Labour Party loses the election but wins the argument
Problem with your analogy is that it was all self imposed by the conservatives and now trying to be fixed by the conservatives. If Boris would come out and say ‘we fucked up, I’m going to try and fix it’ he would get my respect, but he won’t and he’ll say it was needed and he’ll deny that it did any damage.
(03-13-2020, 02:18 PM)JOK Wrote:
(03-13-2020, 01:17 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(03-12-2020, 11:05 PM)JOK Wrote:
(03-12-2020, 09:15 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(03-12-2020, 07:41 PM)JOK Wrote: And exactly what you would have greeted  with deathly silence!

Mystic Mogg has spoken!
As per usual, when totally stymied and have no answer, your response is to post meaningless drivel!

Strange to tie me with the epithet “mystic” as, since 2016, you have revelled in the terms: ‘predicted’, ‘estimated’, ‘possibly’, ‘it’s believed’, ‘potentially’, ‘assumed’ and prefer to give equal weight to anecdotal  evidence with empirical evidence.

You’re going to have to show me where I have posted threads praising Labour under Corbyn or being overly complimentary of their policies. The fact austerity achieved fuck all but misery to those who could least afford it and had least influence over the causes of it. What’s the end result? A sluggish to flatlining economy before the Coronavirus and an admittance the government has to spend on all the areas it neglected and cut to the bone. It’s a decent budget but it only looks to address the problems austerity created in the first place. The argument about fiscal prudence is now null and void.

You’re going to have to show me where I have said you have. Though, if I recall, they were your ‘least worst’ tactical vote in the last G.E.  I simply like to point out your constant negative biased bile against one lot but never enlighten us as to who you think is a better option. 
Dek, I know you openly admit your negative biases and hatred for the Cons. and your enthusiastic and repetitive love of imparting it to us. I accept you wish to do so. I just ask you accept my predilection to call you out and add balance. (A common trait, I’m afraid, of a student of history.)
 Nearly dropped my cork leg at your “decent budget “ comment.  [Image: wink.png] 
I have tried to think of a decent analogy for the “only addresses the problems” comment. Sorry, the best I can come up with is; if you break a leg the only thing you can do is, when the plaster comes off, to strengthen the muscles in that leg again. (Laboured, I know. Cameron was the break, May, the plaster and we can only hope, Boris the weight training) [Corbyn or Swanson would have been like contracting MRSA]

JOK my dislike of the Conservative’s was not something I just woke up and decided that was the political route I wanted to take, it wasn’t down to my family who are not political or my friends and colleagues. My dislike is solely down to their actions as a party over the last decade. The list of reasons is rather long and in most cases experienced first or second hand by myself. I don’t and can’t be politically neutral given it’s the Tories who are and have been in power for more than ten years. They can’t wipe the slate clean.
(03-13-2020, 02:22 PM)baggy1 Wrote: Problem with your analogy is that it was all self imposed by the conservatives and now trying to be fixed by the conservatives. If Boris would come out and say ‘we fucked up, I’m going to try and fix it’ he would get my respect, but he won’t and he’ll say it was needed and he’ll deny that it did any damage.
Many could argue the the break was as a result of a trip hazard left by Blair/Brown.

I’m wracking my brain to think of a government or party that has owned a mistake, perceived or actual, that they or predecessors have made. (Mind, I’m not a student of politics) The only instance I can recall, if my old befuddled brain recalls correctly) is Corbyn saying the NHS should be bailed out of the PFI mess instigated by the Blair government. Though he wasn’t even leader of the party at that time.
I think the “needed” or not  is a  different  debate.
I don’t disagree about the needed but I do disagree about the speed that the tories tried to fix it in and that being a mask for their small state mandate.