Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What would be the consequence of unlimited clean energy?
Economically? 

Is it the key to a third enlightenment?

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/...technology
My Mrs thinks it already exists.
And politically. Think of the shift in world politics if those countries supplying gas and oil were no longer holding the industrialised nations by the balls. Russia and Saudi Arabia, spring to mind. What else do they have of comparable marketable value? I'm genuinely asking as I'm not up to speed with this stuff. Are they just going to sit there and allow their influence to erode to nothing virtually overnight?
(07-25-2017, 08:41 PM)Arti Wrote: And politically.  Think of the shift in world politics if those countries supplying gas and oil were no longer holding the industrialised nations by the balls. Russia and Saudi Arabia, spring to mind.  What else do they have of comparable marketable value?  I'm genuinely asking as I'm not up to speed with this stuff.  Are they just going to sit there and allow their influence to erode to nothing virtually overnight?

Even before they sort out fission will the current trend to electric vehicles have an affect on the oil element of this? We need more renewable sources full stop.
I'll believe the hype when someone manufactures a battery without also leaving a carbon footprint the size of Andorra.
(07-25-2017, 09:31 PM)Protheroe Wrote: I'll believe the hype when someone manufactures a battery that will go in the Alfa without also leaving a carbon footprint the size of Andorra.

Fixed
Arf.
Let the markets decide....
I was listening to a chap on the radio this afternoon who said the carbon footprint laid down in the manufacture and erection of wind turbines means they are unlikely to ever be green. Then he spoiled his arguments by advocating nuclear power! Now there is a power source that is highly unlikely to ever be considered 'clean'.
The 3rd enlightenment is AI followed by FALC. We'll be stuck in the crosshairs personally - but unlimited clean energy is the catalyst not the end product.