Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mayday
(07-10-2017, 05:21 PM)Donegal Wrote: Are you still winning Proth?

My glass is always at least half fulll Donny.
(07-10-2017, 06:13 PM)Protheroe Wrote:
(07-10-2017, 05:21 PM)Donegal Wrote: Are you still winning Proth?

My glass is always at least half fulll Donny.

Mine too, my hope that the Tories would be hobbled by people such as myself voting for Labour (the first time ever I might add) has it seemed worked. As you always say "least worse"

As you can imagine that was up against some pretty stiff competition!
It's amazing how quick the tone of people has changed. When the election was announced some tories had taken on an almost Villa like aura of condescending and lecturing about Corbyn, the left and Labour shortcomings. I was told how funny it would be that June would see the termination of Labour. Yet when you look through history, the tories very rarely win a landslide and in reality 2010 and 2015 were more inadvertent electoral accidents than any kind of real victory. Now it seems this centre-right country is polling at 46% to the left and thirsty for real and lasting change. And not a moment too soon.
(07-10-2017, 06:52 PM)Heath Wrote: It's amazing how quick the tone of people has changed. When the election was announced some tories had taken on an almost Villa like aura of condescending and lecturing about Corbyn, the left and Labour shortcomings. I was told how funny it would be that June would see the termination of Labour. Yet when you look through history, the tories very rarely win a landslide and in reality 2010 and 2015 were more inadvertent electoral accidents than any kind of real victory. Now it seems this centre-right country is polling at 46% to the left and thirsty for real and lasting change. And not a moment too soon.

Heath, there's been no real appetite for the Tories for thirty years now; their last substantial majority was Thatcher's 100+ in 1987. In '92 Labour's hubris gifted them another undeserved term - a tiny majority which had all but gone by May '97. Within  four months of that parliament they were permanently hobbled by 'Black Wednesday' and just hung on for the remainder of the 5 years, praying for a miracle.

Since then we've had 2 Labour landslides; a more than workable Labour majority in 2005; a hung parliament in 2010; a tiny Tory majority (12 was it?) in 2015, surrendered (more than) within 2 years by the return to a hung parliament. The latter being another lesson in the perils of hubris, which is blessedly non-partisan in delivering its come-uppance!
Is spot on in every respect. Dead cat bounce from a party that really and truly on the path to extinction.
Quote: real and lasting change

Thank goodness we'll always be there to clear up the mess after 5 years of real and lasting change. Wink
(07-10-2017, 07:49 PM)Protheroe Wrote:

Thank goodness we'll always be there to clear up the mess after 5 years of real and lasting change. Wink

You don't really clear anything up you just kick the rubbish down the street a little further and away from the leafier areas.

If only that myth were true.
Lasting change? Yes, if only.
(07-10-2017, 08:15 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:

You don't really clear anything up you just kick the rubbish down the street a little further and away from the leafier areas.

Very good.