Ron Saunders
(12-08-2019, 09:57 AM)Cheshire East Baggie Wrote: I'd no idea he was still alive. He did exactly what the board asked him to do at the Albion, cut the wage bill. The sale of so many good players wasn't his choice.

There were many more culprits for our demise in 1991 - the board kept selling good players (e.g. Burrows and Palmer) and appointing bad managers (Gould). Talbot completely lost the plot as a manager once he stopped playing himself, he was mental to go all long ball with Big Sam as his first team coach. Can't blame Ron Saunders for any of that.

RIP Ron. A huge legacy in the game, just not for us!

Yes this is my recollection too.
If we'd had social media in the 90s we'd all have been in meltdown.
Dire, dire times, which lasted, basically, from BFR's departure until Thomson and sir Gary 
I don't blame any of the managers. The club was a third rate mess, and they all - Smith, Buckley, Talbot, and the rest, made the best of a bad job.
RIP Ron.

Met him once c1975 at Bodymoor Heath when I was invited there by a mate who played for the seals and he came over and spoke to me in the canteen and shook my hand.  Real gentleman.
(12-08-2019, 11:45 AM)Spandaubaggie Wrote:
(12-07-2019, 08:24 PM)Mancbaggies Wrote:
(12-07-2019, 07:38 PM)ColliersWoodBaggie Wrote:
(12-07-2019, 07:32 PM)Spandaubaggie Wrote: Sick with dementia for many years. Funnily out with a Villa lad and just broke the news to him. Great manager, but rubbish by the time he came to us and set us on the spiral to the misery of the 90s.

I was at Leeds in '87 when we were willing them to score to get him sacked - Sherian scored a 25 yarder and we celebrated - goodbye to Saunders.

RIP to the main though - he suffered in later years.

That’s the one.  August BH Monday defeat. Gone by the Wednesday
Yep, I was at Elland Rd for that one. If I recall right, Naylor player a stormer. They should have won by 4 or 5.
 Good memory