Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Manufacturing PMI
Up again in July to 55.1.

There area phrases like "hiring spree" and "scrambling to keep up with booming global order book".

I'm sure everyone on here will greet this unbridled good news with joy.
(08-03-2017, 07:56 AM)Protheroe Wrote: Up again in July to 55.1.

There area phrases like "hiring spree" and "scrambling to keep up with booming global order book".

I'm sure everyone on here will greet this unbridled good news with joy.

Absolutely you can see the people dancing in the streets to this news on how its changing there life.
I guess this is the reason the BOE reduced their estimate of GDP growth from 1.9% to 1.7% for this year and suggested that the BREXIT uncertainly is causing investment to remain very weak
The BoE has its own agenda which is hardly benign. They're also the same organisation that forecasted a recession immediately following any Brexit vote, so you'll excuse me if I view their political games for what they are.
(08-03-2017, 04:40 PM)Protheroe Wrote: The BoE has its own agenda which is hardly benign. They're also the same organisation that forecasted a recession immediately following any Brexit vote, so you'll excuse me if I view their political games for what they are.
Manufacturing is 10% of our GDP:

http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/NV.IND.MANF.ZS

So a slight increase in that index is pretty much meaningless. You would think a 15% devaluation would lead to improved exports but in reality all it's done is increased the value of our imports hence the trade balance is in terrible shape. Hence we are all worse off which is exactly what about 90% of academic economists said would happen.
REMOANER, TALKING US INTO RECESSION
(08-04-2017, 10:09 PM)logic1 Wrote:
(08-03-2017, 04:40 PM)Protheroe Wrote: The BoE has its own agenda which is hardly benign. They're also the same organisation that forecasted a recession immediately following any Brexit vote, so you'll excuse me if I view their political games for what they are.
Manufacturing is 10% of our GDP:

http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/NV.IND.MANF.ZS

So a slight increase in that index is pretty much meaningless. You would think a 15% devaluation would lead to improved exports but in reality all it's done is increased the value of our imports hence the trade balance is in terrible shape. Hence we are all worse off which is exactly what about 90% of academic economists said would happen.

There you go then love:

"The IHS Markit/CIPS Services PMI Business Activity Index in the UK rose to 53.8 in July 2017 from 53.4 in the previous month and above market expectations 53.6."

Be honest Logic1 - Our trade balance would still be in terrible shape even without devaluation, wouldn't it? It doesn't take an "academic economist" to work that out.