Zoltan Gera interview in the Athletic
(11-15-2019, 09:45 PM)Big Daddy Cool Wrote: If we had kept him and Phillips in the 08/09 season we'd have been much closer to staying up. Saying that our defence would still have been shite.

We were only 3-4 points off surviving that season, and ultimately the two late equalisers in a week at home to Pompey and Blackburn after we’d played them off the park but couldn’t finish did for us.

Had we kept Kev alone I’m convinced we’d have survived.
(11-15-2019, 10:23 PM)albion_pigeon Wrote: One of my favourite players still, on his day sublime. Cheers for the memories Zolly.

Ps. Fuck off Mowbray Big Grin

+1

Love the bloke. Always In my favourite Albion 11 of all time list.
(11-15-2019, 11:00 PM)Cheshire East Baggie Wrote: Mrs Chesh and I spent a weekend in Budapest, staying in a flat belonging to a colleague's Hungarian wife. Bargain, something for nothing. There we are, chatting to our children on Skype, when there's a banging on the door. Angry neighbour, used to the flat being empty, we've woken up his 2 month old baby etc. etc. (spoke passable English, of course). Many apologies, then we got onto football. I mentioned the Baggies. Total change of mood. Zolly is an absolute hero over there. One of the bright lights through his time at our club, and obviously the same wherever he's been.

Similar story. My best mate’s stag was in Budapest. Saturday afternoon, just us in a dive bar by the digs, playing pool and fussbal with about two hours worth of credits loaded on the juke box. Stag party being a stag party as you’d expect. 

A dozen or so local regulars land and the atmosphere changes completely, as they’re clearly not happy that we’re in control of their pool table and juke box etc. We think it might be time to go as it’s getting decidedly moody. 

Barmaid changes the channel on the TV and puts the football on. It’s Ferencvaros. I say to my mate the stag “Gera’s playing”. Pissed, he stands up and starts “Gera, Gera, Gera” to the TV. Within 5 minutes we were into one of the best sessions I’ve ever had. 

The power of Zoltan!!
In September 2004, I sat in a bar in Cavtat Croatia watching Croatia v Hungary, this was the first time that I saw our new signing play as I didn't go to Blackburn away, where he made his debut, every time he touched the ball, the Croat commentator mentioned West Bromwich Albion, also that night another player heavily linked with us Huszti, got sent off for an out and out assault.
Love Zolly. Seem to remember Meggo having to return from holiday to conclude his signing when we were fannying about. That goal against the bin dippers! My favourite was the one away at Tottenham to get a 1-1, great away night that was. Probably the first sign that we were actually serious about being in the PL at the time.
That boster v Liverpool.