Polands complete overreaction to the Coronavirus
(03-13-2020, 09:57 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: If the government have this wrong and think they can hide behind the experts it will spectacularly backfire in my opinion.

The government are taking advice from experts which I think is what most would prefer.

Some people would try to exploit this for political capital and hope it goes wrong, but there are always some like that and we will see them hurling from the ditch.   

I expect different experts are saying different things as ever, let's hope the government are listening to the right experts. 
I imagine after this ends no one will be certain who got this right and they'll be arguments about it, and as always we won't know what would have happened for better or worse if another course had been taken, as that is impossible. 

Events like these bring out the best in some and the worst in others. 
Here's wishing success to the government and their expert advisers.
(03-13-2020, 10:03 PM)Fulham Fallout Wrote:
(03-13-2020, 09:57 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: If the government have this wrong and think they can hide behind the experts it will spectacularly backfire in my opinion.

Someone on here questioned yesterday why footballers seem to be prone to catch the virus?  I think the answer is that they are famous where as Teltley74 isn’t famous and so he won’t make headlines.  In other words, a lot more people have it in this country than is being reported.

It is being reported but people are choosing not to listen and create their own bullshit agenda. The Chief medical officer said yesterday he thinks more than 10,000 have the virus in this country. He said it at least twice on national TV and national radio that I heard.
Jeez the people calling out the snowflakes turn out to be the snowflakes. It's not a shock guys is it?
(03-13-2020, 08:41 PM)FenlandBoing Wrote:
(03-13-2020, 07:15 PM)SausEggBaton Wrote: Just an update live from here, Poland has gone a bit mental and I'm glad I'm leaving tonight. They are shutting the bars, restaurants, pubs, coffee shops etc.. for 10 days from Sunday. They have also closed their borders and will deny all incoming flights from Sunday. Only internal flights allowed. It's unbelievable Jeff!

Is that all incoming flights even from the UK to Poland?

Yes so the president / prime minister said on live TV, I had the barmaid translate for me.
(03-13-2020, 10:15 PM)Pickle Rick Wrote:

The government are taking advice from experts which I think is what most would prefer.

Some people would try to exploit this for political capital and hope it goes wrong, but there are always some like that and we will see them hurling from the ditch.   

I expect different experts are saying different things as ever, let's hope the government are listening to the right experts. 
I imagine after this ends no one will be certain who got this right and they'll be arguments about it, and as always we won't know what would have happened for better or worse if another course had been taken, as that is impossible. 

Events like these bring out the best in some and the worst in others. 
Here's wishing success to the government and their expert advisers.

No one wants the advice to be wrong least of all me who has very personal reasons for wanting our experts to be right. I have some sympathy with those dealing politically with the predicament we are in as a country and wouldn’t want to be calling the shots on this. The trouble is almost every other countries experts are acting in a different manner to us so questions will be asked if they prove to be incorrect. The wish to be in power comes with great responsibilities and as much as you should defer to the experts you also have to be ultimately responsible as a government.
(03-13-2020, 09:38 PM)Swagbaggie Wrote:
(03-13-2020, 09:10 PM)HeathAyIt Wrote:
(03-10-2020, 07:55 PM)JOK Wrote:
(03-10-2020, 05:23 PM)HeathAyIt Wrote:
(03-10-2020, 05:14 PM)SausEggBaton Wrote: They shut the schools, they've shut the universities, they've banned flights from Italy and China, and they have banned public gatherings (concerts etc.) of over 500 people.

Little extreme I thought considering they've only had 30 cases in total country wide.

Or decisive while Boris and his chums dither when we all know exactly what's coming.

When you say dithering, do you mean following the advice of the Chief Medical Officer and The Chief Scientific Officer. Careful, there are one or two on here who believe religiously in experts.

