Brown,Thorne, and Berahino...
Dowling got hammered for the changes to the academy. While I don't agree with everything that was done, the attitudes of many players coming through seem to suggest it needed a shake up. Mentality is as important as ability and technical development. Some players and staff seemed to have been a bit too comfortable.
A lot of the changes Dowling made were the same things Darren Fletcher had mentioned as problems when comparing our academy to Uniteds. At United for example players have to wear black boots, they don't even get near the first team players until they break into that squad.

Our youth was always treated like equals, they aren't. And I do think that lead to some of the poor mentality of the youth players coming through.
(02-06-2020, 03:47 PM)Birdman1811 Wrote: A lot of the changes Dowling made were the same things Darren Fletcher had mentioned as problems when comparing our academy to Uniteds. At United for example players have to wear black boots, they don't even get near the first team players until they break into that squad.

Our youth was always treated like equals, they aren't. And I do think that lead to some of the poor mentality of the youth players coming through.

I agree with that.

Where I think it went too far was that established and loyal coaches couldn't use the same entrances. They also lost access to the canteen and have to take their food back to their desks to eat lunch.