Turn on Brexit Tap
...And watch economy swirl around plughole.
There certainly doesn't seem to be - as predicted by some - a stampede to be the next to leave; not even across southern Europe.
(01-13-2020, 04:16 PM)Ossian Wrote: There certainly doesn't seem to be - as predicted by some - a stampede to be the next to leave; not even across southern Europe.

that is because they can all see the threats being made and how awkward the EU are being. I think most of "some" predicted that once we had fully left and the UK didn't turn into Mad Max, then we would see others lose thier fear and perhaps push to leave. 
I'm also not sure why most of southern europe would want to leave, aren't they generally net recipients ?
(01-13-2020, 04:37 PM)Sotv Wrote:
(01-13-2020, 04:16 PM)Ossian Wrote: There certainly doesn't seem to be - as predicted by some - a stampede to be the next to leave; not even across southern Europe.

that is because they can all see the threats being made and how awkward the EU are being. I think most of "some" predicted that once we had fully left and the UK didn't turn into Mad Max, then we would see others lose thier fear and perhaps push to leave. 
I'm also not sure why most of southern europe would want to leave, aren't they generally net recipients ?

So you'll share my surpise that the NE, Cornwall and Wales all voted to leave, the nanas.  Angel
(01-13-2020, 04:44 PM)chasetownbaggie Wrote:

So you'll share my surpise that the NE, Cornwall and Wales all voted to leave, the nanas.  Angel

Cornwall I suppose may have been down to fishing rights, perhaps the north east as well? 
A big, big part of the leave vote was those who felt they had been left behind expressing their dissatisfaction with their current situation. If ever there was a single nation within the U.K. that has been left behind in post industrial Britain, it’s Wales. 
But i have it on good authority that the real reason these regions all voted to leave is because they are all stupid racists.
(01-13-2020, 05:17 PM)Sotv Wrote:

Cornwall I suppose may have been down to fishing rights, perhaps the north east as well? 
A big, big part of the leave vote was those who felt they had been left behind expressing their dissatisfaction with their current situation. If ever there was a single nation within the U.K. that has been left behind in post industrial Britain, it’s Wales. 
But i have it on good authority that the real reason these regions all voted to leave is because they are all stupid racists.

Who left them behind? Europe or successive domestic governments? Who cut their services to the bone? Oh yeah it was awful Europeans wasn’t it? 

How is Brexit going to make those areas better? Why couldn’t it have been done before if it can now?

That’s why people on the remain side think at best Brexiteers are misguided at worst stupid because they are blaming the wrong people, ignoring facts and believing meaningless three word slogans.
(01-13-2020, 07:33 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:

Who left them behind? Europe or successive domestic governments? Who cut their services to the bone? Oh yeah it was awful Europeans wasn’t it? 

How is Brexit going to make those areas better? Why couldn’t it have been done before if it can now?

That’s why people on the remain side think at best Brexiteers are misguided at worst stupid because they are blaming the wrong people, ignoring facts and believing meaningless three word slogans.
I’d say they were left behind by the shift to a more globalist economy, of which many would argue the EU is a part.  I’m not talking about “services”, that belies an attitude of reliance on the state. 
I think they would rather have decent jobs and it’s unarguable that it’s workers at the bottom end of the economy who have suffered most from the rules around EU migration. 
I don’t really buy it, but I suppose they are thinking with less unskilled EU migration, they may stand a better chance at getting those jobs and improving the conditions within them. 
There are a multiplicity of reasons why people voted to leave, mine are very different to a Newcastle factory workers I should imagine. Your final paragraph just sums up why many leavers think remainers are arrogant, condescending, know it alls. 
Ultimately, much of this is still about the bitterness of a social group who always know best being told to do one by the great unwashed and you don’t like it. In fact, it does appear you’re getting quite angry about something you can’t change and certainly have no right to, it’s really not good for you Derek.
(01-14-2020, 05:33 PM)Sotv Wrote:
(01-13-2020, 04:37 PM)Sotv Wrote: that is because they can all see the threats being made and how awkward the EU are being. I think most of "some" predicted that once we had fully left and the UK didn't turn into Mad Max, then we would see others lose thier fear and perhaps push to leave. 

I’d say they were left behind by the shift to a more globalist economy, of which many would argue the EU is a part.  I’m not talking about “services”, that belies an attitude of reliance on the state. 
I think they would rather have decent jobs and it’s unarguable that it’s workers at the bottom end of the economy who have suffered most from the rules around EU migration. 
I don’t really buy it, but I suppose they are thinking with less unskilled EU migration, they may stand a better chance at getting those jobs and improving the conditions within them. 
There are a multiplicity of reasons why people voted to leave, mine are very different to a Newcastle factory workers I should imagine.  Your final paragraph just sums up why many leavers think remainers are arrogant, condescending, know it alls. 
Ultimately, much of this is still about the bitterness of a social group who always know best being told to do one by the great unwashed and you don’t like it. In fact, it does appear you’re getting quite angry about something you can’t change and certainly have no right to, it’s really not good for you Derek.

Just to be succinct...

Services are needed by people and without them communities and individuals suffer. 
Can you really see this government creating the environment for high quality, well paid jobs? The well known anti-globalisation Conservative party. 
I’m not angry just disappointed in where this country is heading / has gone. Facts, experts, reason all out the window. I do wonder what leavers think they’ve won.
(01-14-2020, 08:10 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(01-14-2020, 05:33 PM)Sotv Wrote:
(01-13-2020, 04:44 PM)chasetownbaggie Wrote: So you'll share my surpise that the NE, Cornwall and Wales all voted to leave, the nanas.  Angel

There are a multiplicity of reasons why people voted to leave, mine are very different to a Newcastle factory workers I should imagine.  Your final paragraph just sums up why many leavers think remainers are arrogant, condescending, know it alls. 

Just to be succinct...

Services are needed by people and without them communities and individuals suffer. 
Can you really see this government creating the environment for high quality, well paid jobs? The well known anti-globalisation Conservative party. 
I’m not angry just disappointed in where this country is heading / has gone. Facts, experts, reason all out the window. I do wonder what leavers think they’ve won.

They were just lashing out at the establishment.

But they lashed out at the wrong one.

The EU didnt do 90% of the things it was accused of. Successive Conservative governments did that.

But it's done with now. Another generation will take up the Europe (or not) fight.