Johnstone
(12-22-2019, 06:23 PM)HeathAyIt Wrote:
(12-22-2019, 06:16 PM)Kit Kat Chunky Wrote:
(12-22-2019, 06:13 PM)HeathAyIt Wrote: As an aside, the Brentford keeper dominated his box very well. Unusual to see nowadays.

Brentford keeper was one of the best I've seen in The Chump

Agreed

Raya... was excellent for Blackburn last year too until he went off injured.

Think I started to doubt Moore when we went 10 mins with a defender in goal and 10 men on the field without managing to work their keeper once.
(12-22-2019, 05:32 PM)wba13 Wrote: This is for those fans who dislike Johnstone.  If he made mistakes like DeGea and the clown spurs keeper Gazzinaga I could understand the criticism but he has not. I cannot think of 1 mistake that has cost us points this season for me he has been very impressive including 2 top saves in the first half against Brentford. I still think those fans who dislike him is because of the club he came to us from, instead of just seeing him asa first class keeper.
I don't think the villa thing is anything to do with it. We've had a few from there that have worked out, banishing the woeful days of the likes of Luke Moore and Ken McNaught.   I've said from the off, Sam J's biggest hurdle is simply following in Foster's footsteps. Foster was our best keeper in my lifetime and his successor will have any shortcomings rapidly noticed.
It's all about opinions and for what mine may be worth,   Sam is a decent keeper who is young enough (in that position), to improve hugely. He doesn't dominate the goal area, no one can deny that, but the rest of his game is good. One thing he does do is keep the ball moving. I reckon his distribution is a major part of our gameplan. And yes, it can go wrong now and again but generally his passing is sharp.
(12-22-2019, 07:20 PM)Tom Joad Wrote:
(12-22-2019, 05:32 PM)wba13 Wrote: This is for those fans who dislike Johnstone.  If he made mistakes like DeGea and the clown spurs keeper Gazzinaga I could understand the criticism but he has not. I cannot think of 1 mistake that has cost us points this season for me he has been very impressive including 2 top saves in the first half against Brentford. I still think those fans who dislike him is because of the club he came to us from, instead of just seeing him asa first class keeper.
I don't think the villa thing is anything to do with it. We've had a few from there that have worked out, banishing the woeful days of the likes of Luke Moore and Ken McNaught.   I've said from the off, Sam J's biggest hurdle is simply following in Foster's footsteps. Foster was our best keeper in my lifetime and his successor will have any shortcomings rapidly noticed.
It's all about opinions and for what mine may be worth,   Sam is a decent keeper who is young enough (in that position), to improve hugely. He doesn't dominate the goal area, no one can deny that, but the rest of his game is good. One thing he does do is keep the ball moving. I reckon his distribution is a major part of our gameplan. And yes, it can go wrong now and again but generally his passing is sharp.

Spot on that mate

He's a majorly important member of the team and an important component of the way we play.
Some guy turned up in the VIP seats behind me yesterday and from the off was moaning about Johnstone.
I took it for 20 minutes then told him to shut it.
We were being outplayed but it was Johnstone’s fault somehow.

The tool
(12-22-2019, 10:05 PM)Wotty Wrote: Some guy turned up in the VIP seats behind me yesterday and from the off was moaning about Johnstone.
I took it for 20 minutes then told him to shut it.
We were being outplayed but it was Johnstone’s fault somehow.

The tool

Johnson kept us in the game, early doors. Good performance yesterday, nobody could complain about him.

Brentford didn't try to exploit his weaknesses though, other teams have in the past and will in the future.
(12-22-2019, 06:16 PM)Kit Kat Chunky Wrote:
(12-22-2019, 06:13 PM)HeathAyIt Wrote: As an aside, the Brentford keeper dominated his box very well. Unusual to see nowadays.

i agree - their two centre halfs played well too.
(12-22-2019, 06:16 PM)Kit Kat Chunky Wrote:

Agreed. With a poorer keeper, it could well have been a different game but he got to most of our efforts.

Saying that, Krul had the Brummie laughing in the aisles last season and they still went up.
(12-22-2019, 06:51 PM)Remi_Moses Wrote: Sam is a Brilliant keeper, IMO it's between him and Casilla as who is the best in the division.
I'm waiting for his call up.

He's not a brilliant keeper at all.

A brilliant keeper would dominate his area. Johnstone barely dominates the first couple of yards off his goal line.

That said he's been pretty good this year and made some fantastic saves. I'd say he's got some way to go to be spoken of as being truly outstanding though.
(12-22-2019, 11:28 PM)Moore Than Wrote:
(12-22-2019, 06:51 PM)Remi_Moses Wrote: Sam is a Brilliant keeper, IMO it's between him and Casilla as who is the best in the division.
I'm waiting for his call up.

He's not a brilliant keeper at all.

A brilliant keeper would dominate his area. Johnstone barely dominates the first couple of yards off his goal line.

That said he's been pretty good this year and made some fantastic saves. I'd say he's got some way to go to be spoken of as being truly outstanding though.

Over the last 3 seasons he has been the best keeper in the championship IMO. Can't ask more then that.
Best keeper in the Championship is Brice Samba at Forest by some distance IMO

Luckily he signed after we played them, so we were up against someone flappy instead