM)baggy1 Wrote: I agree entirely - possibly the least effective opposition and scary option we ever had. Hopefully we can move away from the reliance on private companies approach going forward, and realise that it takes a mix of properly funded public services and good solid private industry to make a good economy. This is showing that lack of funding of public services will bite you eventually and cost lives.

Exactly and something many of us including your good self have argued for years. I doubt very much in the long term these lessons will be learnt by the current government or those who support them like it’s a football team. Or for that matter by those on the hard left of politics either.