Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
the clayheads
(07-18-2017, 08:47 AM)Sw4Baggie Wrote:
(07-18-2017, 08:21 AM)GunsOfNavarone Wrote: Good initiative but I can't help thinking they'd be better served subsidizing ticket prices rather than providing free travel.

That way everyone gets the benefit, no matter how they wish to get to games.

Think our club should do the same when it comes to the free annual away day coaches too.

Always good to have a few extra quid in your pocket.

Not sure it's quite as powerful that way... Say you take 2000 fans to every away game on average, over 19 games with the 250k budget you'd be reducing ticket prices by £6. Since most clubs are signing up to the £25 away fan price I'd say free coaches is a better initiative than the difference between £25 and £19 a ticket...

Free coaches allows people to get to games who don't own cars and when trains may be too expensive or too irregular.

Are they really? I thought the £30 price cap was staying in place.

Not to worry though, if you're happy how our annual freebie is distributed then I'm happy that you're happy.

I reserve the right to disagree with you though  Wink .
(07-18-2017, 08:56 AM)GunsOfNavarone Wrote:
(07-18-2017, 08:21 AM)GunsOfNavarone Wrote: Good initiative but I can't help thinking they'd be better served subsidizing ticket prices rather than providing free travel.

Think our club should do the same when it comes to the free annual away day coaches too.

Not sure it's quite as powerful that way... Say you take 2000 fans to every away game on average, over 19 games with the 250k budget you'd be reducing ticket prices by £6. Since most clubs are signing up to the £25 away fan price I'd say free coaches is a better initiative than the difference between £25 and £19 a ticket...

Free coaches allows people to get to games who don't own cars and when trains may be too expensive or too irregular.

Not to worry though, if you're happy how our annual freebie is distributed then I'm happy that you're happy.

I've not mentioned our use of the 250k.
And haven't mentioned if I'm happy or not. 
But other than that, reserve whatever rights you wish.
(07-18-2017, 09:21 AM)Sw4Baggie Wrote:
(07-18-2017, 08:56 AM)GunsOfNavarone Wrote:

I've not mentioned our use of the 250k.
And haven't mentioned if I'm happy or not. 
But other than that, reserve whatever rights you wish.

OK will do, thanks for that Big Grin  .
I assume away numbers have held up well due to this initiative DK?
Albion's recent away support patchy at best. Decent numbers at the London grounds & new or 'a while since we've visited' grounds. But others poor.
The club really need to bring something like this in, as our away support is dying out. Bar the London fixtures, we struggle to get more than 1500 in
Malcolm Tucker Wrote:The club really need to bring something like this in, as our away support is dying out. Bar the London fixtures, we struggle to get more than 1500 in

When Jenkins was here we often sold out our allocation... of course that's easy when you only take about ten tickets to begin with.
(07-18-2017, 09:37 AM)cunninghamismagic Wrote: I assume away numbers have held up well due to this initiative DK?
Albion's recent away support patchy at best. Decent numbers at the London grounds & new or 'a while since we've visited' grounds. But others poor.

I'm not really the best person to ask mate. I very rarely go to away games - aside from a few corporates at Old Trafford via a friend, I've only been to one other away game since we reached the Prem. So it's not a subject I've got direct experience of, or pay too much attention to.

I know the figures had dropped quite a bit by the end of Pulis' time at Stoke ("a good day out ruined by the football" was the common mantra of those who travelled). The initiative coincided with the start of Hughes' time at the club, and the first two seasons provided some good results/performances, so a combination of this and the free travel saw an increase in numbers. The results/performances over the past two years haven't been so hot, but the numbers have held up so far.

These are comments on Stoke's official site from our CEO on confirming the initiative was continuing this coming season:

“Last season we took an average of 1,896 fans to away games, an increase of 40 per cent on the away support we took to games before we introduced free travel. Before 2013, we were taking an average of three or four official supporters’ coaches to away games but now we’re taking an average of 14 coaches to each game.