So where is the help for the self employed and renters?
(03-19-2020, 12:40 PM)Protheroe Wrote:
(03-18-2020, 03:42 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: Working within the community, care workers, working in hospitality, freelance chef's, painters, decorators, construction staff, entertainers, child minders, many in the creative sector, window cleaners, gardeners, youth workers etc etc. Clients are not going to book most of these people and soon I suspect they won't be able to move freely as we shall be in lockdown to a lesser or greater extent. You talk nonsense to try and pretend that most freelancers, zero hour employee's have contracts that mean their clients have to pay even if they don't / can't do the work or that they can do their job via a laptop. The subject dominated Prime Ministers Questions so don't be so disingenuous to suggests this isn't something that needs addressing. 

I hope it will be and to be fair to the government and the opposition parties they seem to have acknowledged the problem and are working together (fingers crossed) to mean those people don't become victims of a situation completely out of their control.

You said "Most freelancers clients will not be paying them because they won’t know if they can."

For care workers and construction staff that's simply bollocks. For discretionary services - particularly personal services I'll admit you have a point, but that's always been the most precarious end of employment - and I don't consider a window cleaner or a gardener or an entertainer to be 'freelance' in the generally accepted sense of the word.

yes the huge majority of care workers are on contracts and will be needed more than  ever  - not less. I employ 30 staff in this sector and not one is losing their job!
(03-18-2020, 03:42 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: Working within the community, care workers, working in hospitality, freelance chef's, painters, decorators, construction staff, entertainers, child minders, many in the creative sector, window cleaners, gardeners, youth workers etc etc. Clients are not going to book most of these people and soon I suspect they won't be able to move freely as we shall be in lockdown to a lesser or greater extent. You talk nonsense to try and pretend that most freelancers, zero hour employee's have contracts that mean their clients have to pay even if they don't / can't do the work or that they can do their job via a laptop. The subject dominated Prime Ministers Questions so don't be so disingenuous to suggests this isn't something that needs addressing. 

I hope it will be and to be fair to the government and the opposition parties they seem to have acknowledged the problem and are working together (fingers crossed) to mean those people don't become victims of a situation completely out of their control.

You said "Most freelancers clients will not be paying them because they won’t know if they can."

For care workers and construction staff that's simply bollocks. For discretionary services - particularly personal services I'll admit you have a point, but that's always been the most precarious end of employment - and I don't consider a window cleaner or a gardener or an entertainer to be 'freelance' in the generally accepted sense of the word.

Why is trying to prove that freelancers at a time like this ffs don't need proper financial support just like business's or those in employment? If this isn't what you're trying to do then what is your point? Also the idea sole traders such as plasterers and the like all have contracts guaranteeing them jobs, payment without doing the job is doubtful. Splitting hairs and churlish bollocks.

(03-19-2020, 01:35 PM)FenlandBoing Wrote:

yes the huge majority of care workers are on contracts and will be needed more than  ever  - not less. I employ 30 staff in this sector and not one is losing their job!

This may be true, but those that aren't still need the financial security afforded to them that business's have been given to some extent all be via loans and other measures. They will be needed no doubt but if I was a carer I would be thinking twice for the sake of my family if I could take the risk to be public facing at this time without top notch protective gear as we move forward into the most dangerous few months (hopefully not that bad) of the pandemic.
(03-19-2020, 01:51 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: Why is trying to prove that freelancers at a time like this ffs don't need proper financial support just like business's or those in employment? If this isn't what you're trying to do then what is your point? Also the idea sole traders such as plasterers and the like all have contracts guaranteeing them jobs, payment without doing the job is doubtful. Splitting hairs and churlish bollocks.

You said "most" - that is clearly bollocks. Ask Rowley how many construction sites have closed.
(03-20-2020, 10:52 AM)Protheroe Wrote:
(03-19-2020, 01:51 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: Why is trying to prove that freelancers at a time like this ffs don't need proper financial support just like business's or those in employment? If this isn't what you're trying to do then what is your point? Also the idea sole traders such as plasterers and the like all have contracts guaranteeing them jobs, payment without doing the job is doubtful. Splitting hairs and churlish bollocks.

You said "most" - that is clearly bollocks. Ask Rowley how many construction sites have closed.

