Intersting thing about Gayles ban
Will we ever see a player refuse a penalty for fear of a ban, I think I know the answer unless their team was comfortably in front.
I think it's simple. Don't dive.
(02-15-2019, 12:28 PM)Arti Wrote: I think it's simple. Don't dive.

Indeed, there's some really biased support of Gayle this week.

I can't believe I've read so many times "there's others who go unpunished". Of course there is. People get away with loads of things in football, but it doesn't mean you don't punish those who do get caught. Same as the law of the land, a defence for a burglar saying someone else burgled somehere and they got away with it, isn't much of a defence.

He dived, tough shit for him and us that it was so blatant and on telly.
(02-15-2019, 01:15 PM)backsidebaggie Wrote:

I can't believe I've read so many times "there's others who go unpunished". Of course there is. People get away with loads of things in football, but it doesn't mean you don't punish those who do get caught. Same as the law of the land, a defence for a burglar saying someone else burgled somehere and they got away with it, isn't much of a defence.

The point is there's been many times players have been seen to dive to earn a penalty, all on TV, but no punishment. All people are saying it should be for all, not when it's convenient for the FA. We all want to see diving/simulation out of the game without any preferential treatment.

The difference is that everyone can see all the various dives that have happened, so why have they chosen this particular instance to punish?  It’s not a case of the other people not getting caught, they’ve been explicitly ignored. 

I’m happy for all divers to get banned, I’m not happy to see the odd player singled out for it when much more high profile players are consistently doing it and consistently getting away with it.
(02-15-2019, 01:27 PM)CA Baggie Wrote:

The difference is that everyone can see all the various dives that have happened, so why have they chosen this particular instance to punish?  It’s not a case of the other people not getting caught, they’ve been explicitly ignored. 

I’m happy for all divers to get banned, I’m not happy to see the odd player singled out for it when much more high profile players are consistently doing it and consistently getting away with it.

Agreed. Put across better than I did.
(02-15-2019, 01:27 PM)CA Baggie Wrote:

It’s because it was so blatant, and evidence overwhelming. That’s even the wording of the rule. I got no sympathy for Gayle or us, it’s tough shit.
Ha, we used to call this sort of thing 'Shawcross' law', where a rule would be brought in but they'd only penalise one player despite everyman and his dog getting away with the same offence for years with no sanction. 

Afterwards, the rule would be immediately dropped and everyone would carry on as usual apart from the one person they'd spacegoated who knew he'd forever be watched and penalised if he did it again.
(02-15-2019, 02:00 PM)Dreamkiller Wrote: Ha, we used to call this sort of thing 'Shawcross' law', where a rule would be brought in but they'd only penalise one player despite everyman and his dog getting away with the same offence for years with no sanction. 

Afterwards, the rule would be immediately dropped and everyone would carry on as usual apart from the one person they'd spacegoated who knew he'd forever be watched and penalised if he did it again.

Despite obviously not watching Stoke closely, I always thought Shawcross was targeted a disproportionately large amount for things that others also did relatively regularly.

On the other end of the spectrum back when Ashley Williams was at Swansea (ironically now at Stoke) there was no dirtier player in the league, but it never seemed to be discussed.
(02-15-2019, 02:21 PM)Sliced Wrote:
(02-15-2019, 02:00 PM)Dreamkiller Wrote: Ha, we used to call this sort of thing 'Shawcross' law', where a rule would be brought in but they'd only penalise one player despite everyman and his dog getting away with the same offence for years with no sanction. 

Despite obviously not watching Stoke closely, I always thought Shawcross was targeted a disproportionately large amount for things that others also did relatively regularly.

On the other end of the spectrum back when Ashley Williams was at Swansea (ironically now at Stoke) there was no dirtier player in the league, but it never seemed to be discussed.

There was always a theory that Wenger had a fair amount of influence over the London media in particular and following the Ramsey incident, there was a massive focus on every minor misdemeanour he carried out. 

The media hounded him. The Daily Mail even had a regular weekly column for a while where they'd go over everything he'd done wrong during the previous game. They loved it when he fucked up on his England debut.