Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Action Speak Louder Than Words
(08-03-2017, 08:43 AM)Malcolm Tucker Wrote: For all the uproar over libraries being closed, does anyone either use or know someone that uses them?

Yes, plenty; but I do think it depends greatly on the demographic you belong to/have contact with.

Certain community groups find library facilities invaluable and would be hard pushed to find an alternative.
(08-03-2017, 08:43 AM)Malcolm Tucker Wrote:
(08-03-2017, 08:27 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: I'm over joyed. I will let the community know that in a year or two they will have their library back.

For all the uproar over libraries being closed, does anyone either use or know someone that uses them?

Me and my family do.

Anybody with primary school age children should really use library services. Would recommend signing up children for the summer reading challenge.
(08-03-2017, 11:24 AM)Shabby Russian Wrote:
(08-03-2017, 08:43 AM)Malcolm Tucker Wrote:
(08-03-2017, 08:27 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: I'm over joyed. I will let the community know that in a year or two they will have their library back.

For all the uproar over libraries being closed, does anyone either use or know someone that uses them?

Me and my family do.

Anybody with primary school age children should really use library services. Would recommend signing up children for the summer reading challenge.

And younger. Some of the kids sections are fantastic. At The Hive in Worcester there's little'uns running about AOTS.
Only those who don't use libraries question their importance or relevance. Obvious thing to say, I guess.
(08-03-2017, 12:00 PM)Arti Wrote: Only those who don't use libraries question their importance or relevance.  Obvious thing to say, I guess.

Must be. 

Genuinely surprised that so many use them, as I don't know a single person that does. Thought things like Google books, Amazon etc would've made them more or less redundant but clearly I was wrong
(08-03-2017, 12:38 PM)Malcolm Tucker Wrote:
(08-03-2017, 12:00 PM)Arti Wrote: Only those who don't use libraries question their importance or relevance.  Obvious thing to say, I guess.

Must be. 

Genuinely surprised that so many use them, as I don't know a single person that does. Thought things like Google books, Amazon etc would've made them more or less redundant but clearly I was wrong

Reading books on the IPad or Kindle etc is awful, you can't beat a proper book. Screen based technology has its place but for young children and older generations it's important they get a chance to read proper books and don't have to pay for all of them. Culture and learning should be open to all and a great way to access it is via libraries. 

Proth seems to revel in closing places of culture and learning down that don't charge the person for attending. Very skewed view of the world but there you go.
(08-03-2017, 12:49 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:

Must be. 

Reading books on the IPad or Kindle etc is awful, you can't beat a proper book. Screen based technology has its place but for young children and older generations it's important they get a chance to read proper books and don't have to pay for all of them. Culture and learning should be open to all and a great way to access it is via libraries. 

Proth seems to revel in closing places of culture and learning down that don't charge the person for attending. Very skewed view of the world but there you go.

There are still people out there who don't have access to the internet or can't afford to buy iPads and Kindles and the like. You see a lot of elderley and unemployed visiting libraries to access online services on the library computers. Added to that, they are a great social hub. Community groups of all ages use these spaces e.g. toddler clubs, art and crafts, knit and knatterers.

I haven't been to a library in a very long time  (as a user) but I've learnt from the wife just how vital they still are to some people.
Reading books on the IPad or Kindle etc is awful, you can't beat a proper book
. Screen based technology has its place but for young children and older generations it's important they get a chance to read proper books and don't have to pay for all of them. Culture and learning should be open to all and a great way to access it is via libraries. 

Hurrah that man!
(08-03-2017, 01:10 PM)chasetownbaggie Wrote:

Must be. 

There are still people out there who don't have access to the internet or can't afford to buy iPads and Kindles and the like. You see a lot of elderley and unemployed visiting libraries to access online services on the library computers. Added to that, they are a great social hub. Community groups of all ages use these spaces e.g. toddler clubs, art and crafts, knit and knatterers.

I haven't been to a library in a very long time  (as a user) but I've learnt from the wife just how vital they still are to some people.

This will be crushed under the boot of austerity / rationalisation / efficiencies, want books, want a hub for the community, want a place of learning then pay, pay more, just buy stuff, more stuff and if you can't buy stuff tough! I refuse to pay my taxes for such frivolities just empty the bins!
(08-03-2017, 09:05 AM)Heath Wrote: As for Proth and his stats, itll be great when it starts filetering through into a prosperous society for all. Probably once the #leastworst have been removed at the next election.

As a society, we've never been richer Jeremiah.

(08-03-2017, 12:49 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: Proth seems to revel in closing places of culture and learning down that don't charge the person for attending. Very skewed view of the world but there you go.

Have you an example of me suggesting that? No, thought not.

As it happens our local library was closed by Worcestershire County Council and reopened by volunteers because it's so well used, including by my children.