Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Brexiteers meet realty...l
(12-06-2017, 01:18 PM)Montserratbaggie Wrote:
(12-06-2017, 12:06 PM)Pneumann Wrote: Sector-by-sector Brexit impact forecasts do not exist, says David Davis

Benn: So, just to be clear, has the government undertaken any impact assessments on the implications of leaving the EU for different sectors [of the economy]

Davis: Not in sectors. The Treasury, of course, has got an OBR forecast which has an implication, although even that is pretty crude ... There is no systematic impact assessment.

Benn: So the answer to the question is no. So the government hasn’t undertaken any impact assessments of implications of leaving the EU for different sectors of the British economy.

Davis: No.

Benn: So there isn’t one, for example, on the automatic sector?

Davis: Not that I’m aware of, no.

Benn: Is there one on aerospace?

Davis: Not that I’m aware of.

Benn: One on financial services?

Davis: I think the answer is going to be no to all of them.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mark this as the moment where it became obvious that the government was clueless on the biggest issue for a generation. They are now toast.

Unbelievable. After a year of saying they had impact assessments on the economy he admits in a blase manner they don't exist.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/pol...94481.html

[Image: DQXFwxUWsAEO3q0.jpg]

Or they do exist and they are that bad they can't show them. If so, surely someone in DexEU, or more likely someone who has left (there are plenty of them), will fulfill their patriotic duty and blow the whistle.

Either way Davi Davi is fucked.
(12-06-2017, 12:06 PM)Pneumann Wrote: Sector-by-sector Brexit impact forecasts do not exist, says David Davis

Benn: So, just to be clear, has the government undertaken any impact assessments on the implications of leaving the EU for different sectors [of the economy]

Davis: Not in sectors. The Treasury, of course, has got an OBR forecast which has an implication, although even that is pretty crude ... There is no systematic impact assessment.

Benn: So the answer to the question is no. So the government hasn’t undertaken any impact assessments of implications of leaving the EU for different sectors of the British economy.

Davis: No.

Benn: So there isn’t one, for example, on the automatic sector?

Davis: Not that I’m aware of, no.

Benn: Is there one on aerospace?

Davis: Not that I’m aware of.

Benn: One on financial services?

Davis: I think the answer is going to be no to all of them.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mark this as the moment where it became obvious that the government was clueless on the biggest issue for a generation. They are now toast.

An astonishing admission. Brexit dept not fit for purpose.
You have to love politicians.

The problem with any impact assessment is that it's invariably wrong. Why? Because behaviour changes when circumstances change. What makes it all the more difficult is no-one knows what the circumstances will be and consequently can't assess the impact of the behavioural changes that might occur.

The most effective way of dealing with Brexit could've been to assume and plan for WTO by March 2019 at the point Article 50 Notice was issued. Planning for a known outcome is possible, planning for an unknown outcome is difficult at best. Our government is hopeless. Our government did call a pointless and time consuming election. Our government was let down by Cameron leaving the scene of the incident. Our government & more importantly Civil Service is stuffed with and led by Remainers. I'm disappointed, but hardly surprised that we've ended up here.

At least one Remainer myth has been slain - the UK has zero sovereignty whilst a member of the EU. I will comfort myself with that affirmation when Corbyn enters Number 10 a fortnight before the inevitable coup d'etat.
(12-06-2017, 04:53 PM)Protheroe Wrote: You have to love politicians.

The problem with any impact assessment is that it's invariably wrong. Why? Because behaviour changes when circumstances change. What makes it all the more difficult is no-one knows what the circumstances will be and consequently can't assess the impact of the behavioural changes that might occur.

The most effective way of dealing with Brexit could've been to assume and plan for WTO by March 2019 at the point Article 50 Notice was issued. Planning for a known outcome is possible, planning for an unknown outcome is difficult at best. Our government is hopeless. Our government did call a pointless and time consuming election. Our government was let down by Cameron leaving the scene of the incident. Our government & more importantly Civil Service is stuffed with and led by Remainers. I'm disappointed, but hardly surprised that we've ended up here.