Have you got enough toilet rolls by the way?
Well theres a few on here looking like a bit of a twat aint there

More than a few. The 'Oh they are all Snowflakes brigade'  were always talking shit and now look the fucking idiots most of us knew they were.
There never was a need to panic - there still isn't - but the recklessly stupid posts by some will come back to haunt them.
Exactly right. The usual suspects whose egos will mean they still wont have the capacity to process the reality of it all.
(03-13-2020, 10:03 PM)Fulham Fallout Wrote:

Someone on here questioned yesterday why footballers seem to be prone to catch the virus?  I think the answer is that they are famous where as Teltley74 isn’t famous and so he won’t make headlines.  In other words, a lot more people have it in this country than is being reported.

Ha ha now I'm famous thanks bud cheered me up no end Big Grin
(03-13-2020, 11:45 PM)SausEggBaton Wrote:
(03-13-2020, 08:41 PM)FenlandBoing Wrote:
(03-13-2020, 07:15 PM)SausEggBaton Wrote: Just an update live from here, Poland has gone a bit mental and I'm glad I'm leaving tonight. They are shutting the bars, restaurants, pubs, coffee shops etc.. for 10 days from Sunday. They have also closed their borders and will deny all incoming flights from Sunday. Only internal flights allowed. It's unbelievable Jeff!

Is that all incoming flights even from the UK to Poland?

Yes so the president / prime minister said on live TV, I had the barmaid translate for me.

At some point you will have to release her
(03-14-2020, 09:58 AM)HeathAyIt Wrote:
(03-10-2020, 07:55 PM)JOK Wrote:
(03-10-2020, 05:23 PM)HeathAyIt Wrote: Or decisive while Boris and his chums dither when we all know exactly what's coming.

When you say dithering, do you mean following the advice of the Chief Medical Officer and The Chief Scientific Officer. Careful, there are one or two on here who believe religiously in experts.

More than a few. The 'Oh they are all Snowflakes brigade'  were always talking shit and now look the fucking idiots most of us knew they were.
There never was a need to panic - there still isn't - but the recklessly stupid posts by some will come back to haunt them.
Exactly right. The usual suspects whose egos will mean they still wont have the capacity to process the reality of it all.

So, do we listen to the experts and act on their considered advice or ignore them and plough in any old how? If the later, why bother consulting those with more of a handle on things?

(03-14-2020, 08:34 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(03-13-2020, 10:15 PM)Pickle Rick Wrote:

No one wants the advice to be wrong least of all me who has very personal reasons for wanting our experts to be right. I have some sympathy with those dealing politically with the predicament we are in as a country and wouldn’t want to be calling the shots on this. The trouble is almost every other countries experts are acting in a different manner to us so questions will be asked if they prove to be incorrect. The wish to be in power comes with great responsibilities and as much as you should defer to the experts you also have to be ultimately responsible as a government.
You are ‘Running with the foxes and jumping with the hounds’ still. Which should it be Dekka, listen to experts and act on their informed advice or disregard it?  You contradict yourself in one sentence. For someone who constantly bleats on about the government NOT listening to experts you seem a bit wishy washy on this topic. I suspect you are leaving yourself an opening to berate the government whatever the outcome.
Please just say; the government should follow expert opinions or the government should take far more extreme measures than the experts suggest is required at any given time.
(03-14-2020, 11:52 AM)JOK Wrote:
(03-14-2020, 09:58 AM)HeathAyIt Wrote:
(03-10-2020, 07:55 PM)JOK Wrote: When you say dithering, do you mean following the advice of the Chief Medical Officer and The Chief Scientific Officer. Careful, there are one or two on here who believe religiously in experts.

So, do we listen to the experts and act on their considered advice or ignore them and plough in any old how? If the later, why bother consulting those with more of a handle on things?
Friday: No ban on mass gatherings

Population: Cancel events

Saturday: Titanic u-turn

Why? A govt more concerned with economics. A Chief Medical adviser who thinks everything he has seen in a lab will translate perfectly into a chaotic postmodern society based on individualism.

Theyll end up following rather than leading on schools as well, when they inevitably cant function as staff and/or students have the virus here there and everywhere.
Bang on Heath.

Do posters on this board not think other Governments who have closed schools and borders etc don’t have experts to advise them??????????