Second tier cancelled as well as first
I'm surprised that none of the media outlets of picked up on this - or perhaps they have and don't want to publish it so no to panic people.

The government's worst case scenario is that 80% of the population will catch this virus

According to the WHO the mortality rate is 3.4%

3.4% of 80% of our population is in the region of 1.9 million people

Yes, this is worst case scenario, but **** me, that is, potentially, a lot of 'dead uns'
(03-07-2020, 09:26 AM)HawkingsHalfpint Wrote:
(03-07-2020, 08:58 AM)baggiebloke Wrote: It feels like we're in a dry run of the eventuality of a far more serious virus.

Mate of mine said the same and I kinda believe him. Everything from PHE is very measured very sanguine but very concise. Considering that, statistically, 1% of us posters will pass away* from corona, which is a pretty morbid though; the press and the newscasters have obviously been warned against oversensationalism.  Might not be too much untruth in this all being a big covert dress rehearsal, he reckons. 

That said he is the sort that will have empty coat hangers in his loft. Not hanging up or anything, just in an old refuse bag from like Wilko or somewhere, if they even exist anymore. And it’s THAT what kills more than Corona. 

While all these old people who are gonna die soon anyway quite selflessly give our welfare system a badly needed respite after a mild-ish winter, won’t somebody think of the high street? In fact, when they develop a vaccine or cure, it should only be made available on the high street. Two problems one stone. 

And no one has heard my idea of reusing reanimated corpses to build the second tier. Happens all the time in China. It’s called taking advantage of the Lai of the land. 

* I’m bored. It may as well take me (I an better at English than most of you so I won’t mess up the entry form into heaven, and some of these pathogens can be pretty tricky to spell. On second thoughts it can take Hudd’s.

Yay Hawkings!  Big Grin
(03-07-2020, 10:25 AM)spudgun Wrote: I'm surprised that none of the media outlets of picked up on this - or perhaps they have and don't want to publish it so no to panic people.

The government's worst case scenario is that 80% of the population will catch this virus

According to the WHO the mortality rate is 3.4%

3.4% of 80% of our population is in the region of 1.9 million people

Yes, this is worst case scenario, but **** me, that is, potentially, a lot of 'dead uns'

Dr Ted of the WHO spoke about 3.4% but 1% is deemed more accurate.

But in reality who fucking knows? 

Too early to be accurate.

I regularly visit care homes for the elderly who can't care for themselves and if it got into them it would be a truly dreadful situation.
(03-07-2020, 10:10 AM)Fulham Fallout Wrote:
(03-07-2020, 10:04 AM)Spandaubaggie Wrote:
(03-07-2020, 08:58 AM)baggiebloke Wrote: It feels like we're in a dry run of the eventuality of a far more serious virus.

Mate of mine said the same and I kinda believe him. Everything from PHE is very measured very sanguine but very concise. Considering that, statistically, 1% of us posters will pass away* from corona, which is a pretty morbid though; the press and the newscasters have obviously been warned against oversensationalism.  Might not be too much untruth in this all being a big covert dress rehearsal, he reckons. 

That said he is the sort that will have empty coat hangers in his loft. Not hanging up or anything, just in an old refuse bag from like Wilko or somewhere, if they even exist anymore. And it’s THAT what kills more than Corona. 

While all these old people who are gonna die soon anyway quite selflessly give our welfare system a badly needed respite after a mild-ish winter, won’t somebody think of the high street? In fact, when they develop a vaccine or cure, it should only be made available on the high street. Two problems one stone. 

And no one has heard my idea of reusing reanimated corpses to build the second tier. Happens all the time in China. It’s called taking advantage of the Lai of the land. 

* I’m bored. It may as well take me (I an better at English than most of you so I won’t mess up the entry form into heaven, and some of these pathogens can be pretty tricky to spell. On second thoughts it can take Hudd’s.
The level of over sensation by the likes of the tabloids is off the scale. 
Bad news sells. Fear sells. Two seats together sells. That’s what you are taught at journalism college.

Edited for you. No need to thank me Big Grin
I think the whole coronavirus thing is to encourage the sale of armchairs and Sky. It’s a conspiracy I’m tellin ya!
On Thursday, the devastating news broke of the first case of the virus in Cornwall, so obviously the Tamar bridge and A30 have been shut, so anyone thinking of visiting in the next few months will have to think again.
All sheep and cows have been given face masks and I have already got plans in place to escape for games.
That there is such thing as a journalist college is more startling to me than the prospect of a global pandemic. WTF??

I thought publishers just took them from the wild but obviously not. I mean what goes on there? ‘Today, class, we’re gonna learn how not to deal in fact. Fact isn’t all that. Most of it is <picks up chalk> WIDE ...OF... THE... MARK. You remember that, class, it’ll come in handy someday. Seriously, write it down now, and remember it. That there is your GOOJF card and it be used any time. But don’t overdo it or you’ll appear a know-it-all chump on football messageboards. And DO not share it with BAWS. And, Chris, for the love of Christ will you please remove that crayola out of your nose. It’s last known whereabouts was James Percy’s cocoa valve. You don’t want that up there. Or perhaps maybe you do. Oh.’
What is happening now is NORMAL; we've lived in a golden age*: a brief, secure interregnum between war and pestilence. Remember that when this is over.

* There are exceptions, such as the plight of the environment, the status of non Europeans since 1500, and Villa's fluky promotion in 2019.
Two things I have learned, since the virus broke, firstly nobody washed their hands before and now have to be taught how to do it and now I discover, nobody wiped their bloody arse's either.
If nothing has happened to me all this time surrounded by all these dirty bastards, no virus is going to touch me
(03-07-2020, 12:03 PM)Pickle Rick Wrote: I think the response has been fairly proportional in the UK given the number of cases, and likewise in Italy where they have nearly 200 dead already so have done more. Probably 1% mortality in some places and higher in others but WHO knows best I guess. Panic buying is daft but that's just some folk and not a policy. We don't want to leap to stats like Italy has so the containment and a cautious response seems reasonable. Stopping transport like flights may be a good idea but as has been pointed out the economic and social consequences of that could be huge so it's getting the balance right. If the spread takes off here I think we'll see more curtailment of movements and events but hopefully in a couple of months new cases will decline  (as in China I think) plus viruses don't tend to do as well in the summer.... so it may not yet be a valid excuse for lack of activity in the transfer window.

There is some doubt that new case figures for China are declining. The regime have a yooge vested interest in trying to look like  they know what they are doing.

Fug ypou Whorekins.  You are the kind of juvenile snideyfugpig who fugs about with the tuning of my harpsichord and hides my antimacassars.  Don't think that just because I have a few grey hairs I am not compos mentis, whetever that means.