Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Manufacturing PMI
(09-21-2017, 01:21 PM)Protheroe Wrote:
(09-21-2017, 01:01 PM)logic1 Wrote: Interest rates rise due to the inflationary pressure→kill off zombie companies→ firms substitute capital for labourUK productivity growth starts to rise→peoples living standards start to rise.

In a period of growth and full employment you don't need the first three parts at all.

(09-21-2017, 12:35 PM)Malcolm Tucker Wrote: Correct. Yet many on here, yourself included, still try and attribute any bit of negativity to it...

It's the new standard get out clause. "I'll be proved right in 50 years" has replaced "We haven't left yet"

There hasn't been the fall off the cliff expected by some however to suggest there's been no impact is also wrong.

There may be benefits in the future and there are certainly a lot of risks but so far the only major impact has been on the purchasing power of ordinary workers. You may not think that's much but for an hell or a lot of people it is.
(09-21-2017, 02:29 PM)Bratislava Baggie Wrote: There hasn't been the fall off the cliff expected by some however to suggest there's been no impact is also wrong.

There may be benefits in the future and there are certainly a lot of risks but so far the only major impact has been on the purchasing power of ordinary workers. You may not think that's much but for an hell or a lot of people it is.

Expected by "some"? Well they're backpedalling now. This is what the Bank of England said:

"Brexit would lead to an economic shock – or recession – which would mean dramatic public spending cuts, job losses and years of financial insecurity for your family."

The purchasing power of ordinary workers could be hugely increased outside the discriminatory Customs Union if we adopt a liberal Brexit.

There are potential risks and benefits to every decision, Brexit is just the largest exercise in Opportunity Cost this country has ever engaged in. It is up to us to make it work. Isn't that exciting?
(09-21-2017, 04:13 PM)Protheroe Wrote:
(09-21-2017, 02:29 PM)Bratislava Baggie Wrote: There hasn't been the fall off the cliff expected by some however to suggest there's been no impact is also wrong.

Expected by "some"? Well they're backpedalling now. This is what the Bank of England said:

"Brexit would lead to an economic shock – or recession – which would mean dramatic public spending cuts, job losses and years of financial insecurity for your family."

The purchasing power of ordinary workers could be hugely increased outside the discriminatory Customs Union if we adopt a liberal Brexit.

There are potential risks and benefits to every decision, Brexit is just the largest exercise in Opportunity Cost this country has ever engaged in. It is up to us to make it work. Isn't that exciting?

For you maybe. It'd take some huge convincing for me to want to come back to live in the U.K. Especially after this. But you do agree for the average person the only thing so far has been negative and the rest is still guesswork?
(09-21-2017, 04:53 PM)Bratislava Baggie Wrote: For you maybe. It'd take some huge convincing for me to want to come back to live in the U.K. Especially after this. But you do agree for the average person the only thing so far has been negative and the rest is still guesswork?

I doubt whether the average person has noticed a damn thing BB. There's really nothing to notice.
The average person who goes to Europe has notice an exchange rate of 1.40 go to 1.10. To say otherwise is daft.
(09-21-2017, 09:31 PM)Heath Wrote: The average person who goes to Europe has notice an exchange rate of 1.40 go to 1.10. To say otherwise is daft.

The 1.40 was 2 years ago TBF

22nd June the Euro closed @ 1.30 and yesterday it closed @ 1.13
(09-21-2017, 05:03 PM)Protheroe Wrote:
(09-21-2017, 04:53 PM)Bratislava Baggie Wrote: For you maybe. It'd take some huge convincing for me to want to come back to live in the U.K. Especially after this. But you do agree for the average person the only thing so far has been negative and the rest is still guesswork?

I doubt whether the average person has noticed a damn thing BB. There's really nothing to notice.

Try asking importers whether the notice anything. Yes great for exporters but the trade balances haven't really been impacted have they?
(09-21-2017, 05:03 PM)Protheroe Wrote:

The price of my favourite wines have increased, ffs sake!
(09-21-2017, 09:31 PM)Heath Wrote: The average person who goes to Europe has notice an exchange rate of 1.40 go to 1.10. To say otherwise is daft.

And I got $2 for a £1 in New York in 2006. In the greater scheme of things markets will be markets, the exchange rate is the exchange rate.

In other news more than 4 million people visited the UK from overseas in July, a record.

Thus proving for every ying there is a yang.
(09-22-2017, 03:38 PM)Protheroe Wrote:

And I got $2 for a £1 in New York in 2006. In the greater scheme of things markets will be markets, the exchange rate is the exchange rate.

In other news more than 4 million people visited the UK from overseas in July, a record.

Thus proving for every ying there is a yang.

Agree...you said it hadnt affected the average person and it has.

Im not overly arsed about whether we leave or stay, i'm bothered about how it's done.