Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Graham Taylor
(09-14-2017, 08:17 AM)Montserratbaggie Wrote:
(09-14-2017, 06:23 AM)Sw4Baggie Wrote: Understand the victim's need for closure, but it happened 30years ago, when attitudes were different, and has conveniently come out when's Taylor's no longer around to defend himself.

It's an awful story, but what's the point in sensationalising it.

Who thought it was OK to sexually abuse kids in 1987? It was wrong then, it's wrong now.

Who said that? 

Graham Taylor hasnt been accused of sexually abusing anyone. He's being accused of telling a kid not to go to public about it due to the abuse he'd get from every set of opposition fans.

Villa to their credit appear to have dealt with and got rid of the staff in question, at a time when many clubs didn't act on allegations. Unless I've misread the story, there's nothing in there to say GT said it was acceptable behaviour...
(09-14-2017, 09:59 AM)Sw4Baggie Wrote:
(09-14-2017, 06:23 AM)Sw4Baggie Wrote: Understand the victim's need for closure, but it happened 30years ago, when attitudes were different, and has conveniently come out when's Taylor's no longer around to defend himself.

Who thought it was OK to sexually abuse kids in 1987? It was wrong then, it's wrong now.

Who said that? 

Graham Taylor hasnt been accused of sexually abusing anyone. He's being accused of telling a kid not to go to public about it due to the abuse he'd get from every set of opposition fans.

Villa to their credit appear to have dealt with and got rid of the staff in question, at a time when many clubs didn't act on allegations. Unless I've misread the story, there's nothing in there to say GT said it was acceptable behaviour...

He had a care of duty to report it not hide it like it was their fault .
(09-14-2017, 10:01 AM)Big Cyrille Wrote:
(09-14-2017, 09:59 AM)Sw4Baggie Wrote:

Who said that? 

He had a care of duty to report it not hide it like it was their fault .

Does it say he didn't report it?
My understanding is that Villa encouraged the kid to sweep it under the carpet, much like any other institution would have around that time so it's not really fair to single them out.
I thought part of this story though was that the person in question was still working as a representative of the club 2 yrs after they were told about him.
The Taylor angle definitely has a whiff of Leon Britton about it, very easy to make allegations against those who can no longer defend themselves

(09-14-2017, 11:46 AM)King Astle Wrote: My understanding is that Villa encouraged the kid to sweep it under the carpet, much like any other institution would have around that time so it's not really fair to single them out.
I thought part of this story though was that the person in question was still working as a representative of the club 2 yrs after they were told about him.
The Taylor angle definitely has a whiff of Leon Britton about it, very easy to make allegations against those who can no longer defend themselves

This about nails it.
Trying to use the sensibilities of today to what life was like in the mid 80s is ridiculous.
Implicating Taylor like this is really in bad taste and must be upsetting for his family.
For Christ`s sake give it a rest and stay nutural. None of us know what went on during the eighties at Vile park or any other place it happened , let`s leave it to those people in authority to find out what went on instead of coming on a forum and spouting on about something non of us know nothing about.
I've just read the article in the Guardian and the whole of Taylor's involvement. His advice to the lad about keeping a lid on it as it'd affect his career was probably right. He should have done more though, but there was a naivety then. Taylor running a football club probably had a million things on his mind and it was a case of brushing it under the carpet, but that was the culture then.
I saw blokes pinch girls arses or squeeze their tits in my early days at work, as well as say all manner of lurid stuff that would get them sacked now. I have to be honest and say although I saw sex abuse, as it is in 2017, I don't recall either the perpetrators or victims now.
Am I wrong for not having reported this? No. It would have been ignored and I would have been thought of as mad.
Times change, culture changes and although I feel terrible for anyone who had to contend with these pervs, implicating Taylor when many others were involved, and doing it in such a black and white way seems wrong in light of his recent passing. Too few see past the headlines now in an era of short attention, and the poor man's family doesn't deserve this.