So where is the help for the self employed and renters?
Same here derek everyone on here has families to feed I hope everyone gets the help and I hope I don't need the 80% pay as I really hope I'm kept in work

Once again derek good luck
(03-21-2020, 01:42 PM)The liquidator Wrote:
(03-21-2020, 11:02 AM)baggy1 Wrote: The self employed one is simple - take their last 3 years tax returns and average out their profit figure - pay them 80% of that. If they've dodged tax by lowering or hiding their income or inflating their expenses then that's their problem and something to learn from in the future.

All of them fiddle the tax system who I work with that's why they are self employed

Yeah I shouldn't worry about self employed taxi drivers who in my experience pay about £200 a year tax on incomes over circa £60k - they should have plenty set aside to see them through - other self employed people maybe not so lucky!
(03-21-2020, 11:02 AM)baggy1 Wrote: The self employed one is simple - take their last 3 years tax returns and average out their profit figure - pay them 80% of that. If they've dodged tax by lowering or hiding their income or inflating their expenses then that's their problem and something to learn from in the future.

I think the self employed should get support but I do support this view. I know plenty of contractors who for years have exploited loopholes to pay as little tax as possible. To run cap in hand to the government asking fro 80% of their wage would be galling to say the least.
So despite all the nonsense by the usual suspects who can’t see past who the person posting is, the issue of the self employed is now a proper consideration for parliament not just Labour or Lib Dem’s but Conservative MPs etc. Hopefully something will now be done that is fair and as quick as possible. If it was up to some on here several million people would receive fuck all because they simply chose to work for themselves rather than a company.

(03-23-2020, 06:51 AM)chasetownbaggie Wrote:

I think the self employed should get support but I do support this view. I know plenty of contractors who for years have exploited loopholes to pay as little tax as possible. To run cap in hand to the government asking fro 80% of their wage would be galling to say the least.

But likewise there are freelancers I know who are barely getting by week after week. Not every freelancer is a tax dodger. I could point to quite a lot of companies with very dubious ways of working that are being supported by the government currently.
(03-24-2020, 02:13 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: So despite all the bullshit by the usual suspects who can’t see past who the person posting is, the issue of the self employed is now a proper consideration for parliament not just Labour or Lib Dem’s but Conservative MPs etc. Hopefully something will now be done that is fair and as quick as possible. If it was up to some on here several million people would receive fuck all because they simply chose to work for themselves rather than a company.

(03-23-2020, 06:51 AM)chasetownbaggie Wrote:

But likewise there are freelancers I know who are barely getting by week after week. Not every freelancer is a tax dodger. I could point to quite a lot of companies with very dubious ways of working that are being supported by the government currently.

I'm self-employed and pay my taxes in full (and a fair whack).  It's simpler that way as well as being morally and economically proper. I have also been an unpaid carer for my wife while running the business.  No stautory sick pay or holiday pay etc.   This is life.  I don't know how business will be in the next few months.  If difficult, I'd take my fair share available and have every entitlement to it.
Some measures announced today hopefully some of ye can avail of
Listened to all of that. Still have no idea how it will work.
From what I can see last 3 years tax returns get averaged out and 80% of the monthly profit gets paid over in June.
(03-26-2020, 05:58 PM)baggy1 Wrote: 80% of the monthly profit gets paid over in June.

Quite.
It would make more sense to make a uniform interim payment now (to the same cohort) and iron out the creases in due course. As the main issue is an immediate one.