You are still splitting hairs ffs! Those who are self employed need proper (liveable) financial support just as much as anyone else be they a photographer or plasterer. So far this hasn't been addressed. It's getting critical now and I hope that the government announces proper packages that support all of us properly and particularly those that are the most vulnerable. Whether I like or dislike the current government is irrelevant now, we all have to put our trust in them to get this right.
The Chancellor could announce everyone goes rent-free for 10 years with NHS staff for a lifetime and idiots like Derek would be whining that he hasn't bought them a free house.
(03-20-2020, 11:08 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:

You are still splitting hairs ffs! Those who are self employed need proper (liveable) financial support just as much as anyone else be they a photographer or plasterer. So far this hasn't been addressed. It's getting critical now and I hope that the government announces proper packages that support all of us properly and particularly those that are the most vulnerable. Whether I like or dislike the current government is irrelevant now, we all have to put our trust in them to get this right.

I'm self employed, I've just got off the phone to my mate who's self employed and was on a conference call with over 200 colleagues from across Europe who are self employed this morning.

My core business is likely to pay me less through this carnage than it might otherwise do. It's not the State's role to suggest I get one of the thousands of temporary jobs at Tesco or Morrisons - I can do it myself. I don't need or want financial support but I suspect we'll soon end up in a sitiuation where we're all getting helicopter money one way or another.

I'm not sure where you think all this money is coming from now or in the future. Individuals need to do what they can first, the State is and ought to be the last resort.
(03-20-2020, 02:16 PM)Protheroe Wrote:
(03-20-2020, 11:08 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:

I'm self employed, I've just got off the phone to my mate who's self employed and was on a conference call with over 200 colleagues from across Europe who are self employed this morning.

My core business is likely to pay me less through this carnage than it might otherwise do. It's not the State's role to suggest I get one of the thousands of temporary jobs at Tesco or Morrisons - I can do it myself. I don't need or want financial support but I suspect we'll soon end up in a sitiuation where we're all getting helicopter money one way or another.

I'm not sure where you think all this money is coming from now or in the future. Individuals need to do what they can first, the State is and ought to be the last resort.

Let’s agree to disagree. 

(03-20-2020, 02:05 PM)Neil Parsley Wrote: The Chancellor could announce everyone goes rent-free for 10 years with NHS staff for a lifetime and idiots like Derek would be whining that he hasn't bought them a free house.

No I wouldn’t. If it makes you feel better to insult me go for it.
Self employed shafted by the current measures. What’s the difference between giving those employed 80% of their income but self employed get universal credit?
Derek these are life choices that the self employed have chosen to do so they can make financial decisions that suits them . I was self employed and it did have benefits with me demanding a higher wage ......I went down the route that I'm on less money but more stability .....I know blokes who are on zero hour contracts who are on £200 to £280 quid a day ....now they are bleating that if they get laid off they are getting no help .....they made the choice to demand a higher wage ......I really feel sorry for the blokes who are on minimum wage I'm sure they will get help ....not everyone are going to be happy it's a impossible task .
(03-21-2020, 09:27 AM)The liquidator Wrote: Derek these are life choices that the self employed have chosen to do so they can make financial decisions that suits them .  I was self employed and it did have benefits with me demanding a higher wage ......I went down the route that I'm on less money but more stability .....I know blokes who are on zero hour contracts who are on £200 to £280 quid a day ....now they are bleating that if they get laid off they are getting no help .....they made the choice to demand a higher wage ......I really feel sorry for the blokes who are on minimum wage I'm sure they will get help  ....not everyone are going to be happy it's a impossible task .

Interesting to see who the biggest advocates / apologists for throwing millions of low paid freelancers and gig economy workers under the financial bus are. How is it fair that the government can offer proper financial support to those who work for companies of all sizes but not those who don’t but still pay tax, work just as hard and in the good time’s with less security? 

Following this nonsensical logic If you work for a company that can’t survive this, those are the risk you take in an unprecedented pandemic and you should only get universal discredit.

I suspect I know the motivation of the governments lack of proportionate help but perhaps that’s for another day.

I hope that government rethinks it’s stance and I’m forced to suffer the same posters indignation I should have even brought the subject up.