Madeley on transfers
(01-10-2020, 12:33 PM)SW4Baggie Wrote:
(01-10-2020, 11:39 AM)Remi_Moses Wrote:
(01-10-2020, 11:16 AM)Sliced Wrote:
(01-10-2020, 10:26 AM)Malcolm Tucker Wrote:
(01-10-2020, 10:13 AM)Sliced Wrote: Stoke have 31 first team squad members

Those two examples are hardly proof that having a big squad is crap and relying on very few players is a key to success.

What about the play-offs last season, when were bringing kids off the bench and the Villa were bringing £30m worth of players on?

I didn't say that! It's counter intuitive to say less players is better! It's just not the be all and end all outside of the extremes (last year our squad was too small, but also if we'd put Montero on instead of an unfit Leko we may not have been quite as fucked)

When I was a lad you had 11 players and 1 sub.

And they would run about 5-6km a game less, sprint at a much slower pace and the top players could still perform the morning after sinking 8 pints.

Hey I saw Wee Willie sink a pint during the game and Osborne always had a fag when the ball was up the other end of the pitch.
Bilic

SLAVEN BILIC says he is keen to add a couple of players to Albion’s squad this month – with the head coach also hopeful Grady Diangana will remain at The Hawthorns.
(01-10-2020, 10:31 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(01-10-2020, 10:26 AM)Malcolm Tucker Wrote:
(01-10-2020, 10:13 AM)Sliced Wrote:
(01-10-2020, 07:29 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: Wolves operates on a small squad of players all season and walked the league. Having a big squad doesn’t guarantee anything.

Stoke have 31 first team squad members

Those two examples are hardly proof that having a big squad is crap and relying on very few players is a key to success.

What about the play-offs last season, when were bringing kids off the bench and the Villa were bringing £30m worth of players on?

No one said either way guaranteed success but our failure last season was fine to management teams woeful defensive tactics and a lack of discipline by seasoned pros at crucial times. It would be good to get a couple of players in as long as they play but I’m not going to be too upset or make excuses for our failure to get promoted if we don’t.

The point I was making Dek was more a point on what happened once we made the play offs not why we failed to make auto's. Totally separate argument. I totally agree on why we failed to go up automatically.

My point is we were light upfront in the play offs and had no cover for Gayle as HRK had stupidly got himself banned. If we'd had a couple of strikers knocking about we might have faired better.
(01-10-2020, 12:39 PM)Remi_Moses Wrote:
(01-10-2020, 11:16 AM)Sliced Wrote:
(01-10-2020, 10:26 AM)Malcolm Tucker Wrote: Those two examples are hardly proof that having a big squad is crap and relying on very few players is a key to success.

I didn't say that! It's counter intuitive to say less players is better! It's just not the be all and end all outside of the extremes (last year our squad was too small, but also if we'd put Montero on instead of an unfit Leko we may not have been quite as fucked)

And they would run about 5-6km a game less, sprint at a much slower pace and the top players could still perform the morning after sinking 8 pints.

Hey I saw Wee Willie sink a pint during the game and Osborne always had a fag when the ball was up the other end of the pitch.

And the game sounds far worse for this loss Remi!
(01-10-2020, 01:51 PM)SW4Baggie Wrote:
(01-10-2020, 12:39 PM)Remi_Moses Wrote:
(01-10-2020, 11:16 AM)Sliced Wrote: I didn't say that! It's counter intuitive to say less players is better! It's just not the be all and end all outside of the extremes (last year our squad was too small, but also if we'd put Montero on instead of an unfit Leko we may not have been quite as fucked)

And the game sounds far worse for this loss Remi!

It's no fun now, no time to enjoy it, no longer a game. - baring a "hand of Rod moment"
Back to transfers
Good luck to Max Melbourne thanks for your contribution to the club, (who's move to Lincoln has gone under the radar).