At least one Remainer myth has been slain - the UK has zero sovereignty whilst a member of the EU. I will comfort myself with that affirmation when Corbyn enters Number 10 a fortnight before the inevitable coup d'etat.

[Image: wve-white-flag-260.jpg~c200]
Arf
(12-06-2017, 04:53 PM)Protheroe Wrote: You have to love politicians.

Proth,18 months ago while you were on a long celebration of winning, I was saying you can't have your cake and eat it, that the Eu will fuck you over and you won't be able to do anything about it.ive said that your monstrous cabal of a government should stop lying and grandstanding and be honest with the U.K. public

Everything that I have said has come to pass

Not only are your lot thick and incompetent twats, as the daily debacle shows they are really piss poor politicians. Must surely be the worst government that the UK has ever had. This at a time when you need the best government you've ever had (bar 39-45)

Ironically, a government of any colour ( bar the remoaner Libs) with an ounce of wit, competence and integrity would have closed the deal by now
(12-06-2017, 09:16 PM)Donegal Wrote: Proth,18 months ago while you were on a long celebration of winning, I was saying you can't have your cake and eat it, that the Eu will fuck you over and you won't be able to do anything about it.ive said that your monstrous cabal of a government should stop lying and grandstanding and be honest with the U.K. public

Everything that I have said has come to pass

Not only are your lot thick and incompetent twats, as the daily debacle shows they are really piss poor politicians. Must surely be the worst government that the UK has ever had. This at a time when you need the best government you've ever had (bar 39-45)

Ironically, a government of any colour ( bar the remoaner Libs) with an ounce of wit, competence and integrity would have closed the deal by now

We could perfectly well have had our cake and ate it if we'd started from the point of actually leaving the EU (as I suggested above). It's clear that not even the Brexiteers in the Cabinet seem particularly keen on setting out a clear agenda to leave the EU and its institutions.

I don't dispute that this is probably the worst government we've had since the Seventies - it's a toss up between Heath / Callaghan TBH. I don't agree that a government of any colour would've closed the deal simply because the opposition can't even agree which one of their half dozen positions to stick to each day.

I'm an optimist as you know. But even my optimism is being tested.

I've often said we get the politicians we deserve. We've clearly been very bad.
Well it's a fuck up of tremendous proportions. From May not talking to Arlene and now Davis saying the impact assessments don't exist. Reminds me of villa for those 2 lovely years.
I wonder now if there are one of 2 agendas at play
1 fuck it all up so we have hard Brexit
2 fuck it all up so that we end up staying in

The other thing is - what about the SPADS and civil servants? They've got to shoulder some of this shitfuckery.

I can't recall Heath Callaghan so can't compare to them

I've posted on here before about the shite calibre of politicians across all UK parties. Agree with you there
This Tory ‘Government’ are the worst I can recall. Nearly every decision has been for the party not the country. Even now they are at loggerheads with each other over Brexit which was only brought about to appease their more troublesome Eurosceptics and stave off the threat of UKIP. Simply appalling behaviour by a rudderless party that reacts rather than plans its decisions.
The UK team are trying to square a circle that can't be squared, negotiation is about exchange not donation
which is all we have seen to date. If you are to have any chance of true negotiation, then the agenda and the
programme is key, Davies never had either and so the EU had the upper ground before anyone even exchanged
a word. I don't blame the EU team for how they have conducted the demands, faced with ill prepared and
inexperienced chancers, they took the initiative and have never let go since.

I thought that the UK team was incompetent, it is now clear that they are also incapable and in May they have
the weakest leader possible, talks that were impossible have thanks to her ill timed and thought out election
gamble, turned into an embarrassment. This is going to get worse, much worse and the truly depressing
thought is that we appear to have no one, on either side of the house who could get a grip on matters and
change the course of what is happening.