Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MPs salary
Am I the only one who thinks that £74k isn't really commensurate with the role. I'd give em £100k and this is from someone who generally has little faith in politicians
TDs here get 90k euro
I'd pay them far more. Maybe then we'd get a few that are semi-competent, rather than megalomaniacs who'd otherwise be sat as Magistrates that we currently have
Yep and ban anyone from coming in via PPE, researcher, SPAD,MP route
Let's have people who have done proper jobs in the real world for 10 years minimum.
What have they done to deserve a huge pay rise when nurses police and fire service have had a pay cut for almost a decade?
(06-29-2017, 10:24 PM)Malcolm Tucker Wrote: I'd pay them far more. Maybe then we'd get a few that are semi-competent, rather than megalomaniacs who'd otherwise be sat as Magistrates that we currently have

Double the pay, half the number.
I would be happy with them having £100k a year which would include expenses and be their only job whilst serving. No other directorships etc. I would also like to see cabinet and shadow cabinet ministers in positions in which they have experience e.g. the health secretary from a career or education in the health sector.
Oh fuck it, give em £200k. As they serve the people so well I feel they deserve it.
In theory there is a lot to say for increasing MPs pay, but given the public sector pay freeze and also the fact that wages in the private sector are hardly soaring, the perception of our legislators giving themselves a big pay rise would go down badly with the general public.

If they were to get a pay rise, I would like to see a ban on second jobs. Can't help thinking that if yo have a job with an annual salary in excess of 100k, then you should be devoting all your working hours to that job.

Proth I don't believe in reducing the number of MPs, I genuinely believe at a constituency level decreasing the number of MPs will mean an unreasonable work load for conscientious MPs. Reducing the number of members of the House of Lords that's another matter.

I always rhought it was a strange thing that we were attempting to reduce the number of elected parliamentarians, whilst at the same time presiding over an increase of unelected ones. A peculiar exercise in democracy.
Given the bloke who runs our place earns 266k i'd say the MP salary is low but then most of them gain connections that give them a high income for the rest of their lives outside of politics too.
I'd be completely up for a merit based increase in Mp salaries if It comes alongside electoral reform. Both parties are riddled with cronyism. The thought of paying £200k for below average but well connected individuals would be unpalatable.

Something also needs doing about 2nd jobs (easy, ban them) and subsequent directorships (difficult).