Mexico recomandations
Stayed in the Le Blance Spa Resort a while back, couldn't fault it. Also take in

The old town, 6 pesos (about 20p) on the bus
Bull fight in the old town
Coco Bongo
Water Park @ the end of the bus run
Jungle speedboat safari

Beautiful place, just mind the Alligators if you walk by the lagoon on the way home! Taxis are also a rip off! Use the bus.
Can't go wrong with Mexico!

[Image: Mexico-3-1-of-1.jpg]
(01-19-2020, 08:47 PM)baggpuss Wrote: Can't go wrong with Mexico!

[Image: Mexico-3-1-of-1.jpg]

a thing of beauty - first car I ever owned the (G reg 1100 version obviously!)
I've done both Caribbean side and Pacific side, Caribbean side has more to see (ruins etc...). Riviera Maya was excellent.

We actually stayed in the lower end Riu (Riu Tequila), and it was bostin', however they've refurbished it, and now it looks like all the others. So I'd say any of the Riu's around there should be good. Just depends if you want top name spirits and slightly better dining experiences? The food in the lower Rius is mint, at the Palace versions you get a bit more of an a la carte type experience, but when we did the Palace on the Pacific side we didn't think that the £400 ish extra was really that much better. So horses for courses.

I really want to go back to Riviera Maya, I absolutely loved it and it is one of my favourite places that I've ever been.

If you do stay in one of the Rius down there, there are a few small shops about ten minutes walk away and there's (or was 5 years back) a brilliant tourist trip shop there that was loads cheaper than the 'official' tours and they gave a much better personal trip service. Be aware that Chichen Itza is just a massive tourist trap, but you have to see it. Tulum and Coba are much better, and if you do the snorkelling at Akumal you stand a good chance of seeing seat turtles just off the beach too, which was awesome.

Oh and if you do stay at the Rius in Playa Del Carmen / Riviera Maya, then the main strip of fifth avenue is about a 40 minute stroll away (and we felt totally safe doing it) then a cab back was about a tenner.

(01-18-2020, 10:21 PM)OneAlb1on Wrote: Booked Riu Tequilla today for March in Playacar area , can move between 3 Rui hotel’s for variation . 30 mins walk to 5th Avenue . Went AI 2 years ago to same hotel bang on and always felt safe.

Am well jealous, I loved the Tequila! It's been refurbed, so please let me know if it has kept its charm as the photos I've seen make it look generic now, whereas before it was very homely feeling.

(01-19-2020, 06:33 PM)Baggeridgebaggy Wrote: Mexico is one of the most dangerous countries in the world & its definitely affected local downtown areas of main tourist centres. Numerous gang murders both in Cancun & Playa Del Carmen. There have also been the odd murder on beaches next to & around tourist hotels

As long as you go with your eyes open, are Informed & stay at the hotel & it’s grounds you’ll be fine, but crime & personal safety is a very real consideration

A week before we went to Puerto Vallarta (Pacific side) el Chapo's son / grandson or something, got kidnapped from one of the bars there, we saw absolutely no trouble whilst we were there. It's like anywhere, don't flash your cash and expensive jewellery around and you'll be fine. Don't go down back streets at night... Heck it could be Handsworth.

We spent years worrying about going to Morocco what with the way the World is, went there last year and loved it. The Mrs is also nervous about going back to Mexico, due to everything she sees saying how bad it is, I'd go back in an instant. My family loved going to St Lucia, spoke a friend of a friend, their daughter had got armed robbed on a beach there so wouldn't go back, again I'd go back in an instant. Sure it takes one bad incident to ruin it, but the vast majority of people never see anything bad. Apart from those ones who photograph the odd dodgy wire or broken tile and then spout off about how terrible it was to try and get compensation.