O’Shea
Are we piling too much pressure on a youngster by playing him out of position...

He won just eight of his total 18 duels, was dribbled past twice, completed only 70% of his passes, and lost possession a staggering 20 times – the latter stat being the second-worst of any West Brom player. O’Shea was also slightly at fault for Forest’s equaliser, failing to stop a cross from coming in, eventually resulting in Kyle Bartley turning the ball into his own net.

Looked like he struggled against a winger, is he currently a safer bet than Furlong as a fullback?
(02-16-2020, 07:49 AM)Stratfordbaggie Wrote: Are we piling too much pressure on a youngster by playing him out of position...

He won just eight of his total 18 duels, was dribbled past twice, completed only 70% of his passes, and lost possession a staggering 20 times – the latter stat being the second-worst of any West Brom player. O’Shea was also slightly at fault for Forest’s equaliser, failing to stop a cross from coming in, eventually resulting in Kyle Bartley turning the ball into his own net.

Looked like he struggled against a winger, is he currently a safer bet than Furlong as a fullback?

He's happier when the ball is in the air. He loves a header that boy. So I think you are right, but he is a warrior and maybe Dicks in particular likes him in that position, maybe seeing something of himself in him?
(02-16-2020, 08:51 AM)SONGTHRUSH Wrote:
(02-16-2020, 07:49 AM)Stratfordbaggie Wrote: Are we piling too much pressure on a youngster by playing him out of position...

He's happier when the ball is in the air. He loves a header that boy. So I think you are right, but he is a warrior and maybe Dicks in particular likes him in that position, maybe seeing something of himself in him?
I like O'Shea and think he has a future in the game, but I can't see what Furlong has done wrong. He's a competent defender and offers much more going forward than O'Shea.
Peltier is a decent right back.
(02-16-2020, 09:42 AM)74bus Wrote:

I like O'Shea and think he has a future in the game, but I can't see what Furlong has done wrong. He's a competent defender and offers much more going forward than O'Shea.

It ain't what Furlong has done wrong, its just how Slav sets up the team. Three defenders who sit, one full back defends, other fb given licence to get forward. 

Its been like that all season. When Gibbs in, Ferguson played RB. When Gibbs out Ferguson moved to LB and Furlong came in and was the one given licence.
(02-16-2020, 09:56 AM)Stevel Knievel Wrote:

It ain't what Furlong has done wrong, its just how Slav sets up the team. Three defenders who sit, one full back defends, other fb given licence to get forward. 

Its been like that all season. When Gibbs in, Ferguson played RB. When Gibbs out Ferguson moved to LB and Furlong came in and was the one given licence.
Absolutely
Furlong in for O’Shea next game for me; Rosicki off the bench first, as Phillips looked slow and disinterested when he came on.

And yesterday we had yet another shit referee, officiating in the 3rd most supported league in Europe. Please EFL, use the money you generate to get at least one good referee down to The Hawthorns between now and the end of the season, if you have one!
(02-16-2020, 09:56 AM)Stevel Knievel Wrote:

Correct. O’Shea been a bonus really - given Slav an option
It's just down to the roles Slav wants our right back to play. Furlong is great at going forwards but his positioning at times leaves us very exposed. So many goals earlier in the season came from one of our centre backs being pulled out wide to where Furlong should have been while he was further up the pitch.

With O'Shea you're not going to get as much attacking but you also won't find him caught out of position as much.
O'Shea is a little bit like that at the moment. He seems to have a shaky start to games but then is foot perfect second half. It's inexperience that's all it is, the lad has had three or four league starts. He wasn't helped yesterday by Pereira not really defending well enough in front of him. He grows into games.

He'll learn. I would absolutely persevere with him.

To be fair to Forest they put in two crosses from their left yesterday that were absolutely quality, the one for the goal and the one for the header that Grabban messed up. They were sensational deliveries.