Coronavirus Match Cancellations
Fanny has spoken...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51673076
Earths current population growth is not sustainable. Might be a controversial view, but a major event to check that growth may not be such a bad thing in the long run.
Without being controversial, there is a power far greater than us. It’s not some religious thing, it’s called nature and you could in many cases, if so inclined, call it God. Simply the universe was around billions of years ago and we are just like fleas on a dogs back. When the planet is sick of our presence it will freeze us flood up burn us or find a disease to fuck us off. Save the Earth my ass. The earth will be fine. It’s just us that’ll be gone.
(02-28-2020, 09:16 PM)Pickle Rick Wrote:
(02-28-2020, 05:47 PM)Cunninghamismagic Wrote:
(02-28-2020, 05:15 PM)tiptontown Wrote:
(02-28-2020, 04:32 PM)HugeHons Wrote: Is this dominating a lot of news because there isn’t much going on except for flooding? Hundreds die every year in the UK from the flu virus but it is rarely, if ever,reported.There was around 13,000 reported deaths in 2008 in the UK.
And why has Boris disappeared?

Got to be honest I'm little baffled by it all. The death rate appears to be relatively low at the moment. 
Reading on the BBC news site, 250,000 - 650,000 people die each year from influenza worldwide.
I can understand the need to learn more about the virus and keeping it relatively contained. Just seems the coverage of it all is little excessive at the moment.

I agree. Seems to be a common theme now to go OTT though.
Hope it is OTT but not knowing means take precautions. The mortality rate in China was 2% and may be only 0.5% here, similar to the Spanish flu which only affected 0.5% but killed tens of thousands because it was so contagious. If something had 100% mortality rate but wasn't contagious at all it would be better. I don't think people are sure yet quite how contagious this is so best be careful. If 10% of people in 60 million in UK got it with 0.5% mortality rate that is 30,000 deaths if my maths is right. Best avoid the risk if we can, and also stagger the impact on health services by slowing the spread with precautions.

Spanish Flu was accredited to have killed well in excess of 50,000,000 (yes, fifty million) people worldwide in about two years. Scholars now believe that's a very conservative estimate. As for the name it's something of a misnomer given it's believed to have sprung up in America and spread in the trenches of the western front before soldiers returned with the virus. Countries at war were subject to media restrictions, hence why the deaths in neutral Spain were widely reported and the virus took the name Spanish Flu. Or something like that from memory.
Well your a bundle of joy.
(02-28-2020, 09:36 PM)Spandaubaggie Wrote: Without being controversial, there is a power far greater than us. It’s not some religious thing, it’s called nature and you could in many cases, if so inclined, call it God. Simply the universe was around billions of years ago and we are just like fleas on a dogs back. When the planet is sick of our presence it will freeze us flood up burn us or find a disease to fuck us off. Save the Earth my ass. The earth will be fine. It’s just us that’ll be gone.

This^

For the less reasoned, knee-jerk reactionaries out there.
(02-28-2020, 05:15 PM)tiptontown Wrote:
(02-28-2020, 04:32 PM)HugeHons Wrote: Is this dominating a lot of news because there isn’t much going on except for flooding? Hundreds die every year in the UK from the flu virus but it is rarely, if ever,reported.There was around 13,000 reported deaths in 2008 in the UK.
And why has Boris disappeared?

Got to be honest I'm little baffled by it all. The death rate appears to be relatively low at the moment. 
Reading on the BBC news site, 250,000 - 650,000 people die each year from influenza worldwide.
I can understand the need to learn more about the virus and keeping it relatively contained. Just seems the coverage of it all is little excessive at the moment.

Its the rate of growth that far outstrips anything seen before.  Just a matter of time unless serious containment occurs.
(02-28-2020, 09:29 PM)Boutros Wrote: Earths current population growth is not sustainable. Might be a controversial view, but a major event to check that growth may not be such a bad thing in the long run.

Hopefully, it won't by your family, otherwise you're going to feel a bit shitty when you remember you wrote this!

Following this logic, we may as well all go on a killing spree or start a random war. All in the interests of checking growth, of course. Our victims will understand it may not be such a bad thing in the long run....
For those actually affected a lot by the coronavirus (I won't go into details) it's actually quite overwhelming (in a bad way) about people's flippance towards it. For myself it's the first time ever that something so (close to a) pandemic has affected myself and those close around me to a substancial degree so remarkably feel both attuned and accustomed to these jokes. Man vs clouds absolutely (before you mention it Duffers - I love the Simpsons too [won a Simpsons competition last night]) but I will say that this isn't something we should be taking lightly until it's acknowledged in its entirity - my main blame goes to the Chinese authorities which I shouldn't be doing but even today, they are covering up their own problems at the expense of others. There's plenty unfounded that should mean everyone should be on their guard...washing hands thoroughly and frequently is the best and safest thing you can do.
(02-29-2020, 05:20 AM)fuzzbox Wrote:
(02-28-2020, 09:29 PM)Boutros Wrote: Earths current population growth is not sustainable. Might be a controversial view, but a major event to check that growth may not be such a bad thing in the long run.

Hopefully, it won't by your family, otherwise you're going to feel a bit shitty when you remember you wrote this!

Following this logic, we may as well all go on a killing spree or start a random war. All in the interests of checking growth, of course. Our victims will understand it may not be such a bad thing in the long run....

Calm down snowflake